Canon 814XLS & Nizo S560 Shutter Angle

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

perthskydiver

Canon 814XLS & Nizo S560 Shutter Angle

Post by perthskydiver »

Hello all,

I know my 814XLS has a shutter angle of 220 degrees & 150 degrees. How do I switch between the 2 settings? When would I use 150 & when 220?

Also I believe the Nizo S560 is set a one constant shutter angle, does anyone know what the angle is?
Jamie
FourFourForty

Post by FourFourForty »

The shutter angle is 220 when the switch for indoor filming is engaged. When you engage the daylight (85) filter, the shutter angle is 150.
perthskydiver

Post by perthskydiver »

thanks for that...

anyone for the Nizo S560?
Jamie
JoshuaRyan

Post by JoshuaRyan »

where do you find shutter angles for cameras?
monobath

Post by monobath »

Often it is listed in the detailed specifications section of the owners manual. For some cameras, especially those with a limited feature set or intended for the entry level market, the information may not be published at all.

I googled it and turned up the Single 8 518 SV on the Canon Camera Museum. This is for a Single 8 camera, not a Super 8. The specifications page indicates that the shutter is 150 with a fade capability to 0.

I couldn't find a Super 8 version of the 518 that was designated SV. If you look at the two Super 8 518 cameras, the Zoom 518 and the Autozoom 518 on the 8mm Moive Cameras page, you'll see they both have 160 degree shutters.

Perhaps you could identify your camera from those pictured. Detailed features are described on the specifications page for each camera. If there was a 518 SV in Super 8, and not just in Single 8, then it isn't listed on the Canon Camera Museum website.

But anyway, you might just assume a 160 degree shutter and do a film test to see what you get.
monobath

Post by monobath »

Wait, I found your camera, Josh. I'll post it in a different thread shortly, as this thread is really about the 814XLS and the Nizo S560.
JoshuaRyan

Post by JoshuaRyan »

ohh thanks man. I swear ive been using the internet for years and years and still dont think to google stuff. I think that information is still hard to get and have to ask someone for it, when pretty everything you want to know is allready up for everyone to see. thanks for the help though.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

FourFourForty wrote:The shutter angle is 220 when the switch for indoor filming is engaged. When you engage the daylight (85) filter, the shutter angle is 150.
Not so, the shutter angle control and filter setting are 2 seperate functions. if your looking at the camera (side with all the controls) the shutter angle is controlled by the top left knob. turned counter clockwise is 220, clockwise is 150.. (if i remember correctly) if you want more exposure, use the 220 shutter.
Maurizio Di Cintio

Post by Maurizio Di Cintio »

In fact I agree with T-Scan. True it is that having the filter in place requires a bigger iris aperture (way less than half a stop), so you need more light, in other terms. But the use of a 150° shutter aperture instead of 220° has compltely different reasons than the filter. You want to use 220° when you don't have much light, because in this case more light is let through the film, and maybe to do horizontal pans. You want to use the smaller shuhtter angle when filming in sulight, ,outdoor; BTW the use of this angle gives your footage, if shot at 24, a "look" identical to that of professional films, flickerwise.
FourFourForty

Post by FourFourForty »

The question was:
Hello all,

I know my 814XLS has a shutter angle of 220 degrees & 150 degrees. How do I switch between the 2 settings? When would I use 150 & when 220?
I have the manual for the 1014 XL-S and the 814 XL-S in front of me.

Shutter Opening Angle: "Two settings. 'window symbol' (220 degrees) for XL filming and 'sun symbol' (150 degrees) for regular filming." (which is what I posted).

Shutter Opening Angle Dial

The camera's shutter consists of blades which form a disc shape with an opening. The angle of the opening is variable from 0 degrees to 220 degrees. At the position of the sun symbol, the opening angle is 150 degrees and exposure time is relatively short. At the position of the window symbol, the opening is at its widest angle of 220 degrees and exposure time is long enough to let more light for the film for XL filming in dim light.

Of course the use of the filter is for different reasons, but the question asked was "... how do I switch between the two settings?" and "When would I use 150 & 220?". Switching to the 'window' symbol sets the shutter angle at 220 for dim light filming. Switching to the 'sun' symbol sets it at 150 for regular filming.

If you disagree with that, you may want to notifiy Canon that there is an error in the user's manual.
JGrube

Post by JGrube »

I could be mistaken, but silent Nizo cameras with an f1.8 lens are generally a 150 degree shutter, which can be locked down halfway at 75 degrees (and some higher end models can also be locked a quarter of the way at 37 degrees or so), Nizo silent cameras with an f2.5 lens are generally 220 degrees shutters that can be locked halfway at 110 (like my S80). Your S560 is PROBABLY a 150 degree shutter, and if you pull the fade in/out lever on the control side of the camera halfway back and the pull down on it so that it clicks into place, you'll be at 75 degrees.

I'm 99% sure this is right. If I'm wrong, apologies in advance.

Jason
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

FourFourForty wrote:
I have the manual for the 1014 XL-S and the 814 XL-S in front of me.

Shutter Opening Angle: "Two settings. 'window symbol' (220 degrees) for XL filming and 'sun symbol' (150 degrees) for regular filming." (which is what I posted).

Shutter Opening Angle Dial

The camera's shutter consists of blades which form a disc shape with an opening. The angle of the opening is variable from 0 degrees to 220 degrees. At the position of the sun symbol, the opening angle is 150 degrees and exposure time is relatively short. At the position of the window symbol, the opening is at its widest angle of 220 degrees and exposure time is long enough to let more light for the film for XL filming in dim light.

Of course the use of the filter is for different reasons, but the question asked was "... how do I switch between the two settings?" and "When would I use 150 & 220?". Switching to the 'window' symbol sets the shutter angle at 220 for dim light filming. Switching to the 'sun' symbol sets it at 150 for regular filming.

If you disagree with that, you may want to notifiy Canon that there is an error in the user's manual.
What the manual says is correct, but in your initial reply you said:
FourFourForty wrote:When you engage the daylight (85) filter, the shutter angle is 150.
which is not correct, so I think that was the issue. Engaging the daylight filter does not change the shutter angle, which is controlled by a separate knob. That sun symbol on the shutter angle control can lead to some confusion, so you probably didn't mean it the way it came out the first time.

Cheers
Rick
http://www.frienlyfirefilms.ca
FourFourForty

Post by FourFourForty »

Rick Palidwor wrote:
Engaging the daylight filter does not change the shutter angle, which is controlled by a separate knob. That sun symbol on the shutter angle control can lead to some confusion, so you probably didn't mean it the way it came out the first time.

Cheers
Rick
http://www.frienlyfirefilms.ca
You're right, Rick. I was at the time, however, thinking that the filter switch controlled the shutter angle as well. I know better, but obviously it didn't appear so. My apologies for the misinformation.
Maurizio Di Cintio

Post by Maurizio Di Cintio »

So evidently there is no mistake in Canon's user's manual. It's just that, probably the sun symbol on the shutter angle dial may lead to some confusion. In fact the symbol of the sun means: use this setting when there is plenty of light (e.g. in sunlight, but not limited to it) and use the setting of the window when you shoot indoor, implying there is little light (which might not always be the case either, since if you use an indoor lighting system, you can rest on a 150° shutter opening as well).

Cheers.
Justin Lovell

light metering with shutter angles

Post by Justin Lovell »

if you are metering with a seperate light meter, and you adjust your shutter angle, how do you compensate on your light meter for the adjustment?.. is it like a 1 stop difference..?

thanks.

... i wish there was a way to stop down the shutter angle to on the 1014xl-s to ..say.. 1/45 to get that really jittery, crisp feel ..

justin