Music video shot with super 8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jukkasil

Post by jukkasil »

Nick wrote: Jukkasil - I really liked your music. Since you are a film guy, perhaps you will put out a DVD music video album soon? I'm ready to see more. Oh and if you ever do put out a DVD let us know.

Cheers,
Nick
Yes, we are making DVD album of these videos, still two of them are unfinnished.

I'll inform you when that project will be ready!
Best Regards

Jukka Sillanpaa
Astro

Super-8 music video

Post by Astro »

One of the Blazin' Squad's singles was about 70% Super-8 Ektachrome 7240 shot on a Eumig Mini 3
Looked good...shame about everything else.

U2's got more Super-8 in their stuff in the pipe line...mainly neg stock.

Astro :wink:
nasq

Post by nasq »

I know this a century old topic, but just wanted to let you know the video played on Oulu music video festivals some time ago :)
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

Really enjoyed it, lighting excellent, and any underexposure I assumed was artistic. I think that the timelapse shots were very appropiate for the music.

My only criticism is the edit - it could have moved a little more quickly in some places - more cuts, more timelapse - but this is just personal.

Out of interest - there were dolly shots I noticed following the girl on the beach and also the guy running through the trees - I assume the trees shot was from a car, but how did you achieve the dolly shot on the beach?

Excellent.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
reflex

Post by reflex »

I really liked the driving/forest run sequence -- really nice stuff. The timelapse was great, too. I really appreciate blondes in bikinis, but those shots dragged a bit.
Justin Lovell

color

Post by Justin Lovell »

the color tones that drove the film.. was that a result of using the K40 stock with your pola filter, or did you do some color correction in discreet?

i know that the color correction tools in the discreet software are very good, but was just curious how much manipulation you did to give it that cross-processed/bleached look.

jusetan
nasq

Post by nasq »

I didn't color correct too much, the "dull and almost colorless" look was mainly because of constant overcast weather, and even sometimes it rained.

The dolly shot on the beach was achieved...well, with a dolly ;)

It's really painful to watch years old work, you know when you are constantly improving. Everything you've done looks like complete s*it even after a month.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

nice work.

the beach scene looked almost like it was shot with a steadicam.. i was looking for the dolly tracks in the sand but didnt see any! ;)
nasq

Post by nasq »

That's because we cut early enough to another shot ;)
PITIRRE

Post by PITIRRE »

Well the film look pretty amauteur like a home movie, it doesn't impress me at all, but maybe that the way you want it to that they way you want it to look.
"WE HAVE TO DECIDE WHAT WE WANT TO BE YANKEES OR PUERTO RICAN"

PEDRO ALBIZU CAMPOS
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Well done! This is a very cinematic music video -- and a great example of how the "home movie" look can be overcome when using the S8 format...

I look forward to seeing your "film group homepage"....

Cheers,

Steve
nasq

Post by nasq »

Pitirre, can you be more specific? I know it looks like a home movie in terms of look of K40 and non-existant lighting, but otherwise? I can't say I'm satisfied with it, but the look is quite close what I had in mind. "Dirty seventies", or something like that.

I don't think we are going to make a homepage, because we haven't done anything since this clip together. I'm studying cinematography, and the others are smart enough to get a paying career ;)