Best Super 8 telecine in the world!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Arislan

Best Super 8 telecine in the world!

Post by Arislan »

Where do you think that is? I've seen good Super8 to DV transfers and bad ones, I want your opinion on the absolute best, regardless of cost.
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

As for broadquast quality, I do think price matters a lot if it's done for 50 cents (to VHS and Video-DVD) up to 1 Euro (to miniDV, Data-DVD, or hard disk) per footage including full color, contrast, and density control, and also destination medium, shipping, and taxes.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
BK

Post by BK »

I thought Rushes in London do a great job with telecine, but at a cost.

http://www.rushes.co.uk/

Remember that Ford commercial that was shot on super 8 Kodachrome?

Not just the latest equipment but you want a post house with a very good colourist who knows their stuff, not just some monkey operating the latest telecine machine.

Bill
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

For those of you on a budget I can recommend http://www.bbtec.com in the North of England. It's primarily a "transfer old home movies" type service, but the quality is excellent, and the proprietor Sheldon Barras is very helpful with colour correction or any other bespoke requests you may have.

It's the only service where the colour sharpness of the original is maintained. With other services you get faded colours and increase in grain. I always use BBTEC for reversal transfers and would highly recommend them.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Maybe Bonolabs' HD-direct-to hard drive transfer? I haven't tried it but it's certainly one of the more expensive S8 transfer options available ;)
Arislan

Post by Arislan »

BK wrote: Remember that Ford commercial that was shot on super 8 Kodachrome?
No, how long ago was it? Was it telecined at Rushes?

It seems Megacolor does a superb job right here after all, and they cost R$650 an hour. That comes up to...hang on...about $285 USD. I've just the other night watched a DVD of the movie REDENTOR (2004) and it was processed and telecined at Megacolor. The quality was flawless.

The 16mm telecine is even cheaper, costing R$500 or R$600 an hour, depending if you want offline or online. I'm not sure what they mean by that, but again, those prices in US dollars are $220 and $265.
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

You are going to find more telecine houses that can handle 16mm than Super 8, so the pricing may be more competitive. Interface Media and Henninger here in Washington DC have Spirit telecines (16/35mm) with all the trimmings; if you can afford them, you can get anything you want. If it's good enough for K Street, it's good enough for you.

By the way, where are you? DC or Brazil? We're getting mixed messages... :?
Robert Hughes
Arislan

Post by Arislan »

At the moment I am in Brazil. I'll be back home in DC in a handful of months.
I use DC as a point of reference, in reality I'm a lot closer to Montgomery Mall.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

How much money do you have??

I think that if Kodak would get Sony to make a S8 gate for the Vialta they have at Laser Pacific and then you did a 444 2k to Hard-Drive that would be the best although more than likely overkill for anything shot on S8.

Right now I feel DigiBeta is about as low or high anyone should go for S8.

Good Luck
CToTheH

Post by CToTheH »

Spectra Film and Video is AMAZING!!!
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

I've noticed this is a hard subject. I've been doing a ton of research on film transfers as I have 300 feet for this music video I need transfered. The constant struggle of quality vs. price, but to be honest I wouldn't feel being ripped off for the prices I've seen. Just gotta earn some more money or Do it myself, which I was till it dawned on me why I was having synch problems from using a 18 fps projector to show 24fps shot footage. Whoops.