Fridge or Freezer?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hello,

For long term storage, I understand that freezer may be the best way to mantain non exposed emultions.

But I beleive that to not refrigerate is also a good option in case of short to medium term storage.
If you can mantain the emultions below 18ºC and idealy below 13ºC under natural circunstances with no or very little temperature and humidity variation, it is a suitable maneer also to proceed.
In this way, I wanted to tell you that I have heard from pro. photographer that consumer fridges are not ideal for photochemicals emultions conservation due to variation in humedity % inside the fridge (not to mention the variation of temperature if someone else forget to close the fridge door...).

Really what I usualy do is to mantain the films like this, with no cold kick step (fridge or freezer), until I can afford one day, a pro. fridge.

I beleive that today color emultions (for example last Fuji and Kodak series) have much better performance in mantaining the original properties of the emultion than before. (neg, slide excepting case of Kodachrome line).
For me the key here, is that the most important is to mantain the films in a suitable range of STABLE temperature/humidity ambiental conditions. (as much as everyone can, of course)

Regards,
Daniel
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

over the winter, i've been storing on the shelf.. but lately there have been hot days and cold nights.. don't have a film fridge, but the ziplocks and foil wraps should keep out any moisture in the regular fridge and freezer.