Bolex 150 single frame attachment

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Sparky

Bolex 150 single frame attachment

Post by Sparky »

In the back of the German manual that came with my Bolex 150 is listed a single frame attachment- item 4 in this crappy cell phone pic:

Has anyone seen one of these or know how it works? I can't see how you can get single frame from this camera- does it just turn a normal trigger press into a very short press? That wouldn't really be single frame but I can't see what else it could do?

Mark
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

Yeah, I got one off of e-bay from some Bolex-chick freak. It's not that good -- a little box that attaches to a cable-release type of deal and it never worked that well.
Mitch Perkins

Re: Bolex 150 single frame attachment

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Sparky wrote:In the back of the German manual that came with my Bolex 150 is listed a single frame attachment- item 4 in this crappy cell phone pic:

Has anyone seen one of these or know how it works? I can't see how you can get single frame from this camera- does it just turn a normal trigger press into a very short press? That wouldn't really be single frame but I can't see what else it could do?

Mark
I've got the darn thing in my hand, (thanks Flatwood - DVD's in the mail), and I still can't see how SF is achieved. You can flip up the trigger to reveal a cable socket, but it just depresses the same way the trigger does, AFAICT. Maybe something to do with the thing that slots in below the lens?
For those with this cam having corroded batt contacts, I'm in the midst of installing an external power source, (motor's in the handle), and manual exp control. Let you know how that goes...

Mitch
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

That sounds more like the image number 2 on that page- thats a self timer isn't it? If it is that item 4, how was it supposed to turn a non- single frame camera into a single frame camera?

Mark
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Hey Mitch- cool you got your hands on Flatwoods cam- what do you think of it? How are you planning on doing the manual exposure thing? Did you pull it all apart yet? My meter needle seems to be a bit sticky, but almost working OK after I did a bit of contact/PCB restoration!

Mark
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

Sparky wrote:That sounds more like the image number 2 on that page- thats a self timer isn't it? If it is that item 4, how was it supposed to turn a non- single frame camera into a single frame camera?

Mark
It fits under the camera lens, I think. I'll take a look at mine tonight or sometime this weekend. It worked 50% of the time as I recalled. Just gave up and started using a camera with real 1-frame capabilities!
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

I've got one of those - got it at the BFCC in ealing a while back for about 50p - works fine on my 155 (haven't used it in a while though....)
what what
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I'll buy it off you for 50p ;-)
But just how does it work?!?- or does the 155 have a real single frame trigger?
Mark
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Sparky wrote:Hey Mitch- cool you got your hands on Flatwoods cam- what do you think of it?
It's so cool.
Sparky wrote: How are you planning on doing the manual exposure thing?
Remove metal plate w/zoom markings. Plastic plate underneath has hole already there. Meter has hairlike lever for +/-
I'm going to attach something to it, cut a slot in metal plate and...figure something out. Probably simple friction based action.
Sparky wrote: Did you pull it all apart yet?
Yep. Batt contacts and circuit board were toast. They're in the garbage. Going to hardwire female socket for powerpack to motor in handle. Motor seems to have two speeds, but no way to change them externally...yet.
Sparky wrote: My meter needle seems to be a bit sticky, but almost working OK after I did a bit of contact/PCB restoration!

Mark
My plan is to bypass autoexp and go straight for manual. Those wires are snipped now anyway...

Mitch
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

Sparky wrote:I'll buy it off you for 50p ;-)
But just how does it work?!?- or does the 155 have a real single frame trigger?
Mark
It mounts under the lens - it works basically by whacking the trigger for a sufficiently brief period of time for the film to advance just one frame - sounds crude but it seems to work...
what what
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Taqi wrote: it works basically by whacking the trigger ....
:lol:

We need bumper stickers and T-shirts that read:

"Super 8 shooters don't get old, they just whack the trigger harder."

Whacking the trigger. Gotta remember that phrase. That's hilarious.

Roger