An open letter to Andreas and the Forum

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Jim Carlile

An open letter to Andreas and the Forum

Post by Jim Carlile »

Hi Andreas,

I noticed that the last time I looked, the two threads I started about Yale Labs were still open and still contentious. I think it's time to start locking them, and maybe instigate a blanket 'No more Yale' policy in the future.

This issue comes up every now and then, and it never gets resolved, no matter who brings it up. So I think we should just put it away for good.

You know, I truly feel that most of this problem is Yale's fault alone. They've had plenty of chances to issue statements about just how they enforce their "content policy." That they haven't done so raises serious questions-- like, if they say they don't take footage, it's an admission that their policy has no teeth in it and can be easily violated. I can't think of any other reason why they have never clarified it for people.

Whatever. But there's a bigger problem.

I'm having a difficult time understanding just how someone like Roger Evans (Moviestuff) can misrepresent statements of mine from another forum, that are almost ten years old, as being somehow indicative of my current feeling about Yale Labs. He seems to propel these kind of threads, as if he has somehow been designated the Grand Inquisitor, and it is bullying behavior that has clearly alienated other longtime posters to this forum, no matter the topic. Many of them have been chased away. The main reason I was so vociferous years ago is because I thought Roger was doing a major, major disservice to inquiring film students by claiming that there were no serious consequences in violating Yale's content policy.

This flew in the face of everything I had ever heard, known, known about, or was told; by film students, film professors, friends, and key personnel at other local film labs. From what I know, none of the "Yale defenders' have had access to the same kind of stories or people that I've had, especially those who aren't from Southern California. So why they continue to argue about it, or ridicule people who challenged Yale, I don't understand.

From what I suspect, things have changed there, and of that I have no doubt. Yale are good people and they've done a lot for super 8. But don't anyone tell me about the 80's and 90's here in the Southern California super 8 and 16mm world. I have no reason to believe that any of my references had any possible reason to lie. And as a matter of fact, complaints about film lab behaviors extend way beyond Yale!

Regardless, I think it's time to end this topic, forever. Sorry I brought it up.
mattias

Re: An open letter to Andreas and the Forum

Post by mattias »

Jim Carlile wrote:I'm having a difficult time understanding just how [someone] can misrepresent statements of mine from another forum, that are almost ten years old, as being somehow indicative of my current feeling about Yale Labs.
i agree. some people here tend to do that and i always simply respond that i've changed my mind and/or know better now, which is both natural and fair.

/matt
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Jim Carlile wrote:
I'm having a difficult time understanding just how someone like Roger Evans (Moviestuff) can misrepresent statements of mine from another forum, that are almost ten years old, as being somehow indicative of my current feeling about Yale Labs.
First off, your posts are much more recent; a little less than 5 years ago (2002), so this says something about how unfamiliar you are with your own positings and is indicative of your lack of research before you post, even about something that you should have first hand knowledge of.

Second, do people have a problem with Yale's policies? Of course they do. So do I. The policies are silly and too rigid, in my opinion, and no doubt that catches some film makers by surprise. But that really isn't the issue you are really trying to prove, which is that they seize footage and sometimes "snip snip" as you suggest to enforce their content policy.

Jim, I and others over the years have repeatedly asked you to provide proof to support your claims, or links to first hand accounts of people that had their film seized or destroyed as you have repeatedly claimed over the years. This was necessary since, by your own admission, you have had absolutely zero first hand experience with the problems you speak of. Without you presenting the evidence you claim exists, all that's left is you and I commenting on the liklihood of whether Yale could operate as you suggest and get away with it, legally. I consulted an attorney because you clearly did not and were making public statements about a business that could have far reaching consequences for them and you, frankly.

Yes, that was 5 years ago. But if you have changed your position about Yale Labs, that was not evident in anything that you posted recently. Perhaps you think that anyone that uses links and quotes and evidence to back up their counter position is a "bully" but, personally, I think repeating negative second and third hand accounts about something you have no personal stake or experience in, just to make a lab you never use look bad is much worse.

And, remember, there is still nothing that prevents you from posting links or proof of your claims.

Roger
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

mattias wrote:
Jim Carlile wrote:I'm having a difficult time understanding just how [someone] can misrepresent statements of mine from another forum, that are almost ten years old, as being somehow indicative of my current feeling about Yale Labs.
i agree. some people here tend to do that and i always simply respond that i've changed my mind and/or know better now, which is both natural and fair.

/matt
Of course. But is there any indication in Jim's recent post that he has changed his mind?

Roger
mattias

Post by mattias »

i've no idea what he thought before, i haven't followed the thread in question. i just offered him a way to tackle such situations in the future.

/matt
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Jim Carlile wrote:
From what I suspect, things have changed there, and of that I have no doubt.
Great. Then there's nothing else to discuss.

Roger
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

MovieStuff wrote:
Jim Carlile wrote:
From what I suspect, things have changed there, and of that I have no doubt.
Great. Then there's nothing else to discuss.

Roger
I dunno - if he only "suspects" it, then that leaves room for doubt. ~:?)

Mitch
etimh

Post by etimh »

Fuck walmart.

:wink:

Tim
yolia

Post by yolia »

You boys bitch more than any real girls I know. You don't like Yale? You do like Yale? Whatever. Move on for chrissakes.
Victor