Need advises on Doran/Morse/Arkay G-3 develloping tank

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Basstruc

Need advises on Doran/Morse/Arkay G-3 develloping tank

Post by Basstruc »

Hi,
I'm interested in develloping S8 at home ,but was asking myself about Doran/Morse/Arkay G-3 develloping tank ( 3 brands for almost similar product ) : I know that some of them got a little window in front for reexposure ( in order to process reversal films ) but could only find them on "16 & 35 devellopping tanks" .Is there no S8/16/35 with reexposure window ? Is 16/35 tank capable to do S8 also ? How do you process reveral movies ? Is Doran/Morse/Arkay G-3 develloping tank that better than the lomo tank ?
thanks,

Matt

PS : I finally registered

Remove SP for e-mail (spam prevention)
Super4

Post by Super4 »

I don´t think any of these tanks are made specially for S8 but they still can be used. Actually there is room for putting 4 S8 on top of each other in these tanks, but this will lead to kaos in the tank - just one brings me enough problems!

I have the Morse tank but I would recommend the Lomo tank instead so you don´t have to wind back and fourth all the time. The Lomo gives a cleaner result and is more relaxing when you first have gotten the material onto the spool.

The reexposure window are not always requiered. It is possible to just lift up the top of the tank and wind some rounds in a strong light, but the new fashion of processing is to use chemicals which do this for you. For instance an E6 kit usually has this abillity. The old way is also nice though.

Regards, Sverre
monobath

Post by monobath »

I have two Morse G3 tanks with the re-exposure window that I haven't tried to use yet, mainly because I wasn't sure whether or not they'd be suitable for Super 8 film. Thanks to Sverre, now I know that they will work OK for Super 8.

I'd rather try to figure out a way to process Super 8mm film in my Jobo CPP-2 on a homemade film carrier that I'm in the process of making. If I can get that to work, I won't need to use my Morse G3 tanks or purchase a Lomo reel and tank.

Looking down the road to when I start shooting and developing some regular 8, which is 16mm wide and only 25 feet long before it is slit, I guess the Morse G3 might seem more practical. Unless, once again, I can manage to fashion a film holder that works well in my Jobo.