surveillance cameras and the beauty of internet

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

ossioskari

surveillance cameras and the beauty of internet

Post by ossioskari »

oh man, i completely ruined my plans for this morning, this stuff has to be the most addicting pastime since i don't know what. type into google:

inurl:/view/index.shtml

most of the hits starting by an ip-number are accidentally-left-open-to-public webcams from all around the world. nothing sleazy, just some surveillance cams from schools, bars and businesses etc.

now how interesting can a neighborhood store entrance get? woohaa, it really does!
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Hah! Hilarious.

I think this one is interesting:

http://aucam.dyndns.biz/view/index.shtml

I wonder if the guests at the Hyatt in Melbourne know they are being watched from across the street by someone half way around the world? :oops:

It blows my tiny mind that we can control the camera, zoom, focus, etc.

1984 in 2006. Crazy.
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

Yeah i got addicted to this for a while, strangely compelling :)

Ages ago a couple of big forums discovered this type of thing and found some great ones, noodle bars in japan etc with lots of activity... probably most of them exceeded their bandwidths I imagine due to the unwanted attention...
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

Found some interesting ones in labs etc where you could zoom right in on (probably not) top secret equipment etc :)
ossioskari

Post by ossioskari »

they even got the surveillance camera in one computer room of my school. what an age we live in :D : http://blindedby.it.helsinki.fi/view/index.shtml
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

This is strangely compelling and fascinating, even though there's hardly a soul on the screen. At the moment, I'm watching some place which must be a school or university or something similar. I see a square shaped oval surrounded by buildings.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Oh poo...I can't download the axis plugin at work.
Actually there is one machine I can do that on.......
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

whata? there are some offices and stuff?? imagine seeing something you shouldnt...

they are comming to get you!
Angus

Post by Angus »

Wow...that is so cool....I'm watching three guys wander around on the roof of a large building.....
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Woah....I'm watching a parking lot with a construction crew - and the camera is being controlled by someone else - and there is a zoom in on this parked car with a box in the back. A frame filling close up of the car. Whoever is controlling the camera seems to be interested in that box in the back of the vehicle. And I can even see the license plate number on the car.
ossioskari

Post by ossioskari »

Rollef wrote:whata? there are some offices and stuff?? imagine seeing something you shouldnt...
almost there 8O. i found one inside this office which is obviously a consulate or so, and the camera is pointed directly to the manager's worksdesk. i seriously don't think he is aware of that. oh man, i'll never be able to depart with my computer again.
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

This used to be entertaining on the T1 at the local library until they blocked all unapproved software downloads which made watching these cameras impossible. What amazes me is you can now buy a standalone digital video recorder for about $360 plus cameras that will email you if it detects motion. You can get video clips or photos, or you can log into the box and zoom around on your own with a live video feed. Great for security on your own. Long ways from the 8mm film camera in the wall box plus developing time. That's after you discovered the camera had been tripped either by alarm or when opening the business in the morning to find everything gone.
etimh

Post by etimh »

This is really wild--actually being able to control some camera on the other side of the world from your computer. Blows my mind.

Does anyone know how it "works?" Is it run by some central corporation/institution or is it just some kind of decentralized P2P thing?

Or does google do the work by just compiling all the feeds? I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around this... :?

Tim
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

"...actually being able to control some camera on the other side of the world from your computer."

Hmmmm...that's odd. With the cameras that Ive viewed, they are being controlled by someone else. They zoom, pan and tilt to the wishes of some unknown entity. If I try and click on the pan options etc, nothing happens.
super8man

Post by super8man »

inside someone's house?

http://www.texkitty.com:81/view/index.shtml

and this guy is sweeping the restaurant floor:
http://70.159.138.67/view/index.shtml
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/