Schneider-Kreuznach UWL III with "Few Fine Scratches.&q

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gene_can_sing

Schneider-Kreuznach UWL III with "Few Fine Scratches.&q

Post by gene_can_sing »

Hi,

I really need a Wide Angle option for my Beaulieu 4008ZM2. I saw this Schneider-Kreuznach UWL III listed on: http://www.super8camera-shop.com

It was listed as "Near Mint" with a "Few fine scratches." They wanted $132 US dollars including shipping from Europe.

Would you guys buy a lense with a "Few fine scratches" for that much? Also, do you think a few fine scratches would show up on the film? Or will I not be able to see it.

Another question. Does the wide angle adapter screw onto my schneider lense? Is that how they work?

Also, is the image quality using a UWL adapter even comparable to a prime Wide angle lense??

Thanks for any response.
beaunizo

Post by beaunizo »

This shop has been subject in a complaint/discussion about optimistic descriptions and not accepting return of camera with unclean lenses.

The UWL easily scratches and if mentioned by seller then you can expect it is considerable scratched.

Shipping is likely overpriced and at $132 you can find a better deal.
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

It's way overpriced anyway. You might be able to use the Canon Ultrawide adaptor in place of it-- there are two, 67mm and 46mm (something like that)
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

Wittner is selling new or at least re-manufactured UWL-lenses for the same price (or even cheaper):
http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katal ... optike.php

Not to mention that I got my UWL-lens for 30 EUR (incl. shipping) on eBay.de - and it was mint and without scratches!

So I would rather check any of the other shops that sell used equipment:
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Categor ... r_Telecine
(As you can see in Wiki: Some members of this board already had some bad experiences with the super8camerashop...)

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

I also got a nice condition (unscratched) "ultrawide lens type nizo 1 schineider-kreuznach" some time ago.. IIRC it was a UK Ebay auction and cost me less than £20... If you need it fast, you'll have to pay the price, or if you can wait it will eventually show up on Ebay....

Gianni 8)
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

There's an identical item on offer at eBay now. It's http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1.

These are aspheric lenses, so Schneider kept production costs down by molding them in plastic. As such, they're much more easily scratched than glass lenses. The 6mm focal length of Schneider's Optivaron zoom lenses becomes 3.9mm with this converter, so that's an appreciably wider view for little money. In order to work, the lens to which the converter is attached must have the moving group of rear elements that provide macro focusing.
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

FYI, the canon c-8 wide adapter for the 1014xls will vignette on the schneider 6-66 lens.

I do not know if the UWL will vignette.
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

The Schneider UWL conversion lens doesn't vignette on the 6-66mm f/1.8 Optivaron lens. Given that existing superwide C-mount primes aren't cheap and the Century Optics 2.5mm f/1.8 Extreme Wide Angle fixed focus C-mount lens designed especially for Super 8 was discontinued a long time ago, the Schneider UWL lens is a good way to increase the field of view of the lenses that accept it.
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

Dont even think about the UWL with scratches - they will show up clearly on anything you shoot... I bought one cheap (30 bucks I think) because I thought it was worth a try - money wasted :cry:
what what
Plastik

Post by Plastik »

I use the UWL lll on my Nizo 801M and it's been fairly good. It needs plenty of light though - it starts to blur when there is insufficient light.
I don't know if I'd go and buy one that is scratched - I'd say they would show up a lot.
Ertugrul Togacay
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

What's the filter size for the 6-66? After thinking about it, would a 67mm Canon or UWL even fit that lens without a big time adaptor?

I know the Canon 67mm works great on the 6080 Schneider...FWIW.
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

how wide is the 6080 schenider?
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

Jim Carlile wrote:What's the filter size for the 6-66?
The Schneider-Kreuznach 6-66mm f/1.8 Optivaron lens has a 62mm front attachment size. The UWL conversion lens has stepped 62mm and 67mm threads.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

jusetan wrote:how wide is the 6080 schenider?
I believe the lens fitted to the Nizo 6080 is a Schneider 7-80mm f/1.4 Variogon Macro Zoom.
D_Odell

Re: Schneider-Kreuznach UWL III with "Few Fine Scratches.&q

Post by D_Odell »

Old thread, but I have a question on what will happen if you use an wide angle attachment on a lens that don't have macro function? Will it be usable at al?

Thanks!