Super8 and its Cult of Personality

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
Alex

Post by Alex »

npcoombs wrote:
jean wrote:good question. he answer is obviously yes, s8 has a cult that highly exaggerates it's importance. It's a medium to record moving images, that's all.
Good to see someone else come over to the filmmaking forum. I agree about these petty tech-geek cults.
Yes, I too agree that without those petty tech-geek cults, Final Cut Pro would be a flop, Midi would be a flop, GameBoy would be a flop, Ipods would have flopped, and Super-8 would have already disappeared.

What makes a good editor? First and foremost, a good editor knows all their material, and KNOWS WHERE IT IS. An average editor that knows where all their shots are, can do an equivalent or better job than a fantastic, spasmodic editor who can't find their shots.

The petty tech-geek cults are the foundation from which the creative types are supposed to spring forward.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Alex wrote:
The petty tech-geek cults are the foundation from which the creative types are supposed to spring forward.
No they are not. Artists make use of what materials are available and what help they can find. Techies know their tools inside out. Petty tech cultists harp on about irrelevant or obscure marginal technologies, advocating them against all reason with the fervor of blind faith. From your lunatic advocacy of K40 I take it you fall into the latter group. But this is not the place to argue this. Save that for another worthless thread in the small gauge film forum.
mattias

Post by mattias »

npcoombs wrote:From your lunatic advocacy of K40 I take it you fall into the latter group.
what's with your desire to categorize and analyze others? people are generally far more faceted than you'll likely to discover through watching a few movie trailers and reading a few posts on a web board. and even if they weren't i don't think it's very respectful.

/matt
Alex

Post by Alex »

npcoombs wrote:
Alex wrote:
No they are not. Artists make use of what materials are available and what help they can find.
Sounds like you saying the same thing.
npcoombs wrote: Techies know their tools inside out.
Techies shouldn't be so easily categorized. Some techies are spawned out of their frustration at not having a certain kind of creative tool at their disposal. Other Techies don't like to deal with people so they do software, get paid, and are left alone by the masses. Creative people LEARN to be technical so they can communicate better. If anything, the level of techiness can be a pulsating threshold based on the job at hand.
npcoombs wrote: Petty tech cultists harp on about irrelevant or obscure marginal technologies, advocating them against all reason with the fervor of blind faith. From your lunatic advocacy of K40 I take it you fall into the latter group. But this is not the place to argue this. Save that for another worthless thread in the small gauge film forum.
This idea of potshotting and then demanding the other person not reply gets tiresome, don't you think?

Kodachrome 40 is the only "format jumping" Color Super-8 filmstock in existence. In other words, If I desire, I can shoot Kodachrome 40 in such a way as to make it look like a non-home-movie format. The kind of "look" where if someone saw the image they would assume it was shot on film, on much better quality than an old home movie format, but on what film format, they couldn't say for sure.

That is a very important Super-8 filmic tool to have at one's disposal for possible distribution deals. Did you stop and think that your lack of understanding at what the real issue is for me and Kodachrome 40 makes you dismissive and judgemental towards other people's passion? Rather than look at my artistic requirements as my passion for my creativity, you call it lunatic advocacy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I once made time-exposure images with my super-8 camera that judges in one film festival thought were done with a computer and my entry was disqualified as a result. In another Film Festival many years ago, one judge called my student entry, "too good to be done by students", and gave me a 98 out of a 100. It was both too good to have been done by a student yet it did not deserve a 100 out of a 100, and rather than winning the category my film was in, I received an honorable mention.

My passion is driven by the cameras I use in conjunction with the filmstocks necessary to get the look I want. What you call lunatic advocacy are the pallettes I use to create.

Die, Lunatic Advocacy lablers, Die.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

mattias wrote:
npcoombs wrote:From your lunatic advocacy of K40 I take it you fall into the latter group.
what's with your desire to categorize and analyze others? people are generally far more faceted than you'll likely to discover through watching a few movie trailers and reading a few posts on a web board. and even if they weren't i don't think it's very respectful.

/matt
yes of course mr. congeniality

Maybe you disliked the fact that I actually looked at the content of your film rather than simply gawked at its technical aspects. And you yourself admit that most of what I gathered was correct.

This is part of being interested (and critical) of films. If you want to become a major director, get used to it - your explanations for the teenage sexual content were pretty weak, even if I don't think you have any misplaced intentions.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Alex wrote:
I once made time-exposure images with my super-8 camera that judges in one film festival thought were done with a computer and my entry was disqualified as a result. In another Film Festival many years ago, one judge called my student entry, "too good to be done by students", and gave me a 98 out of a 100. It was both too good to have been done by a student yet it did not deserve a 100 out of a 100, and rather than winning the category my film was in, I received an honorable mention.

My passion is driven by the cameras I use in conjunction with the filmstocks necessary to get the look I want. What you call lunatic advocacy are the pallettes I use to create.

look i'm sure K40 is great. You surely know much more than I do about it. But its going, and no wishful thinking is going to revive it from being an obscure has-been format. It is lunacy to keep going on about it, when there's nothing anyone can do to rectify the situation. According to others on this board the replacement will probably be equally as good.
mattias

Post by mattias »

npcoombs wrote:Maybe you disliked the fact that I actually looked at the content of your film rather than simply gawked at its technical aspects.
wow, what a giant leap to conclusions. i'm flattered that you looked at the content. the story and especially the aspects that are personal to me are obviously more important than anything.

no, my point was not about your opinions but the "you seem to be this and that kind of person" comments. i don't see the purpose. most of the time when you say such a thing you'll just offend the one you're talking to. i instantly feel how i become defensive and that's hardly very productive, is it?
This is part of being interested (and critical) of films. If you want to become a major director, get used to it
well, if you want to discuss films with major directors, get used to them not always agreeing with you. :-)

/matt
jean

Post by jean »

npcoombs wrote:Maybe you disliked the fact that I actually looked at the content of your film rather than simply gawked at its technical aspects. And you yourself admit that most of what I gathered was correct.
Are there any other films around that I'm unaware of?
have fun!
Alex

Post by Alex »

npcoombs wrote:
Alex wrote:

look i'm sure K40 is great. You surely know much more than I do about it. But its going, and no wishful thinking is going to revive it from being an obscure has-been format. It is lunacy to keep going on about it, when there's nothing anyone can do to rectify the situation. According to others on this board the replacement will probably be equally as good.
You don't know that anything isn't being done, if you paid attention to the forum you would see that I'm not the only wanting to see Kodachrome stay.

One petition has over 2,000 signatures, an important meeting is scheduled with Kodak in France, another petition has promises of over 10,000 purchases of Kodachrome filmstock just from internet users alone, which is probably just a fraction of the total filmmaking group. Refrema may be able to make an affordable Super-8 Kodachrome processor.

What I find suspect about your position is you seem to expect creative, passionate types to respond like sheep when their creative tools are taken away from them, when they baaaa, you scorn them and label them petty.
Last edited by Alex on Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattias

Post by mattias »

here's proof that the more you talk about how silly the k40 advocates are the more they won't disappear. :-)

/matt
Alex

Post by Alex »

baaaaaaaaaahhh.
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Alex wrote:One petition has over 2,000 signatures, an important meeting is scheduled with Kodak in France, another petition has promises of over 10,000 purchases of Kodachrome filmstock just from internet users alone, which is probably just a fraction of the total filmmaking group. Refrema may be able to make an affordable Super-8 Kodachrome processor.
You forgot that's the promised annual amount, not just *some* amount.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Nigel

Re: Super8 and its Cult of Personality

Post by Nigel »

Bump.

Good Luck
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

Don't know why you bumped this but it was worth it for "if Super8 was [...] Hitler...", best notion i've seen posted on a super 8 forum.
Tim Drage
films - http:///www.spiteyourface.com
noise - http://www.cementimental.com

"It's cheaper to shoot someone with a gun than a film camera." - amishman35
marc

Post by marc »

Any endeavor has a cult of personality. This is not unique to Super8. This is huamn nature and the human condition. You find this a lot in sports, in high school cliques, fashionistas, geeks with their technology. Are you aksing if there is a certain pretension that goes around in the Super8 community? Again, you find this in all endeavors and social groups. Look at the hippies which were just recycled beatniks. There is nothing new under the sun. People find comfort in groups with others that share their common interests and adapt a "herd personality" as a means of belonging and, at it's more primal source, surviival.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!