Best place to get Scoopic batteris/charger...lubrication?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jaxshooter

Best place to get Scoopic batteris/charger...lubrication?

Post by jaxshooter »

I picked up a Canon Scoopic for nothing a few weeks back.The station I work for found one of the grey models in a filing cabinet and was using it for bookend.I talked them out of it.Can't beat the price.It has no charger or batts,but looks like it was kept in good shape as it was the sports camera and not a news camera,so it didn't see near the traffic and hard times a news reporter would see.

I'm wondering about what is the best place to get a new charger and batts for it and since it probably hasn't had a piece of film run through it in 30 years or more,what about lubing one of these beasts?Anyone have the skinny on this?
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Chargers = eBay. You don't really need an original though. Anything that puts out approximately 2-500 mAh at 12V will be OK.

Battery casings are tough to come by. My original Scoopic came with one shell with dead batteries inside and another disassembled shell that was broken. I recelled it with cells taken from a Lenmar NiCd pack. B&H should still have them for $4 or so per pack, which has three cells. You need four packs.
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

I use a normal Nimh AA - AAA charger with alligator clips on my recelled Scoopic batteries.

viewtopic.php?t=11278&highlight=gianni+scoopic

Gianni
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

There's a charger on ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CANON-SCOOPIC-16mm-f ... dZViewItem

vidwerk.
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

vidwerk wrote:There's a charger on ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CANON-SCOOPIC-16mm-f ... dZViewItem

vidwerk.
I know,I bid on it.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

Thanks folks,now since this camera hasn't been used in 30 years or more,I would bet it needs some kind of lubrication.Anyone have any knowledge of how this is done and what to use?
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
switar king

Post by switar king »

I made a battery case by using an 8 aa battery holder, and gluing a 2 aa battery holder to the back of it. Then I wired the two packs togetter. I use rechargable 1.2 volt 2500 mah batteries (the original scoopic battery is only 800 mah, i believe). This pack lasts about 4 times as long as the original scoopic battery and it fits perfectly in the scoopic. I just pop the batteries out and charge them in a 30 minute charger. It cost me $50 bucks for everything.
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

switar king wrote:I made a battery case by using an 8 aa battery holder, and gluing a 2 aa battery holder to the back of it. Then I wired the two packs togetter. I use rechargable 1.2 volt 2500 mah batteries (the original scoopic battery is only 800 mah, i believe). This pack lasts about 4 times as long as the original scoopic battery and it fits perfectly in the scoopic. I just pop the batteries out and charge them in a 30 minute charger. It cost me $50 bucks for everything.
Does this fit into the Scoopic's batt compartment or does it work via the external power source jack?I used an external power pack on my Beaulieu when I the grip batt died.I used an old camera case with D cells.I used non rechargeable alkalines that seemed to run forever.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

The 8 AA size will not fit in the grey Scoopic...
switar king

Post by switar king »

I have a Scoopic MS and it fits perfectly. I'm not sure about the grey Scoopic.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I am. The 8AA size is for the M and MS. The grey Scoopic requires the smaller pack that is kind of rounded.
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

How's about eight or ten AAA's instead of AA's?

I was unable to find a matching connector that matched the grey Scoopic's external power plug. I recall Duall of New York offered me one if I purchased their external nimh battery pack for $80 - $100. The Film Group (Sync folks) offer to replace that plug with a "modern" one.

AXCO in Finchley (N. London) offered to service a Scoopic.

Gianni of Grey Scoopics
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I have the connector. There's a specific name for it, but I forget what it is.