The Making of my film - Part 1

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
npcoombs

The Making of my film - Part 1

Post by npcoombs »

As another diversion from actually finishing the film I have now posted the first part of the 'Making Of'.

Self indulgent twaddle? Perhaps, but there are some funny anecdotes which may be of interest to s8 shooters out there. It is nice to actually write down experiences too, before they are all forgotten or boiled down to rose-tinted highlights.

Feel free to comment.

http://democratfilm.angeltowns.net/maki ... arola.html

I know there are lots of typos in there, in time I will correct them.
Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

That was actually a very nice read. I also like to keep a journal of what i've been up to and why i made some choices i made. What was this film the dutch-moroccan filmmaker was working on? I wonder who he is.
We'll knock back a few, and talk about life, and what is right
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Interesting read - I don't know that I could stomach going to Italy again, much less trying to make a film there. A failed state plopped in the middle of the continent... (no offense to any Italians on the forum)
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

Interesting story. I also fear when I'm just walking and my camera in a black leather bag just lookls like an uzi machine gun...

You are one of the few forum members who is more focused on filmmaking and not the technical details of super 8.
(of course the technical side could be interesting as well, so I don't think that somebody is better just because he/she is an artist and not an amateaur filmmaker or camera collector... )
It seems to me that your ideas are more connected to the sixties when marxist theory was more alive, progressive and stronger worldwide - recently I think it is more academic. Postmodern theories, information society etc. bla bla...
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Superbus_ wrote:
It seems to me that your ideas are more connected to the sixties when marxist theory was more alive, progressive and stronger worldwide - recently I think it is more academic. Postmodern theories, information society etc. bla bla...
You are right, the sixties are a touch-point for me in terms of cinema as well as philosophy and politics. Theodor Adorno has been one of the most influential writers on me, although I have engaged with all this 'new' philosophy: Baudrillard, Foucault, Deleuze and Badiou also.

As much as I admire some of the postmodern writers, my heart tells me that the fight against the administered society, powerful elites and inequality is the right path. At the moment the marginalisation of critical theory is the result of a deliberate program of consolidating power by the international wealthy elite.

Just because something is currently politically inept does not make it wrong. The truth will emerge eventually as every other social movement; gay, feminist, ecological etc.; is subsumed in international capitalism and becomes equally implicated in the repressive society.
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

npcoombs wrote: You are right, the sixties are a touch-point for me in terms of cinema as well as philosophy and politics. Theodor Adorno has been one of the most influential writers on me, although I have engaged with all this 'new' philosophy: Baudrillard, Foucault, Deleuze and Badiou also.

As much as I admire some of the postmodern writers, my heart tells me that the fight against the administered society, powerful elites and inequality is the right path. ...
I also like the sixties, especially 68 when marxist ideology was more "fashionable". On the other hand most people had no ideas about Marx or Mao or Marcuse :)
At that time cinema and in general art was more political. For example my favourite writers Julio Cortázar or Robert Merle etc. were involved in progressive political movements as well.
Now, we can not say that there are fewer problems in the world: just think about the third world problems, starvation in Africa, war in Iraq etc. I think documentary films sometimes better to continue this way. And yes, marxist theory or in general conflict ideologies are the best ideological and critical background to focus people's attention on social issues, inequalities, globalism even in the western welfare states.

And the other side. I live in a postcommunist country. I know what was communism (or something like that) , and that is why democracy is the most valuable thing for me.
Communist regimes gave people free education, free medical care system, 100% employment but there were no democracy, right of free speech, elections etc. A lot of good films were banned because of stupid communist burocrats. So, the reality is always different. We have to be cautious: do not forget that most cuban people hate Che :-)
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

That's an interesting story. Thanks for posting it.

So what is the hold up with finishing your Friar flick? The footage looks great.
Let us know if you need any feedback.

Steve
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote: So what is the hold up with finishing your Friar flick? The footage looks great.
The footage is fine, recording the voiceover is painful. All the other voiceovers I have done have come very easy.