16mm test roll

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

I've tested 2 other French brands and they both sucked. At any rate, have you heard somebody comment "yeah, French lenses are the way to go" like they do with German mechanical devices or Japanese cars?
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I have used Ziess zooms that sucked. If I never use the 12-120 again it would be fine with me. The primes have been fine. The MKII primes don't seem to have the look of the Cooke S4s but I have always been partial to the look of Cooke. I have used some great Kinoptik lenses but at this point I don't know if they are being made at full production.

Canon zooms are great. The 8-64 was my go to lens for a few years. The Optar Illumina lenses are really impressive too.

There are some really great lenses and some shitty ones. At the end of the day it has more to do with where you aim it and what you do with it than what name is on it.

Gordon Willis could get some amazing images out of a pile a shit. Where as we would just spend a lot of money trying to buy/rent the lens Gordon Willis said he used without asking if the lens was what got him the shot or if it was his talent as a DP.

Good Luck
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Nigel wrote:The latter comment was directed towards Mitch. And his statement that you could not remember the footage due to the amount of film that comes through your place. I also remebered that you are not always directly involved with xfer and that is why I said "Moviestuff" rather than Roger in the second post.
IOW, just because he doesn't remember it, (for whatever reason), doesn't mean it wasn't there.