unusual request - expired/useless S8 cartridge?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Evan Kubota

unusual request - expired/useless S8 cartridge?

Post by Evan Kubota »

Does anyone have an expired or otherwise useless Super 8 cartridge that they'd be willing to sell or give me? It's for a scene in a project I'm working on where the character removes the film from the camera and buries it. I obviously don't want to do this with any fresh stock, and you don't get the carts back after processing, obviously. Please e-mail me or send me a message if you can help. It doesn't matter whether it's K40, B&W, etc - just as long as it is Super 8.

Thanks,
Evan Kubota
Dusty

Re: unusual request - expired/useless S8 cartridge?

Post by Dusty »

Evan Kubota wrote:I obviously don't want to do this with any fresh stock, and you don't get the carts back after processing, obviously.
I don't know where you get your film processed, but you can get back the empty cartridge if you ask for it from Dwayne's. Just write that you want it back in the special instructions box on the order form. For B&W labs, I'm sure a good number of them would return it if you request, but I don't have any experience with that.
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

you could just have them wrap it up well prior to burial...

I remember reading that Lee Perry used to bury his master tapes in the garden, always liked the idea of that...
Tim Drage
films - http:///www.spiteyourface.com
noise - http://www.cementimental.com

"It's cheaper to shoot someone with a gun than a film camera." - amishman35
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

"but you can get back the empty cartridge if you ask for it from Dwayne's. Just write that you want it back in the special instructions box on the order form."

Even through Wal-Mart? I'll give it a try next time I send one out.

Wrapping it up isn't viable since there is nothing to wrap it with at that point in the film. It'll make sense in the actual project...
reedsturtevant

Re: unusual request - expired/useless S8 cartridge?

Post by reedsturtevant »

Evan, I'll send you one. I'm surprised how many used cameras arrive with a roll in them :)

I also have maybe 8 unopened rolls of K40 from 1975 to 1990 and 1 Ektachrome 160 and 1 Ektachrome G, if anyone wants one let me know. The only roll I shot came out pink w. no image but I've kept them in the freezer anyway.

You could strip the emulsion off and do animation with a felt tip pen, or whatever :D

Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Reed, I'd appreciate that. I think you already have my address. The Canon 318 I recently bought came with a roll of K40 in it... but it's going back to the seller. I wouldn't want to keep the half-used roll.