Wide-angle attachments

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Static8

Wide-angle attachments

Post by Static8 »

I'm looking for a wide-angle and fisheye attachments for my Canon 1014 XLS. Any suggestions? I belive that the size $£€€{{]}\
Static8

Post by Static8 »

What the hell just happened?!?! I dunno. Anyway, the size of the Canon lens is 67mm.

Thanks!

Mikko
Maurizio

Post by Maurizio »

Well... THere is a dedicated wide angle attachment from Canon: it's the C8. Sometimes they appear on ebay. Good luck
Basstruc not logged in

Post by Basstruc not logged in »

I would not buy any of those "super8 dedicated" wide angle converter like Canon C8 or Nizo UWI/II/III if I were you because those are not well done & does not convert your whole lens lenght (understand focal). Once, I bought a Nizo UWIII, first think I did when gone home with my new toy was to clean it cause I saw a little dirt on it. I took my special lens cleaner (that did never cause me any problems before), start a delicat cleaning & but too late, I saw I was doing lots of scratch on it. Why ? Because it's fucking plexiglass. Since it's a wide angle converter & was shooting super8, the dof was so long that I could see scratch I done via the viewfinder. :x
Better try one of those new high quality wide angle converter made for DV camera.
Matt
jukkasil

Post by jukkasil »

Sorry guys, but I put some Finnish text here:

Mikko!

Mun 1014 XL-S:n kanssa tuli tuo C8-laajakulma. Se on hyvässä
kunnossa, 4,5 mm, eli suhteellisen laaja.

Mä olen kuvannut sillä vasta yhden kerran yhdelle testifilmille ja en saanut kyllä sitä tarkennuttua oikein kunnolla, vaikka säädin tarkennuksen äärettömälle niinkuin suomenkielisessä manuaalissa sanottiin ja tarkennin sitten makrolla. Täytyy testailla sitä lähiaikana lisää, jotta saisi sen toimimaan kunnolla. Se on kunnon lasilinssi, ei mikään muovinpala. Harmi kun et ehdi sinne kaitistapaamiseen mukaan, mä otan tuon kameran ja linssin sinne mukaan muiden romujen kanssa.
Best Regards

Jukka Sillanpaa
andycine

Post by andycine »

Hi, the canon c8 convertor will take your lens down to 4.3 on a 1014xls and 4.5 on the 814xls...you cannot zoom thru the convertor,its a fixed wide angle, you have to put the lens in macro mode...now are you in the uk???? i may sell one of mine.....
shralp, not logged in

wide adapter

Post by shralp, not logged in »

True, the Nizo UW series are plexiglass. This is one of the reasons I've purchased the Canon C-8. Better optics, real glass, and pretty small too. I've got one for my Nizo Professional so I use a 62mm to 67mm step up ring. Looks like I have some slight barrel vignetting due to the step up ring pushing the rear element away from the lens face of the camera, but I can zoom in to it in the telecine to alleviate this problem. On an underscanned monitor you will probably notice it but it may not even show up on a standard TV screen as it is. Check out the C-8...
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

ive got one of those nizo uv3 lens and sure enuff its plastic and very lightweight. it does the job though. century makes some nice video lenses. i have one of their .7 for my sony dxc327. its very sharp; expensive though.
-=rob
Static8

Post by Static8 »

Thanks guys, and kiitti Jukka!

I might go for those video camera wide-angle attachments, Sony, Canon, whatever... if I find a used one. Real fish-eye lens would be the coolest, but so damn expensive.

Is there a lens attachments that I can use without macro?

Andycine, I'm not from England, Finland. E-mail me if you are selling your lens! ( staticrecords@hotmail.com )

Mikko
18fps

Post by 18fps »

Since I don't know how to put jpgs in a post, I can email "with c-8 and without" photos thru the viefinder of my 1014. The converter has extreme barrel distortion. If it was a true fisheye lens this kind of distortion would be expected, but it's only equivalent to about a 24mm lens on a 35slr- not really super wide. But since this is a fixed lens camera, I'll take what I can get. Let me know if you want photos . In the meantime, I'll try to figure out how to paste the pics. Later-Ted
Cheers, Ted Patterson
Maurizio Di Cintio

Post by Maurizio Di Cintio »

Basstruc not logged in wrote:I would not buy any of those "super8 dedicated" wide angle converter like Canon C8 or Nizo UWI/II/III if I were you because those are not well done & does not convert your whole lens lenght (understand focal). Once, I bought a Nizo UWIII, first think I did when gone home with my new toy was to clean it cause I saw a little dirt on it. I took my special lens cleaner (that did never cause me any problems before), start a delicat cleaning & but too late, I saw I was doing lots of scratch on it. Why ? Because it's fucking plexiglass. Since it's a wide angle converter & was shooting super8, the dof was so long that I could see scratch I done via the viewfinder. :x
Better try one of those new high quality wide angle converter made for DV camera.
Matt

Well, as other people have stated clearly before me, the Canon C8, unlike the Schneider UWL I/II/III, is not made of plastic. so the beginner of this discussion can rest safely.

As for the other issue(s) you've brought up: it's true one can use video converters, generally speaking , but the front lens element of cameras like Canon 1014 XLS and Nizo 6080 (to quote but a couple) is so big that it would be pretty hard to get a suitable one. Unless you apply at Century Optics, but in that case I guess it would cost a fortune. It was just for this reason I suggested the dedicated solutions, although it's true the lens cannot be zoomed in anymore since it works in the macro field.

AS for the plexiglass: the material the Schneider UWL's are made of is clearly stated in the informative leaflet which accompanies all of them, along with instructions to clean them without damaging. On the other hand, the attachment's (light) weigth itself should tell someone it surely may not be made of glass. I own one of this objects and can confirm what another forum member said: it does the job. even if it's scratched a little: minor scratches can be lessened avoiding critical angle of light beams, so it's not so serious.

Just for the sake of clarity...
Maurizio
Basstruc not logged in

Post by Basstruc not logged in »

the material the Schneider UWL's are made of is clearly stated in the informative leaflet which accompanies all of them, along with instructions to clean them without damaging.
You may had the chance to get this brochure : I did not.
On the other hand, the attachment's (light) weigth itself should tell someone it surely may not be made of glass.
Sure, but the problem is that there's not protective treatement. My glasses are also plastic made but have never scratched it for 2 years now. As I told :"I took my special lens cleaner (that did never cause me any problems before), start a delicat cleaning". Not like if I did use a toothbrush.
it's true one can use video converters, generally speaking , but the front lens element of cameras like Canon 1014 XLS and Nizo 6080 (to quote but a couple) is so big that it would be pretty hard to get a suitable one. Unless you apply at Century Optics, but in that case I guess it would cost a fortune.
Was more thinking about those :
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=d ... =RXXL5000P
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=d ... =RXXL7000P
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=d ... =RXXL3000P

Not really pricy : this is almost ( maybe less) the price you have to pay for a 20 years old UWIII. But as you can see, those are also limited zoom capability, to bad.

Matt
18fps

Post by 18fps »

Here is what one can expect using a C-8 wide converter on a 6.5mm lens. The pictures are through a Canon 1014xl-s. The camera is about 1.5m from the screen windows.

Cheers, Ted Patterson
shralp, not logged in

Post by shralp, not logged in »

Unfortunately, for those of us that want to go with a wide adapter, using a new video adapter lens from Sony, canon, etc, won't work in most cases. Believe me, I've looked. All the offerings from Century, Kenko, etc stop at 58mm and most of the S8 cams I've seen, (like my Nizo Professional), are around the 62-67mm range. Raynox does make one that has a "variable" thread size adapter that basically is a spring loaded face that pushes against the inside of your lens barrel threads to attach but is doesn't stay on very well and I noticed that it really had alot of barrel vignetting on my Nizo.