Still photography

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Superbus_

Still photography

Post by Superbus_ »

I know this topic is too general but a few days ago I visited a very stimulating photo exhibition of old famous photos of Brassai, Robert Capa, Kertész, Moholy, Munkácsi: I think nobody can make better photos than these photographers from the past.

I'm recently involved in photography and I it seems to me, being a good photographer is indispensable to be a better filmmaker. I know this is a commonplace but I’m also interesting in the technique of photography. I like to try different ways of it: old rangefinders and mechanical slrs are my favourites. Generally I prefer older cameras and lenses to newer ones. I also use digital cameras but I don’t like too much.
So, to sum it up a few questions occured and I'm just curious...

What is your favourite still photo camera? Analog or digital, Slr (dslr) or rangefinder (or maybe pinhole or camera obscura?! )

What do you think about super 8 stills as an independent way of photography: I mean not part of filmmaking but as a unique and interesting way to make still photos?[/code]
astro_tiki

Post by astro_tiki »

SLRs: Minolta SRT-101, X-370, and Nikon EM
Rangefinders: Yashica Electro GSN, Olympus XA2, Zorki 4, and Rolleimat AF
Point and shoot: Canon AF35ML, Yashica T-4, Konica Big Mini, and Leica Mini
Toy: Holga and Jazz Jellies
Angus

Post by Angus »

Oh still photography is how I started...and I say I learned a lot of important skills.

My favourite cameras are....

Praktica BX20s 35mm SLR...last of the line from Pentacon Dresden...full manual control (even works without a battery) or aperture priority semi-auto...great range of lenses were made from Praktica, Ziess, Sigma and Tamron for it. Dedicated flash can be synced at any shutter speed, interfaces with the exposure system on the camera and has a huge range.
Has one disadvantage compared to the more expensive Japanese cameras.....its shutter is a tad noisy.

Zeiss-Ikon 512-16 medium format folding camera....the machine I learned on...manual everything (no batteries in cameras in those days)...no light meter...fly on manual 100% of the time. Larger frame forces you to think about focus.

I own several more, those are my two favourites.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
super8man

Post by super8man »

I teethed (sp?) on a Contaflex SLR shooting Ektachrome and Kodachrome (more Ektachrome than Kodachrome though). Also B&W. Never did "print" film until I got into the Nikon system.

However, now I like my Leica IIIf with a 15mm Heliar. I have returned to where I started with B&W photography and will probably be here a while. I have given up digital photography as not being serious craft. My goal now is to take pictures without batteries and without digitization at any step.

But, many "images/scenes" out there are best suited for a movie camera (with correct personal choice of film) while others lend themselves to still shots.

Oh, to say noone can be better than those photographers is a bit over the top. May as well quit now I say.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
mathis

Post by mathis »

Yeah, I'm also discovering still photography again. I use a fully mechanical Nikon FM2N with some fine Nikon prime lenses. It has a great feel with great results.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I am own a Nikon F5 and keep going back and forth on getting a digital. I was all set to about 6 months ago and then I got cold feet. I'm shooting some homes with my friend's Mamiya 645 as a promo for a builder and if they like them I would like to go back with a 4x5.

Either way...I shoot a alot of still images. Yesterday, I was out shooting stock for a clothing company but the location just wasn't what I thought it would be. There are a few decent shots but all in all the results weren't what I wanted.

Good Luck
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

The first SLR that I used was my father's Canon TX. Later, I bought my own SLR - a Canon AE1 and this camera is still the main SLR that I use today. Since then, I aquired several lenses and also a Canon A1 which was a semi-professional model - (a well designed and versatile camera which i really enjoyed using) but the light meter went crazy only after a short period of time so I took it back and exchanged it for a Canon T70.

Although the T70 incorporates more modern technology including some automatic features, I feel that overall, the Canon AE1 is a better designed and more useable camera. In fact, some of the automatic features of the T70 are a real hindrance. On the other hand, the T70 does have partial metering, which the AE1 lacks, and this is a particularly useful feature.

More recently, I obtained a much older Canon Ftb which has a mechanical shutter - great for doing long time exposures without having to worry about battery drain.

Ive also picked up a Zeiss Contaflex slr from a camera market which Ive put one roll of film through and the exposed transparencies were beautifully sharp. Though I find removing and reinserting the back (for film loading) very finnicky which puts me off using this camera more.

For medium format, I use a Koni Omega Rapid. Basically, this is a mechanical rangefinder that was designed for photojournalists during the 60s and 70s. The size of the exposed frame is 6x7. This is a very unusual camera - some aspects of it are intelligently designed and other aspects are very awkward, and occasionally frustrating. As far as interchangeable lens medium format camera systems go, it is quite inexpensive and the quality of the optics is quite impressive, considering the low price. On the other hand, very few lenses were made for this camera - only a total of four. This camera is very rough on cable releases which seem to wear out quick quickly. Most of the cable releases that I have used with the Koni Omega have only lasted about a week each. There was another cable release (which was a bit more sturdy) that lasted for about two months. Though the release that I am currently using (which is even more sturdy) has so far lasted several months.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

I like and own examples of the Nikon F Photomic FTn, F2, and F3HP. These cameras are versatile, having a broad range of lenses and accessories. They're very robust and, even if they eventually need repair, were made in such vast numbers that skilled repairers aren't hard to find. The early M-series Leica cameras are wonderful, too, but they and the lenses for them have gotten very expensive.

If I find the right subject, I will take the trouble to use a Deardorff 4x5 Special or Linhof Master Technika - the former a sturdy, simple workhorse, and the latter, a slightly more versatile instrument of very high quality. I used to lug around an 8x10-inch Deardorff, too, but the combined weight of camera, lenses, film holders, carrying case, and tripod was sixty-five pounds, so that, in spite of the spectacular images it made possible, I had to give it up.

I've read about a photographer-filmmaker using a Bolex H16 RX4 camera as a sort of motor-driven stills camera - a function to which the camera is well-suited - but I think the much smaller size of the Super 8 format would limit its usefulness for still photography. You'd also need to find a Super 8 camera whose mechanism would be suited to frame-by-frame exposure. I wouldn't be concerned using the single-frame release on my Beaulieu 4008 ZM II for a while in that mode, but I'm not sure the switch would survive cartridge after cartridge.
davta9

Post by davta9 »

i use a yashica TLR for my portrait work and a manual focus canon SLR for when i want more of a safety net. 24/36 images vs. 12 on the tlr. plus its faster..(not always a good thing)

here is my photo site

http://www.davtaphoto.com
mattias

Post by mattias »

canon lenses turn the wrong way. i almost even hate my beloved 814 for that reason, but lucklily you don't spend as much time turning the rings in super 8.

my weapon of choice for stills used to be the nikon f90x (n90 in the us) but sadly i don't have one anymore. using a minolta dynax 5 now, for size mainly, and moving to digital, but i'd love to own one again.

/matt
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Nigel wrote: I'm shooting some homes with my friend's Mamiya 645 as a promo for a builder and if they like them I would like to go back with a 4x5.
Do yourself a favor and get a Pentax 6x7. Unbelievably sharp on huge negs. The shallow depth of field is amazing and you can focus ridiculously close for a medium format camera. Blows the 645 out of the water. And the 6x7 is made exactly like a 35mm SLR. It even looks like a 35mm SLR on steroids. Way cool.

Roger
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

There's a recent book out (slightly bigger than 8x10 and quite thick) featuring 'Sports Illustrated style' photos of super models in bikinis posing by the beach. According to the text, all the photos in the book were taken with a Pentax 67 and they are beautiful images. Also a great way of promoting film in this digital age that we currently live in.
sk360

Post by sk360 »

My current favorite old 35mm is the Olympus Om-1.It's really small and get's amazingly good pictures. Although it’s a SLR, The Engineers who created it were inspired by the Leica M3. Just this weekend I picked up a Mamiya RB 67 with a 127mm lens for $200. Right now I'm testing it out and just shot a roll yesterday. Digitaly, I really like Canon's 20D. Unlike alot of sub $1000 Digital Cameras, the 20D has a X- synx Of up to 1/250, which is very nice if your using Strobes/Mono Lights.
Last edited by sk360 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Roger,

I know the Pentax 6x7--I was offered one back in Montana for 800 with two lenses. They are really cool cameras. Beasts for sure. But, I don't really want to rent a camera for this gig since it isn't something that I am going to be making big bucks on. This way I get to borrow their camera and if the builder likes the photos then I will hit them hard for the next set.

These people don't really know what is up so anything I give them will look far and away better than what they have.

I was also eyeing the Mamiya 67. They have been showing up cheap. Hell today I saw a Hassie 6x6 for 500 with an 80mm lens and two backs.

Good Luck
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

I have a Pentax SLR and love it. No other way to go IMHO. The lenses are plentiful and thus cheaper for good ones.
I have a digital camera but it serves mostly as a paper weight.