as much as i love super 8, what about 16mm?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mattias

Post by mattias »

the arri s takes single perf just fine. it's easily the best basic 16mm camera i've ever used. i didn't know they went for that little now. i'd love to own one. it's very cheap and easy to crystal sync as well because it's built to allow plug and play changing of motors. only drawback is the viewfinder which is non orientable and very dark when you stop down.

/matt
sk360

Post by sk360 »

mattias wrote:
the arri s takes single perf just fine. it's easily the best basic 16mm camera i've ever used. i didn't know they went for that little now. I'd love to own one
One of the best places to find gear is on Craigslist. I've seen about five Arri S's being sold for that price over the last two years and one time saw a package going for $1000! Mind you, it's not as regulated and secure as Ebay and it is better if the seller is living in your city, but you can get some amazingly good deals if your patient and constanly look around ( it also helps if your good at haggling for a new price). I picked up my EBM for $500 on Craigslist. Infact, I almost bought a Hasselblad HD 1 with two lens for $2k not to long ago.
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

I think it's double or single perf. But eh, it's a really loud camera IMHO.
mattias

Post by mattias »

wado1942 wrote:it's a really loud camera IMHO.
extremely so but so are the other ones we've discussed. You're not going to be shooting much sync sound with a bolex or k3 either. You have to ask yourself whether you want a fantastic camera that's loud or a mediocer one that's just noisy. :-) /matt
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

As stated many times, this is the camera Robert Rodrieguz borrowed to make "El Marachi".
reflex

Post by reflex »

BigBeaner wrote:As stated many times, this is the camera Robert Rodrieguz borrowed to make "El Marachi".
And as stated many times, it is the filmmaker - not the equipment - that makes magic. He could quite easily have used one of a dozen cameras to make the same film. ;)
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
mattias

Post by mattias »

Well, very few in that price range take 400' rolls, usually come with good glass, are as reliable, and have variable speed motors, all of which he needed. :-) /matt
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

mattias wrote:Well, very few in that price range take 400' rolls, usually come with good glass, are as reliable, and have variable speed motors, all of which he needed. :-) /matt
Didn't he also shoot parts of the film with a Bolex?

Roger
Actor

Post by Actor »

MovieStuff wrote:
mattias wrote:Well, very few in that price range take 400' rolls, usually come with good glass, are as reliable, and have variable speed motors, all of which he needed. :-) /matt
Didn't he also shoot parts of the film with a Bolex?

Roger
According to Rebel Without a Crew the entire project was shot with the Arri. He shot 25 400' mags and one 100' daylight load of B&W to test the camera.

Peter Jackson shot his first feature, Bad Taste, with a wind up Bolex, no take greater than 30 seconds and most about 20. Compared to Jackson, Rodriguez did it the easy way.

I'd love to shoot a feature in R8 using my wind up Canon Reflex Zoom 8-3 but I doubt I'd have the patience. :twisted:
Last edited by Actor on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Actor wrote:[According to Rebel Without a Crew. The entire project was shot with the Arri. He shot 25 400' mags and one 100' daylight load of B&W to test the camera.
That's interesting because I swear I have an article with a publicity shot of him using a Bolex while shooting footage for El Mariachi. He was next to a car and there was a guy with a shotgun or something, I believe. The article even mentioned that he shot with a wind up Bolex. Hmmmm. I'll see if I can track that down.....
Actor wrote:Peter Jackson shot his first feature, Bad Taste, with a wind up Bolex, no take greater than 30 seconds and most about 20.
Jackson should go back to his wind up Bolex. Then maybe his films would be less bloated and more to the point. Snoooooze......

Roger
reflex

Post by reflex »

My point was simply that offering a Steinway to a passer-by will not result in great music. On the other hand, a decent musician can make somewhat credible music with a toy piano. :)
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Maybe you mistaken the bolex for the arri because of the turret lens, I watched his making of and definitely used only an arri that he borrowed from somebody.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I don't think anyone could mistake an Arriflex for a Bolex, regardless of the turret!
marc

Post by marc »

I read his book and I can definitely tell you that everything was done on that Arri.
marc

Post by marc »

Actor wrote: I'd love to shoot a feature in R8 using my wind up Canon Reflex Zoom 8-3 but I doubt I'd have the patience. :twisted:
Would the spring motor last for a feature length film? I would imagine that as your production progresses, with all of those takes, the motor would start getting fatigued, slow down and possibly break.