Bell & Howell Filmosonic XL 1225

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Splee

Bell & Howell Filmosonic XL 1225

Post by Splee »

I'm now the new owner of one of these cameras, recently acquired from a friend for the price of postage. I got it because I was after something suitable for E64T, and I think it will do the job.

I've been unable to find much out about the camera - perhaps you could all help? It seems to be an 18fps-only camera - can anyone confirm? This is what I'd like, as it's the speed at which all my film is shot. It also seems to have non-TTL metering - there's a small window beneath the lens, which I hope to cover with suitable neutral density material to adjust the thing from K40 metering.

Any advice on all the necessary tricks for doing this are welcome. Any comments on what these cameras are like? It looks pretty nice.

Lee
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Not much info on it in Jürgen's book beside its lens and that it's 18fps.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Splee

Post by Splee »

Well, that's a useful start.
Simon McConway

Post by Simon McConway »

Well, I have just had a look at the most recent edition of Smallformat magazine, where models of Super 8 cameras are tested with the new 64T film. Your camera has the following note next to it; The exposure needs to be set 2/3 of an f-stop lower than that measured by the built-in light meter. One must always take this adjustment into consideration before shooting, and, to be honest it's too much to think about! Whether the exposure adjustment is always remembered is a different matter. Having said this, I would say try a roll of 64T in your camera, adjusting the exposure manually and basically experimenting. This is what I did, in all of my cameras. And, not one of them really ruined any film...some exposed better than others, but none ruined film. Just give it a try. See what happens.