Canon 1014XLS Functionality?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

JCook

Canon 1014XLS Functionality?

Post by JCook »

Hi all,

I recently acquired a 1014XLS, nice camera, my first venture into Super 8 photography.

After shooting the first K40 roll I have a couple of questions that I'd like some insight into they are as follows:

1) The "END" code appeared in the viewfinder before the film counter reached 2/3 exhausted. I removed the film cartridge and the "Exposed tab was visible, I'm asuming that the film has been completely exposed even though the counter appeared to have 20 feet remaining. Is this normal, could the counter be slipping due to lack of use etc?

2) The film speed knob doesn't appear to be funcitoning properly. When no film is inserted into the camera I can set the speed control to 9fps and press the shutter release control, O bserving the speed and sound of the camera's take up hub I then set the speed control to 24fps and press ths shutter release control. The speed of the take up hub and the sound emited by the camera appear identical. The only time I hear/see a difference is when I engage/press the slow motion button. SM appears to function normally. Should I bel able to notice a difference between 9, 18 and 24fps without a cartridge loaded? Could a problem in this area be a clue to the item 1 above?

Everything else appears to work as I would expect. Is there anything serviceable in this area an aging tech/handy man and a screw driver might look for?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Regards, John
BK

Post by BK »

The film speed knob doesn't appear to be funcitoning properly. When no film is inserted into the camera I can set the speed control to 9fps and press the shutter release control, O bserving the speed and sound of the camera's take up hub I then set the speed control to 24fps and press ths shutter release control. The speed of the take up hub and the sound emited by the camera appear identical.
The contacts for the 9/18/24fps switch could be faulty due to lack of use, so you wouldn't be able to obtain the other frame rates. Try turning the switch a few more times to see if the switch will work after some friction, but don't force the switch. A professional service is advisable if it still doesn't work , not a DIY job unless you know what you are doing. Not sure about the counter problem though so couldn't help you on that one.

Bill
Last edited by BK on Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Everytime you remove the film from the camera the counter will go back to zero. Do you remember perhaps taking out the film cartridge when it was around 20 feet and then putting the cartridge back into the camera?
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Re: Canon 1014XLS Functionality?

Post by S8 Booster »

JCook wrote:Hi all,

I recently acquired a 1014XLS, nice camera, my first venture into Super 8 photography.

1) The "END" code appeared in the viewfinder before the film counter reached 2/3 exhausted. I removed the film cartridge and the "Exposed tab was visible, I'm asuming that the film has been completely exposed even though the counter appeared to have 20 feet remaining. Is this normal, could the counter be slipping due to lack of use etc?
Thanks for any replies in advance.

Regards, John
The END warning may appear in several situations but here are some:
1) Low battery power
2) (sometimes) cartridge slack at the beginning of filming or if the cart has been out/in misway without taking up the slack.
3) Cartridge stuck.

I´d put my money on battery (1)

The speed problems is probably some slight "corrosion" (really not) - a tiny layer on the contacts which may possibly be worn off by actvating the dial severeal times over a period.

The worst thing for these and most likely many other cameras is little or no use for a long periode (ie storage over years). If they are used a lot they seem to keep all functions fine but at some point they will need lubriation.

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
JCook

Post by JCook »

Thanks for the replies.

Alex, no, I didn't remove the film until after trying to identify what had gone wrong. The batteries are fresh and the film appears to have been completely exposed.

If I could figure out where the screws are on this thing I'd open it up and clean the contacts with some freon head cleaner.

Sounds like a trip to the shop for cleaning and lube is the way to go.

Regards, John
BK

Post by BK »

JCook wrote:
If I could figure out where the screws are on this thing I'd open it up and clean the contacts with some freon head cleaner.

Sounds like a trip to the shop for cleaning and lube is the way to go.

Regards, John
I have opened up a 814XL-S, it's not hard to figure out where all the screws are to open it up, but putting it all back together is another story!

Let someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.

Bill
JCook

Post by JCook »

Another question.

After digging further into the camera I noticed the FILM GATE has a hairline crack in the film guides. I sparingly epoxied the crack however I doubt it will hold up long. Where can one find a replacement FILM GATE for a Canon 1014XLS?

Regards, John
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

Hi, sorry to here about your 1014xls troubles, i have always been lucky with 1014s and unlucky with beaulieus. I may be corrected here, but changing the gate, may cause soft images. If the new gate is not to the absolute exact dimensions to the existing gate, it may effect the lens to film plane distance, resulting in soft images, more noticable at wide aperatures and the wide end of the zoom range (6.5MM). See how your first roll comes out. Forget opening up the 1014, either have it repaired professionally or look for another one.
The End warning should appear with two feet of film remaining in the cartridge.
JCook

Post by JCook »

A couple of hours later and I've found the culprit. The speed selector switch has little contact wiper arms that float over the switch traces embedded on the printed wiring board. Several of these wiper arms have lost their downward force, they're not making good contact with the traces below. I've cleaned the switch thoroughly but will have to desolder most of the wires on the board in order to remove it. The board has to be removed to gain access to the bottom side of the center pivot pin which holds the switch layers together.

This should be fun, sounds like an evening project for this weekend.

Does anyone know if and where an original Canon Film Gate can be found?

Regards, John
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Be careful when running the camera at faster speeds than 24fps with no film inside. It is actually possible to do damage to the intermittent film transport, according to some sources.
JCook

Post by JCook »

OK, I have the switch wiper arms temporarily braced back into their original position. That took some doing, now does anyone know what kind of adhesive/glue to use when attaching copper plated metal to smooth plastic? The copper switch wipe arm parts are very small, I need something that will easily flow into and around a small area like loctite but with better permanency/matched for the materials involved.

The original glue, quantity wise was just a pin drop with a pinkish tint to it, finally gave up the ghost.

Regards, John
JCook

Post by JCook »

Success, time to go shoot some K40!
Justin Lovell

1014xls cleaning

Post by Justin Lovell »

hey john,

i have a similar problem with my 1014xls, it runs at 9 and 24 and 36 fps, but won't run at 1 fps.

i tried to get the camera apart, but have had problems removing the full plate on the side, it seems to be attached around the bottom of the camera and i didn't want to pry at it to open in case i snap the casing.

do you have any advice on how to get it opened up so i can try doing the same repair that you have done?

thanks!
justin