New Intervalometers

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Janne

New Intervalometers

Post by Janne »

I have designed two intervalometers that I'm planning to manufacture for sale. What do you think of them? Can you imagine yourself buying one? Those are pretty much the lowest prices possible.

Model 1

- Interval time: can be set between 1 sec and 99 h 59 min 59 sec.
- Shoots 1 to 4 frames at a time, or continuous run that can be set between 1 sec and 9 min 59 sec.
- Extremely low current consumption. An internal high capacity capacitor supplies current while changing the batteries without interrupting shooting.
- Wide operating temperature range: -20...+70 Celsius.
- Ruggedized construction.
- A warning ligh flashes 30 seconds before the interval time ends (before shooting).
- Can be used with many different cameras. For example: Aaton 16 & 35 models, Ikonoskop A-Cam, Canon EOS cameras, Nikon cameras with an IR-remote control function, video cameras with a Control-L/LANC socket, Panasonic video cameras with a remote control socket.
- About 400 EUR.

Model 2

- Interval time: between 1 sec and 99 h 59 min 59 sec.
- The display shows the time remaining to the next shooting.
- Specifically designed to be used with still cameras but can be used with MP cameras as well. Works with most Canon EOS models. Built-in infrared remote transmitter for Nikon cameras.
- About 200 EUR.
aj

Post by aj »

Most important here would be that it can control a S8 filmcamera through its 2.5mm remote control.

Then it can/should have intervaltime and duration. Number of exposed durations. delayed start. I.e. a bit what a 70-ties Nikon MT-1 can do. Or what is the name of this Agfatimer for silvery Moovexooms.?
Handy would be when it could count frames used. Pricing would be more atttractive at Euro 50-100.
Kind regards,

André
Janne

Post by Janne »

Most important here would be that it can control a S8 filmcamera through its 2.5mm remote control.
Yes, they can.
Then it can/should have intervaltime and duration.
Model 1 has adjustable duration from 1 sec to 10 minutes. Model 2 shoots one frame at a time.
Pricing would be more atttractive at Euro 50-100.
I know, but you can't even get components for that. Btw, those prices includes VAT.
themagickite

Post by themagickite »

would it work on an 814e?

let me get this straight: you can set up your interval timer so that it takes one frame every X units of time, and that frame can be a time exposure where the shutter is open for x units of time? even time exposures on an 814E? if so that's awesome!

i'd be interested, but it is expensive. if/when i do start playing around with interval stuff i'd want something like that that gives you lots of flexibility,
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Janne wrote:Model 2 shoots one frame at a time.
That's the problem: Some Super8-cameras require the electrical signal to last for nearly a whole second to release the shutter for a single frame while others are quite happy with a signal that lasts only a few milliseconds.
This space was left intenionally blank.
Janne

Post by Janne »

jpolzfuss wrote:
Janne wrote:Model 2 shoots one frame at a time.
That's the problem: Some Super8-cameras require the electrical signal to last for nearly a whole second to release the shutter for a single frame while others are quite happy with a signal that lasts only a few milliseconds.
It is designed to control Canon EOS still cameras. That's why there are two output signals, a second long pulse to activate the exposure meter, and a few millisecond long pulse to expose. Either one of them can be used to control a super-8 camera.
Janne

Post by Janne »

would it work on an 814e?
Yes.
you can set up your interval timer so that it takes one frame every X units of time, and that frame can be a time exposure where the shutter is open for x units of time?
Yes. If your camera supports time exposures.
even time exposures on an 814E?
I don't think a 814E can do the "bulb" thing.
i'd be interested, but it is expensive.
It would be possible to make the model 1 about 100 eur cheaper. But then I'd have to leave out the thumbwheel switches (they're really cool!), use a plastic case instead of the aluminum one, use cheaper connectors, and make it consume more power. Now the current consumption is 35 uA. Not milliamperes but microamperes. I could do that, but is it worth of it? I don't know. Professionals appreciate durable construction.
aj

Post by aj »

Janne wrote:
Pricing would be more atttractive at Euro 50-100.
I know, but you can't even get components for that. Btw, those prices includes VAT.
That would be in proportion to a S8 camera which is bought at Euro 50-200.

Euro 400 may be fine for expensive still or cine cameras of like Euro 800 and up.

Code: Select all

--------
        |      |
--------|      |---------
  T1      T2      T1
For filming it in timing would need an adjustable T1 and T2 and then 1 or n-number times of T1-T2 pairs.
A counter would be nice.
Kind regards,

André
fogo

Post by fogo »

Nice product Janne,

keep up the good work and best wishes for the units.

Ade
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I would consider buying one...

It depends on the size and cables.

Good Luck
Angus

Post by Angus »

Even though I have a couple of cameras with built in intervalometers, I would consider this product - if it were cheaper...say 100 euros max. I'd have use for it on cine and still cameras, in theory at least.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

Janne, if you can assure me that your unit do work with a Beaulieu 4008 (exposure issues, connections and cables), you can consider this as one of your first pre-order.
arnaud.
aj

Post by aj »

arnaud wrote:Janne, if you can assure me that your unit do work with a Beaulieu 4008 (exposure issues, connections and cables), you can consider this as one of your first pre-order.
arnaud.
The 4008 has very poor functionality when controlled through the electrical remote control. It is just as a switch in the powercircuit instead of some regulated mechanism which will make it complete full frame expose-transport-cycles. There is no garantee that the shutter will stop in a closed position. I.e. you may (will) get burnt out frames.
Kind regards,

André
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

AJ,
Thanks for your expertise, I never used this function on a Beaulieu.
It seems that Janne just lost one of his first pre-order.
I wonder if Bjorn could do something about this burn out frames fatality?
aj

Post by aj »

arnaud wrote:AJ,
Thanks for your expertise, I never used this function on a Beaulieu.
It seems that Janne just lost one of his first pre-order.
I wonder if Bjorn could do something about this burn out frames fatality?
Maybe there is a modern solution to it.

There was a Beaulieu add-on which mounted on the left-side drive -axis mount. It made possible to do single frame exposures. Cannot tell if it permitted for electric remote control.
Kind regards,

André