old old Ektachrome and also very old AGFA Moviechrome film?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

dr3wrocks

old old Ektachrome and also very old AGFA Moviechrome film?

Post by dr3wrocks »

Is it still possible to have these stocks processed? I'm bidding on a lot auction, the biggest thing is that the majority of them are sound film.

however, if these are difficult, expensive, or impossible to have processed, then if i'm not outbid i'll have wasted a ton of money.
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

I know from personal experience that agfa moviechrome ca 1989\90\91 can be used with luck. It can turn out with a bluish tint and it can turn out almost fin.

Search this forum and ye shall find. (threads about moviechrome that is)
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

http://www.super8.nl can process them and aren't too expensive.
Angus

Post by Angus »

How old is the Ektachrome?

If it is before around 1984, and does not say "EM26" on the cartridge label then processing is costly and can only be attempted by one or two labs in the world.

If your Ekta film is EM26 then processing isnt too bad and the results are often good...depending on how it was stored.

Agfa Moviechrome film can usually be processed by Frank at Super8 Lab Netherlands...results vary depending on age of film and storage...but you are pretty sure to get some sort of image.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
thebigidea

Post by thebigidea »

Who processes EM26 affordably, by the way? I've got three type G carts i'm tempted to use with heavily gelled lights to possibly get some colors other than yellowish green.

On edit it seems Yale does it for $20 a roll once a month. Urgh. They'll probably return my film on account of blasphemy! I assure you, mr Lab Person, I had no intention of depicting the Book of Leviticus in such an unclean way...
dr3wrocks

Post by dr3wrocks »

Apparently it all expired in the late 70s/early 80s.

I probably won't even bother with the ektachrome, the auction includes 6 rolls of the agfa crap.
aj

Post by aj »

You can find the last version of Agfa Moviechrome ot the middle 90's regularly on eBay (white boxes). Doable prices and far better chanches for usable results.
Kind regards,

André
Angus

Post by Angus »

dr3wrocks wrote:Apparently it all expired in the late 70s/early 80s.
Then I wouldn't bother. You can't get it processed at any sort of economical rate...nor quickly...and results would likely be very strange...
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
dagman

Post by dagman »

What processing does the AGFA Moviechrome require? E6, VNF or something else altogether?
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

E6 processing can be used for AGFA Moviechrome. Not sure if it is VNF, E6 or something else, but E6 works fine for AGFA Moviechrome.

I have found that VNF process film works fine with E6 also.

It's great to just experiment with old film by home processing. Most old colour film can be processed at home as B&W neg if it won't work with E6.

Processing it yourself is the best way to go with old film, you can just do 1foot at a time and mess with the timings until your happy with the results.

If you have any problems home processing. Leave a message with you result so far and I'm sure someone will have the answer to most problems.

Good luck!
Chris.
Angus

Post by Angus »

VNF and E6 are very similar...so any film intended for E6 could be processed VNF and vice versa...with a little difference in the colours...on old stock you might well not notice...

Agfa Moviechrome tends ot be E6, though some earlier formulations might have been different.
peaceman

Post by peaceman »

I have developed old SOund Ektachrome and Moviechrome in E-6 -- see http://www.peaceman.de/musik/CMS.mov for a (bad) telecine. Actually just taped form a viewer's screen.

The purple part is Moviechrome, the yellow part at the end is the Ektachrome. Both were expired in the early 80s I think.