small film magazine

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

camera8mm

small film magazine

Post by camera8mm »

is the small format magazine in existance still?
i have emailed to add a subscription, but the email for smallfilm is invalid.
reflex

Re: small film magazine

Post by reflex »

camera8mm wrote:is the small format magazine in existance still?
i have emailed to add a subscription, but the email for smallfilm is invalid.
smallformat is very much alive! The first issue of 2006 was mailed to everyone who requested a subscription a few weeks ago.

The magazine has a new web site: smallformat.de and you can send your subscription request directly to Juergen's spiffy new email address: lossau@smallformat.de

And now, I'm off to do some work on the next issue before Juergen catches me lounging around on the forum. :lol:
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Angus

Post by Angus »

I got my copy of the second issue a few days ago and have been reading it ever since. There's a nice little article on the Fuji lab, contrasting how they feel honour-bound to support the format they created with how Kodak treats super 8 Kodachrome. Also a feature on single 8 cameras which makes interesting reading even if you've never handled one.

There's a truly fascinating story of a man who has spent 40 years making a feature length Perry Rhodan film on std 8mm.

Basically, one can say that the nice mix of articles and generall quality of the magazine is every bit as good as issue one. Oh and a great ad from Wittner on the inside back cover...and another from GK advertising their Cinevia on the outside back cover!
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Personally I preferred my copy of Super8 Today.

Yes, Small Format is a much more beautiful magazine....but:
1) There is too much focus on retro & nostalghia
2) No film reviews or coverage of current super-8 productions or projects
3) An article on Plus-X without any super-8 or 16mm frame grabs.
4) An irrelevant lead article on film screenings on airplanes (so what?!)
5) Hardly any coverage of 16/S16 technologies.

I don't want to be too critical of the endeavor but I really think Juergen should get out a bit more and find real people making s8/16mm films/festivals.

In this way Chris's mag was much more interesting with the interview of the Sundance girl, review of Sleep Always and article on experimental filmmaking.
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Angus wrote: There's a nice little article on the Fuji lab, contrasting how they feel honour-bound to support the format they created with how Kodak treats super 8 Kodachrome.
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about ... per8.jhtml

http://211.14.18.70/query.html?qt=singl ... rch=Search

Mitch
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

This wasnt another thread about weather or not you thought the content was good but if the magazine had a contact because the now old contact is nil.

if you have a complaint about a magazine not providing enough coverage, (i could go on and on about "filmmakers" or "moviemakers" which have sold their soul to dv) start your own magaziine.
Juergen

Post by Juergen »

what contact? they are all still existing:

redaktion@schmalfilm.biz
lossau@smallformat.de

these are my two email addresses

pavelec@schiele-schoen.de
for any subscriptions

thanks
juergen
http://www.atollmedien.de
the books about all cameras and projectors ever built
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

camera8mm wrote:This wasnt another thread about weather or not you thought the content was good but if the magazine had a contact because the now old contact is nil.

if you have a complaint about a magazine not providing enough coverage, (i could go on and on about "filmmakers" or "moviemakers" which have sold their soul to dv) start your own magaziine.
I could care less why you started the thread. Film projects are the lifeblood of the medium, otherwise its just about polishing up your antiques.
reflex

Post by reflex »

npcoombs wrote:I don't want to be too critical of the endeavor but I really think Juergen should get out a bit more and find real people making s8/16mm films/festivals.
There's nothing stopping you from writing something for the magazine that highlights films or festivals.

I've seen some of your work and I'm sure others would enjoy reading about the process and technicalities of putting a short together. :)
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Juergen

Post by Juergen »

npcoombs wrote:Personally I preferred my copy of Super8 Today.

Yes, Small Format is a much more beautiful magazine....but:
1) There is too much focus on retro & nostalghia
2) No film reviews or coverage of current super-8 productions or projects
3) An article on Plus-X without any super-8 or 16mm frame grabs.
4) An irrelevant lead article on film screenings on airplanes (so what?!)
5) Hardly any coverage of 16/S16 technologies.
Well, please let me just correct some wrong infos:

1) yes, we have some retro topics but we have double content than Super8Today, so please take this into consideration
2) in 1/2005 we had the report about the film project with 12 cameras on Stromboli, this time we have a report about an 8mm project (Perry Rhodan science fiction) and an article about Super 8 Heroes
3) wrong: there are 16mm frame grabs in the article. by the way I personally think that you can see nearly nothing about the quality of a Super8 or 16mm film in printed pictures...
4) your personal position
5) wrong: We have a report about a video monitor inside the Arri camera, a test of Hammann 16mm splicers and a report about a 16mm/35mm film collector

you cannot have anything in one issue - but you will see: there will be a lot about 16mm and active filmmakers in the next issue; for example a list of all available film stock in 16mm. nobody else offers this kind of service. this time we published a list of all ever built Single-8 cameras. Where else can you find this?

Thanks for your comments.
Juergen
http://www.atollmedien.de
the books about all cameras and projectors ever built
Angus

Post by Angus »

I enjoyed the article on 16mm and super 8's past use in aeroplanes.

Small Format and Super 8 Today are somewhat aimed at different people, though I am sure like myself there are those who enjoy both. Small Format is like the old Movie Maker mag of 20+ years ago, aimed at people making films at home, for a hobby...and those who have a general interest in film. I am sure professional filmers would find some articles interesting too, but they'd probably be better served by Super 8 Today.

At least thats how I see it...

What's wrong with some retro articles? Have we no care for the history of the format we are using?
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
avr

Post by avr »

For my taste small format is a great magazine, better images than super8 today with great articles. For me the 16mm articles are great, the logical next step, film is film and is s8,16, 35 etc why only s8?
the second issue of small format are great ... I miss some pics of the new velvia 50D.
great job Juergen
etimh

Post by etimh »

What's really cool is this friendly "competition" that is emerging between the two magazines. Hopefully it will fuel the drive to even better and better content. Both are great efforts.

And Juergen, please don't abandon the historical articles--I'm still waiting for my copy of issue 2 but I'm most excited about this piece on the airplane films. As Angus implies, history is important.

Tim
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

Personally, I have enjoyed (and hope to continue to enjoy) both mags, each one of which, as mentioned above, has something different to offer.

I also second one of the comments above, encouraging members of this forum to write for one or the other or both of them, sharing info on their techniques, projects, etc. I know some of us are already doing so; I look forward to others joining in.

All in all, I feel fortunate that there are currently *two* publications for small gauge filmmakers.
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Guy Bennett wrote:Personally, I have enjoyed (and hope to continue to enjoy) both mags, each one of which, as mentioned above, has something different to offer.

I also second one of the comments above, encouraging members of this forum to write for one or the other or both of them, sharing info on their techniques, projects, etc. I know some of us are already doing so; I look forward to others joining in.

All in all, I feel fortunate that there are currently *two* publications for small gauge filmmakers.
In 2006! And one of them devoted solely to S8...positively heartwarming in the age of ringtones -

[slow loading]

http://wireless.sys-con.com/read/46639.htm

" Today, the worldwide ringtone market is worth more than $2.5 billion, according to an April 2004 Yankee Group study.

That success begs a question: Are ringtones as good as it gets? "