Clockwork cameras

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

monobath

Clockwork cameras

Post by monobath »

I'm thinking about buying a clockwork camera or two to augment my small but growing arsenal of "modern" electronic cameras. I think I would enjoy filming with them, and I like the idea of being free from dependence on batteries in some situations.

One of the clockwork cameras I'll probably purchase is the Russian Quarz 1x8 Super-2. By all accounts that I've read on this forum and elsewhere, it is a good clockwork camera with a good lens. If there are any other choices in Super 8 clockwork cameras, I'd love to hear about them.

But I'd also like to get a regular 8mm camera, and here is where I really need help. There seem to be many types.

Olexandr Kalynychenko's website here: http://www.geocities.com/russiancamera/index.htm

has:
  • 2x8 Super DS8 cameras like the Quarz 2x8 Super-1M and the Quarz 2x8 Super-3

2x8 D8 cameras like the Quarz 2x8-1M, the Quarz 2x8-3, and several others

8mm cameras like the Ekran-1 and Ekran-3
Besides these, I know that there are Bolex B8 and H8 cameras that are highly regarded, but I'm not sure what kind of 8mm film they use. And then there many other regular 8mm cameras constantly available on Ebay and in thrift shops, etc.

Can someone please explain the difference between the DS8, D8, 8mm formats, and for which ones film is still available? Does anyone have any experience with the non-Super Russian cameras? Also, what regular 8mm camera would you choose from among those that are commonly available, and why (optics, mechanical reliability, interchangeable lenes, etc.)?
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

I think it might depend upon where you are in the world.

In the UK the Russian Double-8 cameras were very popular. The Quarz-8 is built like a tank and the final zoom version can often be found relatively cheaply, although prices are starting to climb.

Bolex are considered the best of the standard-8s, although personally a Bell and Howell with a Taylor, Taylor Hobson lense is just as good.

The non-zoom versions, especially two lense models can still be acquired at reasonable prices. Zoom versions of Bolex cameras seem to be increasing. The Bell and Howell Standard-8s seem to have been more popular in the US and can be found reasonably priced on eBay. It was one of those that film the Kennedy assasination.

In the west reguar-8, standard-8 or double-8 is generally 16mm film with an extra sprocket. Spools are supplied in 10m lengths ( 33 feet ). You film one side, turn then turn the spools around and film the other side. Process the film as 16mm, split it down the middle to make twp bits 8mm wide, stick them together. About 4 feet off both ends of the processed film will have been fogged so this is scrapped and the final film is 50 feet, or 15m long.

I is also available in 100 feet lengths as well. Either for cutting to 33 feet lengths or use in the vry few cameras that could take the longer lengths.

Double Super-8 is 16mm wide film, but with the smaller super-8 sprockets. It was never marketed for the domestic market in the UK at least. But in 1976 at least it was on sale in Eastern Europe. Super-8 in cartridge form had appeared already in the west and was running side by side with regular 8. There were some expensive Bolex conversions, but the only 'mass produced' double super-8 cameras seem to have been versions of those sold in the west set up for regular-8.

As for film. Cinechrome, which was Kodachrome 25 was available until recently. It was not sold directly by Kodak. They sold bulk film to a third party who cut it into lengths and then packaged it. I assume Kodak still processed it thought as it needs special kit. Kodachrome 25 has not been made for years so this was obviously stock from the freezer. What the situation regarding Kodachrome 40, which needs a filter in daylight to make it equivalent to K25 is as far a standard 8 is concerned I do not know.

Ektrachrome and Pan-x, sold as Cine-X are available in Double-8 format as these do not require sophisticated processing gear. They can be processed in a tank at home. Cine-X processed quite nicely to a negative, which make the processing procedure easier if you are happy to reverse electronically after telecineing in the movie.

Forampan is from the Czech republic and is available as Double-8 and Double super-8. It is black and white for reversal processing. It has some backing that means simple negative processing does not work. You get a very dark negative. So it has to be reversal processed. Possibile as a DIY exercise, but required more chemicals that are not so easily available.

Supplies of the film is a bit patchy. In the UK the Widescreen Centre, and Simply Cine seem to be the main sources. There are links from this forum. There are also suppliers in Germany and the USA, and possibly elsewhere.

As a final note, regular-8 was available in cartridges already cut to 8mm width, but with the 16mm sprockets. It originated from Agfa, probably just before WW2 and was around a bit after. I think the Russians copied the system but it was never marketed in the UK.

Kodak did supply double 8 in cartridge form at one time. The cartridge was reversed half way through. I do not know the history of it. It was only when I bought a camera off eBay I found out about the system. Fortunately, also off eBay I acquired a couple of old cartridges.

Hope this helps. Check out this forum, and my web site for more information. It is all out there on the web.
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
monobath

Post by monobath »

Thank you, Wahiba, for the detailed information.

For clockwork cameras, then, the Quarz 1x8 Super 2 sounds like about the only thing going that uses standard Super-8 cartridges. DS8 I'll rule out altogether. Other than the Fomapan DS8 film from Chambless, there don't appear to be a wide selection of emulsions or film sources available for this double super 8 sproketed film.

For regular 8 aka D8, there are a number of different Russian clockwork cameras to choose from, and I'd still like to hear if anyone has any direct experience with them or opinions about them, informed or otherwise. But the Bolex H8 would evidently be a safe bet for a clockwork camera in this format, so that is probably what I'll look for.
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

I have a Quarz super-8 as well. It works fine, although the amount of film left counter is starting to stick.

I believe Bell and Howell made a basic clockwork camera in the early days of super 8. I have seen one for sale on eBay, but never in the metal.

As for the Quarz double-8s. The family one bought in the 60s is in a cabinet in the living room, and as far as I know still works. I run it now and again but have not had a film through it.

I have also acquired a few D8 Bolexes as I can actually afford one.

Personal preference though is the Bell and Howell Sportsers, with a TTH lense.
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
filmbuff

here's the Bell & Howell

Post by filmbuff »