Found film - Kodachrome KA-II

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

olycat

Found film - Kodachrome KA-II

Post by olycat »

I just found an unprocessed cartridge of Kodachrome KA-II super 8 film in a camera bag that I bought at a garage sale a couple of years ago. I apologize if this has been covered before, but, I'm not sure if this film can be processed. I ran across something on the web that said it's too old and would be too expensive.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
irene :?:
monobath

Post by monobath »

Check out the section toward the bottom of the page here that talks about Old Kodachrome II Films (KA 464, KA 459, KII, and similar) that required the old Process K-12:

http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/ServicesPage10.html

My understanding is that the K-12 process is no longer possible, and Kodachrome II film can now only be processed to B&W negative. At about $30 per roll for processing, it's a bit expensive, and you won't be able to project negative film.

Very old film, exposed or not, will probably be fogged unless it was frozen. I've occasionally heard of exposed but unprocessed B&W film retaining some useful latent image even after several decades, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for color film.
olycat

Thanks

Post by olycat »

I will check out that link. Yeah, the film seems pretty beat up and since I have no idea what is on it, it is probably not worth pursuing. Thanks for the info.

irene