Problem with Nizo camera(Focus?)

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

vidwerk

Problem with Nizo camera(Focus?)

Post by vidwerk »

I recently bought a Nizo S80 from ebay. When I first looked through the viewfinder, everthing was blurry(except the meter and crosshair focus ring). Then I noticed the fade/varible shutter slide was jammed, this eventually came lose when I heard something rattling inside. I opened the film compartment and a little two-sided mirror(1cmx1.4cm) fell out. Does anyone know what the mirror does, Is my camera screwed. Please Help!

Thanks, Simon. :idea:
Old Uncle Barry

Post by Old Uncle Barry »

:(
The piece of glassware seems to me to be the focussing prism which splits off light to the viewfinder and film plane.
Now if this is the case then you have problems.You will need an experienced camera engineer to put this back as it means a complete strip down of the optics.
To find out more contavt Mr.Guy Parker at gjp@clara.co.uk or his website at merzbahn.com. This is exclusiveley a NIZO site.He may be able to assist you in your plight.Good Luck!
mIke

Post by mIke »

Could be the mirror for the viewfinder. If so you might "refix" it with glue at it's holder in front of the viewfinder tube. I once succeded in this way with a Nizo 156m. Good luck! mIke
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

I might just go ahead and very carefully remove the cover of the camera to see if I can fix/replace it myself. I wouldn't be worth it to pay for shipping to and from, not to mention the labour cost to the mechanic. I'd be better off just buying another one off of ebay.

Thanks for your help. Simon :?:
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

It was tricky, but last night I very carefully removed the cover plates and unscrewed the housing of the camera and reattached the mirror to the place in the camera were it belongs and the viewfinder is back to normal. Since these cameras are so complicated internally, I accidentally did something the the exposure control while fixing the first problem. It looks like I'll be fixing it again.

Simon. :idea: