What are you going to do now?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

Actually zlacza it's not about moving pictures, it's about telling the story- whatever story you feel you want to tell.
What system you use to do that is as important as the story itself because the difference between film or video or the various types of film image all have an appearance that is appropriate to certain kinds of visual material.
Video images can be closely matched to film but the two are still visually different and create a different feel to the viewer in the same vain as choosing black & white instead of color, CinemaScope instead of standard widescreen. These things have an ultimate affect on the audiences enterpritation of what you are trying to deliver.
If it was just about moving pictures we needn't have gone beyond hand cranked silent movies (which are fantastic). There's more to the art of motion imaging than just moving pictures.
If we had thought sewing machines were just about sewing we wouldn't have had movies in the first place (all projector and camera mechanisms are based on the movement of a sewing machine for those that don't know).
Zlacza, you should try a different occupation, I suggest Needlepoint!
:lol:
mattias

Post by mattias »

zlacza wrote:I will do miniDV. A movie is about MOVING PICTURES, and the technique behind it is secondary.
why not use a spinning wheel and s stop motion animated ballerina or horse then?

/matt
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

"(all projector and camera mechanisms are based on the movement of a sewing machine for those that don't know)"

Sewing machine? I thought the projector was based on the machine gun mechanism.
FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

Hmm, interesting. But-
sewing needle = regestration pin
pulling claw = intermitant frame advance

Now can anyone tell us which came first- sewing machine or machine gun? I think it's the sewing machine. 8O
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Elias Howe invented the sewing machine in 1846. Winchester invented the repeating rifle in 1860. (Eastman invented roll film in 1880.) John Thompson's sub-machine gun in 1916. Shall I go on? 8)
monobath

Post by monobath »

This doesn't address the question of what mechanism inspired the movement of the projector, but I found it a fascinating read anyway ...

Film History Before 1920

Now I'm curious enough to seek more detailed information about the history of filmmaking, movie cameras, and projectors. Guess I'll be heading over to Amazon now...
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

ccortez wrote:Elias Howe invented the sewing machine in 1846. Winchester invented the repeating rifle in 1860. (Eastman invented roll film in 1880.) John Thompson's sub-machine gun in 1916. Shall I go on? 8)
Hah! I invented and made a cirkular knife grinding machine in 1982 Image

Fred.
Last edited by VideoFred on Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

VideoFred wrote:
ccortez wrote:Elias Howe invented the sewing machine in 1846. Winchester invented the repeating rifle in 1860. (Eastman invented roll film in 1880.) John Thompson's sub-machine gun in 1916. Shall I go on? 8)
Hah! I invented and made a cirkular knife grinding machine in 1982 :mrgreen:

Fred.
Hah! I inveted a flashing LED alarm for my mouse trap 2001, so I won´t have to check the trap itself. I get the alarm immediately if I have anything to dispose of in the trap. :mrgreen:
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:
Hah! I inveted a flashing LED alarm for my mouse trap 2001 :mrgreen:
Hah! I have a cat for this Image

Fred.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

FILM-THURSO wrote:Hmm, interesting. But-
sewing needle = regestration pin
pulling claw = intermitant frame advance
I thought -
firing pin = registration pin
ejector = intermittant frame advance
hot gas pressure = talent
FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

Now ccortez, you have given dates for guns and the like but what was first, the machine gun or the sewing machine (the apprentice or the master, hmm, strong is he with the force), I'm sure it was very early on.
Just did a check and:
1st patent for a complete machine 1790
operational (and fairly reliable) machine working in 1830 :D
So ccortez you may need to go a little further. :P
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
monobath

Post by monobath »

Why S8-booster? You wanna convert one of those gatlin guns into a projector? :P

That top picture says Texas Hill Country Shoot. Must be somewhere down near where ccortez lives... That would be fun to film with a super high speed camera...
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

well, i guess it can be "bored" to 8mm? :wink:

t
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...