Disney getting political

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Carlos 8mm

Post by Carlos 8mm »

Well, after Big Boy Mike wons the Palme d´Or in Cannes, all that Disney-Miramax-crap is over to me.

Now I´m just wanna see a documentary which received a prize in an International Film Festival.

Its not that sufficient ?

Carlos.
calgodot

Post by calgodot »

This entire thing illustrates one point precisely:

If mega-corporations like Disney control distribution, then they will not hesitate to attempt to restrict a film from reaching an audience should the content of the film be "controversial" in nature.

In this case, Disney paid $6 million (or more) for the production of a Michael Moore film. During production they expressed hesitation about the film. After the film was completed Disney decide Miramax would not be allowed to distribute the film, in spite of contractual obligation, claiming the film does not fit into Disney's 'philosophy' (an automatic 'out' for them according to their arrangement with Miramax). This philosophical conflict did not prevent them from retaining control of foreign distribution, however. They simply attempted to restrict the film's domestic distribution.

It was purely a business move on the part of Disney: they simply did not want to be caught up in an election year controversy. Of course it begs the question of why they didn't think of that in the first place when they gave Miramax $6 million to give to Moore to make a film he has said all along was anti-Bush (like that's a secret with Moore) and intended to be released in 2004.

Those who say "it was all just a publicity move" are simpletons (including the morons who post at Ain't It Cool, which is little more than an extension of high school). Not only was Disney the one to make the first move, but the fact that Moore capitalized on the publicity means nothing. It's not like he purposely forced Disney to drop the film so he could rant in public. Disney made the mistake, and Moore capitalized on it. That's called business savvy (on Moore's part: on Disney's part, it's called "stupid" because you grant free publicity to a film you want to limit).

All in all, everybody wins. We win: we get to see the movie. Moore wins: he'll get more money (and more awards). Disney wins: gaining the favor of the President (not to mention the Florida governor & legislature, and the politicos of OC/Anaheim) must certainly be a win. Lions Gate wins: again, for saving yet another indie film from distribution strangulation (and they gain another prestige title for the catalog). The only non-winner in all this is probably Bush and his administration: investigations into the truth never seem to work out in their favor.
"I'm the master of low expectations. I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things."—George W. Bush, June 4, 2003
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

Careful you don't swallow that Michael.
what what
calgodot

I'm Sure You Thought It Was Over

Post by calgodot »

The Battle of the Censors continues.

Lions Gate and IFC Fighting 'R' Rating for "Fahrenheit 9/11"

Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," which is expected to open on between 500 and 1000 screens next week, has been rated 'R' by the Motion Picture Association of America. Yesterday, the film's distributors, Lions Gate Films and IFC Films, issued a statement saying that they are appealing the decision. According to the statement from Lions Gate and IFC, the MPAA issued the rating for the film's "violent and disturbing images and for language."

http://www.indiewire.com/biz/biz_040614fahr.html

----

As an undergraduate I read a book titled "They Thought They Were Free," written by Milton Mayer. It's a book about the common, ordinary citizens of Germany and the rise of Nazism. You can read an excerpt of the book http://www.thirdreich.net/Thought_They_Were_Free.html
"I'm the master of low expectations. I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things."—George W. Bush, June 4, 2003
calgodot

I'm Sure You Thought It Was Over

Post by calgodot »

Lions Gate and IFC Fighting 'R' Rating for "Fahrenheit 9/11"

Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," which is expected to open on between 500 and 1000 screens next week, has been rated 'R' by the Motion Picture Association of America. Yesterday, the film's distributors, Lions Gate Films and IFC Films, issued a statement saying that they are appealing the decision. According to the statement from Lions Gate and IFC, the MPAA issued the rating for the film's "violent and disturbing images and for language."

----

As an undergraduate I read a book titled "They Thought They Were Free," written by Milton Mayer. It's a book about the common, ordinary citizens of Germany and the rise of Nazism. You can read an excerpt of the book online:

They Thought They Were Free

Some day someone is going to write a book about the United States in the early 21st century, and that will be an appropriate title.

We think we are free. And we are, compared to Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, Communist China - places where discussion boards like this did not exist, would not exist, and even if they did a message like this would get me killed.

As it stands, a message like this will only get me on a list of people who write messages like this. It may eventually go into a database and keep me from flying. (I hate flying anyway.) Or, if some vigilant citizen reports me, I may have to talk to an FBI guy. (Been there, done that.)

Or perhaps another citizen will get testy and threaten me, or punch me out like they did the artist in San Francisco, who had the audacity to hang a painting in her gallery window: a painting of an Iraqi citizen being tortured by American soldiers.

Artist inspired by Iraq prison abuse assaulted

It's the little things that eventually add up to take our freedom. We may not think it's a big deal that Disney agreed to release this film everywhere but the United States, tried to hold onto DVD rights (thus making it an unattractive property for would-be distributors), or spread lies about the financing of the film. We may think it's nothing that every "journalist" who covered this story was eager to cover Disney's side (Moore is a publicity hound: true) but ignored the claims of Moore and his agent (Disney fears losing lucrative tax breaks: also true).

We may think it's no big deal that the MPAA, a non-democratic organization likely subject to political influence (their identities are secret, so how do we know?), has now arbitrarily and unilaterally attempted to diminsh the film's audience with a rating that is clearly politically motivated. We may think it's just political shenanigans that Republican members of Congress are threatenting to block the film from being played on Election Day, under the specious claim that it violates campaign laws. (As it should be on DVD by then, this also shows what idiots we elect to Congress.)

But so what, right? Moore still got to make his film. The film still gets seen. What are you complaing about, Godot? You've got your freedom.

Yes. We think we are free. And again, to some extent, we are. There are no agents kicking down my door. The government has not banned film production. No one has locked Moore up for his movie.

Then again, with corporations and secret groups doing all the dirty work - and the citizens still calling it "freedom" - the government doesn't really need to kick down doors, arrest people, or nationalize film production.

We live in an America where it is becoming increasingly possible this, perhaps the most un-American thing imaginable (locking up an artist for his art) could happen.

Currently the federal government is pursuing a case against an artist who uses petri dishes and other biological equipment in his work. This artist is concerned with genetic modification of foods as well as other biological and environmental issues. The FBI knows he's an artist, hs discussed it with him and others, yet is pursuing charges against him under the "PATRIOT" Act, enacted to combat terrorism.

Art becomes the next suspect in America's 9/11 paranoia

Now, I don't like bad art, but I've never felt terrorized by it. The government does not contend that this artist is a danger: simply that his work violates the law. Had I any faith left in our courts, I'd say this one is a no-brainer and will be tossed out. In today's America, I have no clue how this may be adjudicated.

Add to this the fact that New York City, as well as other municipalities, are considering a law that will ban photography on subways, train platforms, and other areas of public transportation. These laws are being pursued in the name of "security." I hate having my picture taken, but I don't consider it a threat to security.

Don't Say Cheese – MTA Mulls Ban On Photography In Subway System

We think we are free, and we are. Being able to question your freedom is the ultimate freedom.

But lately I wonder when they'll come to take that one away.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Welcome to the real world of Democracy.
Welcome to the First Church of Appliantology!
The WHITE ZONE is for loading and unloading only!
It is only a Power Game - everywhere. Big Nations more so.

Now, why do you think our (Norwegian) WWII political records and archives are stamped: "Secret until 2045"?

(To ensure the [snow white] buggers are all very dead before they are opened and fried)

It is all over if you dig deep enough.

May strike harder at your side because there may be a lot more of double morale there only surpassed by France :wink:

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...