canon 1014xls jamming! help!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

canon 1014xls jamming! help!

Post by Guest »

hey!

My 1014xls is not advancing the frames anymore and makes a strange grrr noise instead..

The problem arose after shooting a bunch of timelapse shots.

tried changing the batteries and removing the cartridge, but it still has the same problem. Any idea how to fix this?! (I saw a post a while back about fixing this, but i can't find it again!!)

thanks!

Justin
Justin Lovell

also..

Post by Justin Lovell »

forgot to mention...

when you pull the trigger, the END logo stays on screen..

..it seems as though the camera thinks that it is at the END of a film cartridge, even if no cartridge is inserted..

any advice?!!?!?!?!

thanks!!

jusetan
super8man

Post by super8man »

None sorry...but I have had much success agressively bashing the side of cameras to get them to work - I kid you not. Do so at your own risk. Typically I do this hold the camera over a dumpster...if they fail to start, in they go. Otherwise, a slight purr will save them from the gallows.

Good luck.

Seriously, I am thinking that if you can somehow unjam something, the camera will no longer show the END light and therefore decide to act normally again. How you accomplish this is the trick.
greenplastic79

Post by greenplastic79 »

Is the footage counter reseting? Some cameras just have a very small wire in the cartridge bay that gets pressed down when a new cartridge is inserted. The wire can easily be bent or misaligned.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

The END warning is also activated of the cam motor draws too much current which also occours when/if the cam jams mechanically for some reason.

• Lack of lubrication is one possible reason.
• Does the advance claw move while you run the camera? (no cart)
• Did the problem happen while shooting or:
• After inserting a new cart?

Super8man´s advice is probably the best you can do at this time.

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Justin Lovell

egad..

Post by Justin Lovell »

thanks for all the responses!

I have tried new batteries.
...tried bashing the camera.
... tried removing the gate and checking for clogs

The advance claw does not move when running the cam without cart.
Problem happens with and without a cart.
The footage counter has been reset.

I _think_ it may be a lubrication issue.

I think this because... The piece that notches into the film to spin the film inside the cartridge feels stiff. If I manually spin that piece when firing the camera, the claw and shutter act normally. When I don't spin the piece, the peice stays stationary, the claw doesn't move, the shutter doesn't move and the camera grrrrs at me.

Is there anyone with the technical know how to help me out with what type of lubrication to use and where to put it on the 1014xls?

much obliged!

jusetan
scottbobo2

Post by scottbobo2 »

I had the same problem with my Canon 814,the dreaded Grrrrrr sound happened while I was on a shoot. Turned out to be a lubrication issue but I got the job done here in New York for about $100 bucks.It was well worth it sending it to a shop because when I got the camera back It was quieter than it had ever been and ran like new. I would get it done professionally By the way,Canon opticals are incredible on my 814 and the 1014
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

hey thanks!

I've gotta try to find a place in Toronto that can do the lubing for me.
Anyone know of any shops in Toronto?

And I agree with you, the optics on the 1014 are great!... My Nizo S800 doesn't deliver nearly as beautiful of an image.

jusetan
scott

Re: 1014

Post by scott »

When I run into problems like this, I usually try to fix them myself. If you are very meticulous and careful in taking things apart, it is usually no problem getting them back together. Keep in mind, I have no experience with your specific camera.

My logic has always been this: I now have a non-functioning camera. If I fail to fix the problem, the result is the same - a non-functioning camera.

Now, if the camera is worth it to you, and a replacement would be more than the cost of professional repair, go that route.

Good luck,

Scott
Independent Filmmaker
http://www.lytewave.com/
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

i totally agree with you and enjoy taking apart my cameras to understand their functions... however.. the 1014 is pretty difficult to get apart... There is a lot more electronic parts to it than any other camera that I have serviced before.

Also, I don't really know what type of lubrication to buy, where to get it... or where it should be put on the 1014 so as to not damage any of the internal electronics!

any advice on that?

jusetan

ps.. the camera i have also does not function at 18fps, it is switchable from 9, 18, 24 and 36, however when switched to 18 it just jumps into 24fps mode. (no huge loss, i shoot 24 most times anyways, but would be nice to have everything running perfectly...in case I need to spare some film... could have used that 2 nights ago....)
ccortez

Re: egad..

Post by ccortez »

jusetan wrote:I have tried new batteries.
...tried bashing the camera.
... tried removing the gate and checking for clogs
thought you wrote...

"... tried removing the gate and checking for dogs."

OK cortez, put down the wine and put on your glasses.

:lol:
scottbobo2

Post by scottbobo2 »

Send it out,The advantage is you get the whole thing fixed not just a lube job.I wouldnt open it i,f you make a mistake could be more costly. Everytime I take footage from the canon 814 or 1014,I usually get a collective comment on how well canon made those lens and the sharp images that come back from the lab. Send it out
LastQuark

Re: 1014

Post by LastQuark »

jusetan wrote:I've gotta try to find a place in Toronto that can do the lubing for me. Anyone know of any shops in Toronto?
Try Kominek Camera in Toronto. I heard they are doing a great job there.

Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

komenik camera?

you heard they were doing a great job on repairs or on what? nice to have a recommendation on a reputable company, but what is it that makes them reputable might i ask?

thanks for the response,

jusetan.
Alex

Post by Alex »

DO NOT BASH THE CAMERA!

sheesh.

If you want to try "tapping" the camera with your hand, that is probably acceptable, but not bashing it like a gavel on the side of dumpster. (Was Super-8 man treated this way upon birth, it might explain the suggestion. 8O)