as much as i love super 8, what about 16mm?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Actor

Post by Actor »

marc wrote:
Actor wrote: I'd love to shoot a feature in R8 using my wind up Canon Reflex Zoom 8-3 but I doubt I'd have the patience. :twisted:
Would the spring motor last for a feature length film?
I think so. Those old cameras were tough. I calculate you'd have to rewind it about 300 times and I'll bet they're up for over 1000 rewinds. Now whether my arm would last through all those rewinds is another matter. :twisted: I'd need a DP assistant whose job is to rewind the camera. :lol:
Actor

Post by Actor »

Oops. I forgot to multiply by the shooting ratio. Make that 900 rewinds.

Oh, my aching arm.
mattias

Post by mattias »

all of el mariachi was shot with the arri afaik. all photos i've seen show that too. i'm not saying that he couldn't have shot some things with a bolex though, so if you dig out evidence i'll happily stand corrected.

/matt
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

mattias wrote:all of el mariachi was shot with the arri afaik. all photos i've seen show that too. i'm not saying that he couldn't have shot some things with a bolex though, so if you dig out evidence i'll happily stand corrected.
I can't find the article but I'm sure you guys are right about the arri. I mean, why would he say different? However, I know the article said he shot with a bolex, of that I'm positive, but the writer probably figured all 16mm cameras are called "bolex" . The photo I remember was him from behind shooting footage of a guy by a car with a shotgun or something. I probably saw the turret of the camera from behind and read the word "bolex" and put 2+2 together to = 7. Math was never my strong point. :roll:

Roger

EDIT: Hold on! I'm not nuts, after all. Here is a link to one old article that mentioned a bolex:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:QtF ... =clnk&cd=1

Not the article I remember but at least I know I wasn't imagining things.
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

Of course journalists are not known for being accurate in their articles. My company was interviewed for working with a really well known director last year and there were technical terms being used in the article that don't exist anywhere in the world. On top of that, in the interview, we said that this was a big project and it's set apart from most others in that we had a large, very well coordinated and specialized crew with one group of people working on lighting the next set while the other group is shooting on another. The article, however, said it was set apart from the other productions because we shot on 35mm. While yes, that was one part of it, it wasn't nearly half the story.
sk360

Post by sk360 »

I too read "Rebel Without a Crew" and Rodriguez talked about using the Arri throughout the book.In fact, on his Myspace page, here's the famed snapshot of him with the camera:

http://myspace-085.vo.llnwd.net/00527/5 ... 5085_l.gif