Mythic Structures and Narrative Film

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

steve hyde wrote: I'm saying the best *stories* - the ones that connect broadly with wide audiences - can be read as "hero's journey". For the purposes of this conversation, let's think of story-cinema as a distinct form.
What about Waiting for Godot?

I personally think the whole heroes journey's stuff is crap and try and chuck it out of my mind as much as possible - in fact I'd be happier if I was never aware of it to begin with because it creates too much formula. I try and think of themes, then characters and situations to explore those themes. I think the heroes journey is a by-product of the human psyche and even if you chuck it out you will probably always come up with some form of it if you are trying to make a story - but if you are more explorative in your approach you can come up with absurdsit brilliance which is totally realistic like Godot - or less structural more slice of life pieces which can be just as compelling but less resolving than the heroes journey/mythic structure pieces.

- I guess what I'm saying is it's more important to concerntrate on the themes and the characters and settings and situations and have that direct your film - and create whatever it's structure will be - than to worry about the structure itself. Worrying about the strucutre first is like putting the cart before the horse and why they keep making the same film over and over again in Hollywood.

That's just my opinion - I know some will disagree.

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Scotness wrote:
steve hyde wrote: I'm saying the best *stories* - the ones that connect broadly with wide audiences - can be read as "hero's journey". For the purposes of this conversation, let's think of story-cinema as a distinct form.
I personally think the whole heroes journey's stuff is crap and try and chuck it out of my mind as much as possible - in fact I'd be happier if I was never aware of it to begin with because it creates too much formula.
Is Tarkovsky's Andrei Roblev a heroes journey? 'Of course not' you may say, but scratch beneath the veneer of the film's form and a man's process of enlightenment (although a specifically Christina rather than classical/Hollywood process) is there in the structure and dramatic arc.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

....I'm reading "Waiting for Godot". I've read Act # 1 with much interest. It is really funny!!!

http://www.samuel-beckett.net/Penelope/Godot_intro.html

Nathan, I don't understand your post. I have seen Tarkovsky's "Andrei Roblev." That story (and film) is classical mythic form.

Steve
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

steve hyde wrote:....I'm reading "Waiting for Godot". I've read Act # 1 with much interest. It is really funny!!!

Steve
That's cool - make sure you tell us what you think when you've finished - particularly in relation to this

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote:....I'm reading "Waiting for Godot". I've read Act # 1 with much interest. It is really funny!!!

http://www.samuel-beckett.net/Penelope/Godot_intro.html

Nathan, I don't understand your post. I have seen Tarkovsky's "Andrei Roblev." That story (and film) is classical mythic form.

Steve
exactly, but many people would not perceive or intuit this because for the viewer this process is oblique and relies on a mutual understanding, between director and viewer, of spiritual torment as a 'journey'.

I just saw Waiting for Godot at the Theatre Royal a few days ago: great play, great performance
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Scotness wrote:

Steve
That's cool - make sure you tell us what you think when you've finished - particularly in relation to this

Scot

I appreciate your skepticism and approach these texts with quite a bit of skepticism myself. I have to take a step back and ask myself the *value* of these texts that all place emphasis on Joseph Campbell’s ideas. Personally, I hold Campbell’s work in high regard so I’m not comfortable writing it off as crap. I think mythic structure is well worth discussing here. Since I first posted this topic, I have learned that screenwriting software companies are building their software on this so-called “heroe’s journey” business, which makes me, and should make everyone, that much more skeptical. However, for the purposes of this conversation, I will maintain the argument that there is a difference between form and formula. An interesting idea is an interesting idea regardless of the story form used to articulate it. I hear critics tear movies apart by basing their critique on the plague of the formulaic script and I’ve come to read that as lazy criticism.

As a starting point, to make sure we are all on the same page, I should probably unpack the word “hero” and offer (a) definition. Hero is simply a Greek word that means “to serve and protect”. A hero is someone who is willing to sacrifice his/her own needs on behalf of others. The Hero archetype is a representation of the ego’s search for identity and wholeness. The hero is on a mission to become a complete human being. The hero is the central character of any story – another word for protagonist. A writer can essentially make a hero (or anti-hero) out of anyone. An anti-hero is a central character that seeks to serve and protect ones own needs and wants rather than others.

As you say, if one wants to, one can pick out the archetypes in most stories and trace a “heroe’s journey”. In “Waiting for Godot” we have two heroe’s (waiting) – they have refused the “call to adventure”, they meet a mentor (Pozzo) who influences the heroe’s to take an inward adventure. The heroe’s question and transform and then tragically find themselves waiting beneath the tree again. Samuel Beckett’s story makes use of biblical mythologies and mythic archetypes. I could try to unpack them here to make this point and perhaps that would be a productive direction to take in this conversation, but instead I think we should put our energy into discussing the many ways that archetypes and mythic structure do their work in the universal language that is cinema. “Waiting for Godot” is an excellent piece of dramatic writing that does not resolve. I have never seen the play performed, but I loved the script and found the story challenging to interpret. (apparently I’m not alone based on what I’ve read about its interpretations)

I’m most compelled to write on what you said about theme and about using characters to develop theme and idea. I agree that mythic structure should come after theme and idea. Theme and idea are the most important elements of any story. Dramatic stories must have action. Good drama is propelled by action, therefore every writer must have a strong sense and comprehensive understanding of what the story *action-idea* is so that it can be developed through character interactions. In Andrei Tarkovsky’s “Sculpting in Time”, he says the most difficult task for a filmmaker is maintaining sharp focus on what he calls “concept”. It is easy to let work sprawl. I use the term “action-idea” for what I think Tarkovsky calls concept.

I tried to unpack this notion of action-idea in the thread titled The Multiple Layers of Story where I argued *lying* was the action-idea that motivated the story and helped make it coherent and meaningful. viewtopic.php?t=10093

Maybe we should begin by discussing theme and idea. How are theme and idea best developed in a story? I think we will all agree that character interaction is the key, but how do we write character interactions in a way that connects? I think we will inevitably return to archetypes and “heroe’s journey” will always be there.

Why are there so many stories of the hero in mythology, novels and films? Joseph Campbell would say – “because that’s what’s worth writing about.” In fact, when I stop to think about your own feature film “In My Image” – I’m reminded that you wrote about a heroes journey yourself……

I do not agree with the notion that we should try to put “heroe’s journey” ideas out of our mind if we can. I totally disagree. We should be embracing it and discussing the ways we can use it to convey our ideas and themes in ways that are authentic, original and culturally relevant.

Thanks for joining the conversation and thanks so much for recommending "Waiting for Godot". It inspired me. I see Nathan has just had the chance to see a production of it.

Cheers,

Steve

Edit: added a transitional phrase in green
Last edited by steve hyde on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve hyde

Re: ...

Post by steve hyde »

Alex_W wrote:Thank you for that reply Steve.
I totally agree with you that if we're talking about stories that a wide audience can relate to, we're most likely going to find similar structures and archetypes. The hero's journey to find truth, become a member of society, punish evil etc. is more or less the underlying structure of the classical Hollywood film, which has ofcourse also influenced the movies the movies talked about earlier, Rocky and Fight Club.
I think the typical structure of the hero's journey story would be of the order-disorder-order kind. What typifies this, and also Hollywood cinema, is narrative closure. In the end, the truth is unfolded, the villains die or go to prison, the hero gets married etc. What i don't think is that this closure has to be a necessary characteristic of every story. So i wouldn't go as far as saying 'Un chien andalou' or other extremely poetic films aren't stories. They do tell a story, but one which communicates, like you said, on a different level. They ask for a more active attidude of the viewer in making sense of them. The fact that most of them make no sense at all, is also a statement which can only be made after some sort of interpretive action.

It is nevertheless very interesting to wonder about where these structures come from. Are they a necessary product of human nature or are they just derived from older stories like the Homer's Odyssey or Sophocles' Oedipus or Beowulf? Or maybe it's something in our nature that makes us adhere to these stories more.
....I love non-narrative art films. I think you have probably guessed this. I'm actually working on one now, but I don't want to.....to paraphrase npcoombs from a different thread, become stranded in an experimental art film ghetto. I want to make films that connect with people -lots of people. I'm willing to make certain sacrifices when it comes to form as long as my ideas and themes stay intact...

On closure: my view is that every film has to close - to have closure, yet that is not to say that every story has to *resolve*. That is something else.

Cheers,

Steve
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Steve, have you seen The Brown Bunny? I recently watched it again, and what Gallo does is interesting; by intentionally attempting to exclude any trace of the "hero's journey" or the mythic structure, the viewer tends to transpose a structure on the very stark and simple progression of the film. This disconnect or split isn't sustained at the very end - I almost think the film would have been stronger if the reason for Bud's behavior was never revealed. Still, the first 65 minutes or so are fascinating for that reason. I read somewhere that he didn't use any of John Frusciante's (excellent) recorded songs for a similar reason - if you've heard the soundtrack independently of the film, they saturate it without even being present. The viewer is free to apply their own performance of the songs organically and freely to the images without the songs actually being used, which would be too literal and confining.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Evan,

I've not seen "Brown Bunny". Sounds interesting. I'll see if I can track it down. My to-view list has grown long since I don't watch films much in the summer....

Steve
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Scot--

Please don't take this to personally. However, if you studied up on three act structure and the mythic journey of a protagonist perhaps "In My Image" wouldn't have been so horrid. I applaud your effort but besides it being almost unwatchable due to being as dark as a witch's ass and jumpy as a Roo on speed the story line sucked. It never seemed to build or twist.

I was left asking "Why do I care?" This guy isn't telling me anything of interest. He isn't faced with any real problems. In fact he is only faced with a really bad actor in the room with him...

The story was never truly present. It never drew me in--Not just for technical reasons as stated.

What is present in Western culture is two Omnipresent things--With ancillary and tangential aspects of them.

A) There are no new stories. Only new tellings.
B) Three act structure or a slight variation there of.

------------------------

That out of the way. People often confuse applying the aspects of Western Myth with remaking a story. Absurdist Cinema or Theater has been around long before Gadot or other 20th century writers/directors. Abstract stories that at first pass may appear Post-Modern are often rooted in the cultural the creator is from. Deran is a good example of what I think of when illustrating with the stress of social morés and norms for a mid-century American female artist. Just as Beowulf illustrates the pressures of an aging man to keep up with his noble past.

Stories are stories and there are no new stories in Western society. Simply different situations in which they are set.

Three acts is good--5 acts isn't new...Arc is good--No arc is bad.

Good Luck
npcoombs

Mythical structure and enlightenment

Post by npcoombs »

Many of you engaged in this discussion on why no new story structures seem possible may find this book very interesting.

It traces enlightenment back to the Odyssey, as a metaphor of mans' progressive dominance over nature - the structuring of individuality through the persona's self realisation of consciousness and life determination.

Because this sets the rhythm of 'progress' and because society is structured around a linear 'time' progression, then this can be the only logically reflected structure in drama; since all drama is the product of societies' consciousness: be that positive or negative.

The tragedy is the inverse of the classical form in that it begins with completed self dominance and harmony of an individual with others and gradually, by stepping beyond the norms of society and loosing rational control, the protagonist sinks deeper into isolation and suffering. The tragedy is a warning not to break from societies range of accepted values.

But both forms reflect the underlying logic of 'progressive' society and 'progressive' individuals.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Nigel wrote:I applaud your effort but besides it being almost unwatchable due to being as dark as a witch's ass and jumpy as a Roo on speed the story line sucked. It never seemed to build or twist.
while it never really twisted it did build in my opinion. in fact i thought it was pretty well written. had it been technically better it would have been quite good i think.

/matt
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I will watch it again in the next few days. It seemed to me to be a bunch of poorly written rehashed schmack about colonial guilt with really bad acting. Maybe if I only read the script I would think differently.

Good Luck
Alex_W

Re: Mythical structure and enlightenment

Post by Alex_W »

npcoombs wrote:since all drama is the product of societies' consciousness: be that positive or negative.
Do you mean that it's a one way street from society to its arts? Because that would be quite a problematic viewpoint. Take for example the German melodrama during the nazi reign. These films weren't just reflections of the nazi society and its inherent structures, but sometimes even held positions that went against the ruling ideology.
We'll knock back a few, and talk about life, and what is right
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Steve very good response back up there (a week ago) - sorry I haven't checked this for a while.

Evan I think you're right - people would impose that structure on things anyway - why? - because we like to follow people/characters and make sense of the world through the individuals journey - because that is how we live our own life. I guess they don't have to be a hero - that just makes them more appealing (because of our own innate goodness and/or want for it)

Nigel That's okay I don't take it personally - if you rewatch In My Image - forget about the colonial aspect if you can - that's more context/secondary themes - the real journey is David's inner journey - in realising that he's a hippocrit and that everything he accuses everyone around him of doing (in regard to religious beliefs) he is actually doing himself.

I'm not against films with an individuals journey - I'm just sick of the hollywood version of this! :lol:
mattias wrote: while it never really twisted it did build in my opinion. in fact i thought it was pretty well written. had it been technically better it would have been quite good i think.

/matt
Thanks Matt - in my dreamland I become a big enough film maker to one day remake it on 35mm in New Guinea.......

I would rewrite it a bit - Jainantu wouldn't speak as much english so there'd have to be an interpreter ... or have David do that somehow - there'd also be more external/crowd scenes etc obviously........ if it ever happened

Anyway what does everyone think about Russian Ark in relation to structure and journey etc?

Scot