New Retro 8 sample clip

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

Re: New Retro 8 sample clip

Post by MovieStuff »

Will2 wrote:I think I saw my mother in one of those clips from the 60's.

Then we must be related because I think I saw my mother, too. ;)
Will2 wrote:What a good way to show how to use the machine. I notice your font choices in the software Roger...you have your fingers in everything.
Yeah, it was an interesting journey. The original version of the software was meant as a simple, fat fingered, Scan and Play utility. So the font choices and design was more domestic in nature and less business like. But the large number or people running businesses that wanted more advanced features meant making a lot of under the hood changes to the software while the general appearance stayed the same.
Will2 wrote:I'm also taken by the machined parts and how solid they look, must have been fun to design it yourself from the ground up rather than relying on older projectors. Congrats on a great job.
Thanks. It is very satisfying to build this totally from the ground up. This unit was originally designed as a special build for the Academy of Motion Picture Film Archives in Hollywood. About 3 years ago they asked for 8mm and 16mm units that had no sprockets, no claws, were continuous feed, no image area contact (harder trick that you might think), minimal maintenance, simple threading, HD or SD output and, oh by the way, could it work with an off shelf laptop? Took a while but we finally got it together. When we put it on the website in January, we thought we would only have maybe half a dozen orders because we had not advertised. We've had over 150 orders and they keep coming in like crazy and, as mentioned earlier, mostly businesses. After years of building units one at a time from old projectors, we were caught off guard so there was a bit of a learning curve gearing up for mass production.

MicroSoft's decision to make the dreadful Windows 8 the permanent OS for all OEM computer manufacturers hasn't helped much. After the black eye they got from Vista, we thought Windows 7 might stick around for a long time like XP did. Oh well. We've shipped probably a third of the units to a number of beta testers so we're now passed all that and, at this point, we are working OT to get these units out the door. We hope to be totally caught up in the next three weeks. And, to make things even more crazy, we are working on a Retro-16 and a Retro-9.5 in parallel. We are also working on a special Retro-28 for the USC Hugh Hefner Archive that has some funky 28mm film.

Fun!

Roger
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

That production line is looking awesome Roger. :D Cant wait for ours to arrive! Vid looks great.
Might try and get ours going as a virtual win7 on an Imac.
cheers
M&J
Nate Williams

Post by Nate Williams »

Pfft Windows 8.. Linux compatibility ftw!
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Is the sale still on?
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Yep!