Our new slide unit

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

Our new slide unit

Post by MovieStuff »

Okay, it's not super 8 but I'm kinda proud so here are the baby pictures.

Don't have a calculated price yet but already have a waiting list for this new baby. Will automatically cruise trough a 120 tray of slides in about 15 minutes or so. Uses a Canon Digital Rebel (not included) and the images are razor sharp. No Digital Ice but for customers with thousands of slides that need them in a hi-res format on the cheap, the SlideStream is very efficient. Mucho better than using a video camera and the scans are more than terrific for 8x10 prints. I should have it on the website in a few days but I thought you guys might like to get a sneak peak. I'll have some hi-res downloads on the site later, as well.

Later,

Roger
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

Oh my. Any (ballpark) price?
what what
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

After adding up production costs, the introductory price will probably be $2195.00, which does not include the camera. The unit looks deceptively simple but it is actually fairly complex to make. The entire inner guts of the projector have to be removed and the light/viewing path simplified to make room for the lens/extension tube set. Anyone that has ever worked on an Ektagraphic slide projector knows what a time consuming process that can be. Auto-focus does not work well when using extension tubes, therefore, a high f-stop is needed (f32) to keep all slides consistantly in focus. This higher depth of field means that the light diffuser has to be pretty far back, otherwise imperfections and dust will be visible on the surface of the diffuser. The larger diffuser means a jumbo light source, as well, or you run the risk of a hot spot. The large structure at the back is a light well containing a tungsten balanced, 150 watt flourescent. Seems like overkill but, believe me, we experimented with a ton of lighting schemes, from LEDs to halogen to you name it. The unit has a logic circuit that waits for the camera to finish each exposure then advances to the next slide as soon as it starts writing to the flashcard. Because the length of time the camera needs can be anywhere from 1/4 second to several seconds, you can't just use a preset timer without slowing things down to the longest possible exposure for all slides. The logic circuit allows it to proceed as fast as the camera will let it. Therefore, you can use it for both JPEG and RAW mode files, as it will allow the time necessary to write either one to the drive before making the next exposure. The extenal LCD display is orientable, depending on whether you have slides upside down or right side up. One of the trickiest things was the camera mount. It had to be adjustable but also rock solid and absolutely immovable after being locked into position so that it could withstand having the flashcard removed repeatedly. And then there is the auto stop feature, which will stop the process automatically after a full tray or at any point if the tray is not full. A sound tells the user that the process is finished. This unit replaces our previous SlideStream models that used a video camera. This is muuuuch better. :)

Roger
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

A wonderful machine...
I can not wait to see some results.

If I would live in Texas, I would ask you to work together.
I could make parts for you...
Or you could hire me as the weird European inventer :lol:
Yes, I do have the German like accent.

But here I am, in Belgium :oops:

Fred.
Last edited by VideoFred on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my website:
http://www.super-8.be

about film transfering:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_k0IKckACujwT_fZHN6jlg
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

VideoFred wrote:But here I am, in Belgium :oops:
Just a different kind of Utopia . . .

Alastair

P.S. Roger, that is stunning: you really are amazing!
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Fred, if you lived in Texas, I'm sure I would hire you. :)

Alastair, thanks for the compliments.

This unit has had a very weird genesis. Because we had customers asking for units to automatically put slides on video, we originally released some units a couple of years ago that used 1CCD and 3CCD cameras. They worked fine for viewing on television but the problem was that customers with slides generally had a lot of slides - like thousands at a time - so even a reduced rate per slide represented a lot of money to be spent. While scanning with a Nikon slide scanner at 50 cents a slide represented a financial loss for small telecine shops (due to the slow speed of the Nikon scanner and their tendancy to jam), it is still more than most customers with 5000 slides wanted to pay. But customers didn't want to pay a lower rate of 25 cents a slide, either, if it meant they were locked into video resolution. Of course, the reality is that they were not likely to do anything other than view all these slides on television and certainly were not likely to have prints pulled from every single one, either, but that wasn't the point. Limiting the resolution to video quality represented a lack of value per slide so they would shop around until they found a place that would simply take it on the chin and do the slides job at a loss just to get the rest of the telecine, videotape and DVD business that was also in the box along with the slides.

So the problem was that when someone came into a small shop with a big box of films, video tapes, etc, our customers (that buy our equipment) were secretly hoping "let there be no slides, let there be no slides" because they simply could not make money doing large volume of slides with a Nikon scanner, and other bulk scanners were just way too expensive to be financially viable for a small shop. But now they have a choice, as the results from our new SlideStream unit is good enough to satisfy people with large volumes of slides that need high resolution viewing, such as on a computer or HD or even prints up to 8x10. If they need ultimate resolution on selected shots, they can always have those handful rescanned on a Nikon scanner but at a higher price that actually makes the shop owner money. I think this new unit is going to be very popular with small shop owners struggling to handle large volumes of slide orders.

Roger
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

very cool.

makes me want my snipers to be black now. (kind of like the computer phase, they all used to be beige, now black is the 'in' thing)... i think black just keeps my keyboard looking cleaner.
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
filmamigo

Post by filmamigo »

Nice! Looking forward to seeing hi-res samples.
David W Scott
Producer / Director
"The Behaviour of Houses"
http://www.behaviourofhouses.com
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Okay, this is just a 72dpi reduction from an original scan. I used Photoshop "autolevels" for correction but no sharpening.

I hope to have some higher rez versions up on the website soon.

Roger
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Okay, the SlideStream page is official on the air. There are some hi-res examples that can be downloaded and printed out on 8 x 10 photo quality paper.

http://www.moviestuff.tv/slidestream.html

Roger
filmamigo

Post by filmamigo »

Looks nice, perfect for the target audience. Someone like my dad, with 400 trays of slides, who wants to view them directly on his computer screen.

Viewed at 100% magnification, the shots are a little soft. But scaled to fit a 1024 x 768 monitor in a slideshow, they are sharp and colourful. I'm sure they print nice 5x7's too. It's the rare person who will ever print anything more than 4x6 or 5x7.
David W Scott
Producer / Director
"The Behaviour of Houses"
http://www.behaviourofhouses.com
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

filmamigo wrote:Looks nice, perfect for the target audience. Someone like my dad, with 400 trays of slides, who wants to view them directly on his computer screen.

Viewed at 100% magnification, the shots are a little soft. But scaled to fit a 1024 x 768 monitor in a slideshow, they are sharp and colourful. I'm sure they print nice 5x7's too. It's the rare person who will ever print anything more than 4x6 or 5x7.
Yeah if you blow them up too big they can get soft but, as I note on the website, the SlideStream isn't designed to compete with Nikon slide scanners. The idea is to provide 8 x 10 printable quality. As you note, most people are happy with 4x6 or 5x7 but if you download the samples and print them on 8 x 10 photo paper, the results are beautiful and sharp. I think they are going to be very popular. I put them on the website this morning and, I'm not kidding, exactly 1 minute and 45 seconds later someone placed an order. Gonna get busy, I think. :)

Roger
clivetobin

Post by clivetobin »

MovieStuff wrote:... Gonna get busy, I think. :)
Roger
How do you handle those pesky vertical slides?

At one time I was daydreaming about a gadget to copy peoples' photo prints to video, using a flat version of a Carousel and automatic timing and indexing, with an operator manually loading and removing the prints, but I decided not to bother with it. Partly because of the different photo sizes, shapes and orientation.

Looks like an excellent product, and I hope you have good luck with it. So much in fact that you will want to give up making movie transfer equipment, and give up the market to some other company making it that will be nameless. :-)
JhnZ33

Post by JhnZ33 »

clivetobin wrote:Looks like an excellent product, and I hope you have good luck with it. So much in fact that you will want to give up making movie transfer equipment, and give up the market to some other company making it that will be nameless. :-)
:wink: Wishful thinking? LOL
History frozen in the frame of 8mm
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

clivetobin wrote: How do you handle those pesky vertical slides?
The operator does have to turn all vertical slides on their sides, if they want full resolution. The lens can be pulled back to capture the vertical as a horitzontal but that cuts the resolution in half (though it still looks very good). I had considered making the camera mount orientable so that it could be turned 90 degrees to accomodate an entire tray of verticals but, realistically, most slides in trays are horizontal or are a mixture. I decided that it was better to have the camera mount solid and immovable once it was locked down, since the operator would be handling it a lot taking the flash card in and out. Having to prep the tray is actually easier than going through all the slides and cropping them later just to accomodate the minority of verticals. However, we will eventually be offering a software solution to automate that very function. At that point, the camera could be pulled back and all slides would be shot "as is", regarding orientation, and the software will sort out the cropping.
clivetobin wrote:At one time I was daydreaming about a gadget to copy peoples' photo prints to video, using a flat version of a Carousel and automatic timing and indexing, with an operator manually loading and removing the prints, but I decided not to bother with it. Partly because of the different photo sizes, shapes and orientation.
Great minds think alike. Yes, a rotating table with fields marked on the outer edge had entered my mind, as well. A very workable idea but I abandoned it because of the size. It would be a huge thing to ship and take up too much room, especially if you wanted to handle 8 x 10 prints. What we tried, instead, was just a two field base that slides left and right. You load a print onto the left end, slide it to the right and that action automatically starts the copy, write process for that image while you load the right end. Then you slide it to the left to capture that image, etc. However, initial tests show that the two field approach, like the circular idea, really doesn't save that much time, compared to just having a base with fields marked off, like a regular copy stand. Also, a vacuum base is really more ideal for handling small, curled photos. Our next design is incorporating a vacuum base and a modified Rebel zoom that will allow the operator to have electronic control over the cropping and a foot pedal to start the vacuum, capture, and release sequence. I think that is going to be the most practical and easier to ship, too!
clivetobin wrote:Looks like an excellent product, and I hope you have good luck with it. So much in fact that you will want to give up making movie transfer equipment, and give up the market to some other company making it that will be nameless. :-)
Hah! Be careful what you wish for!

Considering how broke we were when we started this company, having lost our business and our home in the floods of Alison, I am obviously very grateful for the success we've had. I do not take it for granted. However, after 5+ years and 2000+ units, it sometimes feels like a weight around my ankle. I'm a film maker at heart I long to get back to making films and being creative. Thank god I rediscovered painting or I really think I would have lost my mind by now. However, I really do love interacting with my customers and I've made friends all over the world that I didn't have 5 years ago. I also like the creative aspect of designing equipment, so I don't hate what I do. In fact, I really love it. But no vacation in 5 years makes Jack a dull boy (and grumpy). We're just about through moving the rest of our shop to Utopia and I'm training some new people to take on more of the final QC and that should give me some breathing room. It sounds like your company is doing quite well. I'm sure you'll get all the business you can handle. But, as I say, be careful what you wish for..... :wink:

Roger