Fuji cameras & film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Winston

Fuji cameras & film

Post by Winston »

I want to expirement with the Fuji's Super 8mm stock.

Do they only offer two films - the ASA 25 and 200 or do they offer more than those two?

Is Fujica(sp) the only movie cameras that can use the Fuji's single-8 cartridges?
Konton

Post by Konton »

Yes, it only comes in 24 and 200 ASA. But the thing is the carts are easy to reload, so some people load the carts and sell them with other stock. I think there is a Japanese website that sells B&W.

Fujica Single-8 cameras are the only cameras that use single-8 carts.

I'm selling some equipment:

http://www.8mm.filmshooting.com/scripts ... cae27c8856
Justin Miller
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Konton wrote: Fujica Single-8 cameras are the only cameras that use single-8 carts.
Canon made a single-8 model. I believe it is the Canon 518 SV.
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

Lunar07 wrote:
Konton wrote: Fujica Single-8 cameras are the only cameras that use single-8 carts.
There were actually two Canon cameras, the 518 and the 518 SV. I have both. The 518 SV is the better of the two. The nice thing about the 518 Single-8s are that they can use the Canon C-8 wide angle lens, but with the Fujica Camera, only the ZC1000 has a wide angle lens.

Yashica and Elmo also made cameras, but if you are looking for a camera, I would stick with the Fujica ZC1000, Z800, Z700 or Canon 518 SV. If you need XL, you'll want the ZM800, but be warned: it only operates at 18 fps. These is a hole in the Single-8 line: there is no 24 or 36 fps in an XL camera.

Two unique cameras are the P2 and AX100, which are f/1.2 and f/1.1 and 220 and 230 degree shutter angles respectively and extremely compact. I always carry one of these at night with some RT200N. Regular people are amazed there is such a compact movie camera and Super 8 folks are amazed at what you can get in such low light. I don't think there is another reversal option that can give you as much in low light (f1.1, 230 degrees, 200ASA).
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

kentbulza wrote: ................
Two unique cameras are the P2 and AX100, which are f/1.2 and f/1.1 and 220 and 230 degree shutter angles respectively and extremely compact.............
I am thinking about getting a Fujica Z1 for a starter Single-8 camera. But now you turned my attention to the P2. What speeds are supported on the P2? 18fps only? Does it need batteries for the auto exposure? What kind of batteries? Can you switch it to manual exposure mode? Also, can you set the ASA on it?
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

Lunar07 wrote: I am thinking about getting a Fujica Z1 for a starter Single-8 camera. But now you turned my attention to the P2. What speeds are supported on the P2? 18fps only? Does it need batteries for the auto exposure? What kind of batteries? Can you switch it to manual exposure mode? Also, can you set the ASA on it?
Yes. The P2 ONLY runs at 18 fps and does not have manual exposure. It's a VERY basic camera whose advantage is compactness. The P2 runs off of the AA batteries for exposure.

You mention the Z1. The Z2 is probably a better choice. Both have 1/18/24 fps and manual/auto expsoure, but he Z2 adds a variable shutter angle. Unfortunately both of those cameras require an extra battery for exposure, but they're cheap. The Z1 and Z2 share the same body, which is compact. The drawbacks compared to the Z700 and Z800 cameras are that the zoom is short (maybe only 4x zoom) and the lens is not multi-coated like the Z700/Z800. The Z700 and Z800 also add 36 fps.
super8man

Post by super8man »

Hey, I have the Z2 with the super ultra rare electric zoom motor attachment. OK, probably so common people through it out. But, it is a great example of old school technology. It basically grips the side of the camera and you use a rocker switch instead of the camera's roller to change the zoom. Really corny. Fun though.

However, I have been meaning to profile it on my website but still have not shot any fuji single 8. I see a nice guy on ebay selling the film out of Los Angeles and also offers mail-in processing, made a contact and deemed it was doable. Just have to get into it I guess. Been busy pursuing regular 8 lately.

The Z2 takes the PX-14 2.7 volt battery for the light meter which is sold here on ebay in a 3.0v variety. I bought some and they work great. Of course, experiment with the exposure of the camera you are using.

The Z2 is a pretty advanced camera for its year. I am curious how it looks on film too!
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Thanks for the info. I think I'll get a P2 for now, and a Z800 in the near future. This ibenedeti on eBay is REALLY getting on my nerves. He snatches every Fujica he can get. Raising the prices in the process. I truly dislike such characters.
kentbulza wrote:
Lunar07 wrote: I am thinking about getting a Fujica Z1 for a starter Single-8 camera. But now you turned my attention to the P2. What speeds are supported on the P2? 18fps only? Does it need batteries for the auto exposure? What kind of batteries? Can you switch it to manual exposure mode? Also, can you set the ASA on it?
Yes. The P2 ONLY runs at 18 fps and does not have manual exposure. It's a VERY basic camera whose advantage is compactness. The P2 runs off of the AA batteries for exposure.

You mention the Z1. The Z2 is probably a better choice. Both have 1/18/24 fps and manual/auto expsoure, but he Z2 adds a variable shutter angle. Unfortunately both of those cameras require an extra battery for exposure, but they're cheap. The Z1 and Z2 share the same body, which is compact. The drawbacks compared to the Z700 and Z800 cameras are that the zoom is short (maybe only 4x zoom) and the lens is not multi-coated like the Z700/Z800. The Z700 and Z800 also add 36 fps.
aj

Post by aj »

Lunar07 wrote:
I have a Konica brand single-8 camera in original velvet lined suitcase.
Kind regards,

André
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

[quote="Lunar07"]Thanks for the info. I think I'll get a P2 for now, and a Z800 in the near future. This ibenedeti on eBay is REALLY getting on my nerves. He snatches every Fujica he can get. Raising the prices in the process. I truly dislike such characters.[quote="Lunar07"]

I wanted to correct something. The P2 is a f/1.8 lens and the AX100 f/1.1. I said f/1.2 and f/1.1.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

kentbulza wrote:
Lunar07 wrote:Thanks for the info. I think I'll get a P2 for now, and a Z800 in the near future. This ibenedeti on eBay is REALLY getting on my nerves. He snatches every Fujica he can get. Raising the prices in the process. I truly dislike such characters.
Lunar07 wrote:
I wanted to correct something. The P2 is a f/1.8 lens and the AX100 f/1.1. I said f/1.2 and f/1.1.
I was checking on the specs and noticed that the P2 is a f/1.8 lens, and was about to ask you about it. I believe also that the AX100 is non-reflex. The AX100 has some cool specs.
One more question: What is the diameter of the front lens threads on the P2 and the AX100?
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

Yes. Both are NOT through the lens. That doesn't bother me on these though because remember they're fixed focus with no zoom. If it's matched to the camera, then there's no point in TTL and it would only mean loosing some light when these are designed for low-light use.

I'll get you the thread sizes tonight. Since you bring it up, I should also note that the AX100 has an oversized front thread so that both the meter and lens will go through the filter, making them not quite TTL metering, but functionally equivalent. The P2, on the other hand, has an isolated meter so it doesn't "know" when a filter is attached. The only time you'd really need focus TTL would be with the close up lens, but you can also just follow the directions for the correct distance from the object.
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

super8man wrote:The Z2 is a pretty advanced camera for its year. I am curious how it looks on film too!
It looks pretty good. It doesn't compare to the EBC Fujica lenses though. But I agree -- this is a great camera for 1966 technology. I imagine lap dissolves were quite exciting for people buying these in 66.
Harald

Post by Harald »

No - the Fujica P2 has a reflex viewfinder, only the AX 100 has not!
The diameter ist 24 mm (P 2), 40,5 mm (AX 100).
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Kentbulza wrote: Yes. Both are NOT through the lens. That doesn't bother me on these though because remember they're fixed focus with no zoom. If it's matched to the camera, then there's no point in TTL and it would only mean loosing some light when these are designed for low-light use.
Harald wrote:No - the Fujica P2 has a reflex viewfinder, only the AX 100 has not!
The diameter ist 24 mm (P 2), 40,5 mm (AX 100).
I believe Harald is right - P2 has a reflex viewfinder. But I see Kentbulza point about the electric eye - it is insde the lens thread perimeter so that a filter over the lens will give the right reading. Only problem with this is that installing an anamorphot over the lens on the AX100 prevents the electric eye from receiving any light. I am sure that a special adapter can take care of that.