Kodak site has wrong ASA for PXR 464

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

monobath

Kodak site has wrong ASA for PXR 464

Post by monobath »

On the Super 8mm Film Products page, Kodak states that Plus-X reversal film is 100 ASA Daylight or 80 ASA Tungsten. This is the 7265 film stock. It has always been 50D / 40T, as every box I have states. Has Kodak changed this emulsion?
monobath

Post by monobath »

Oh wait. I see. 7276 is 50D / 40T. That's the old Plus-X. There is indeed a new Plus-x, 7265.

Guess I'm behind the times. How does 7265 compare to 7276?
FilmIs4Ever

Post by FilmIs4Ever »

I have heard that the new Plus-X is not a true 100 and that the blacks aren't as crisp. Others think it's great. The reason for the speed increase is the new process that Kodak has developed that is more environmentally friendly. In reality, there is little change to the film emulsions other than to optimize them to the new chemical formulas in use. If you were to use the old chemicals in having your film processed, Plus-X would still be a 50/40T. I bet if you shortened development time in the new soup it'd also be possible to bring it down to 50/40T and make it look crisper. Kodak's reasoning for even speeding up Plus-X is unclear to me. Even they said there would be a "slight grain penalty" with the extra stop in the EI.

Regards.
FilmIs4Ever

Post by FilmIs4Ever »

I have heard that the new Plus-X is not a true 100 and that the blacks aren't as crisp. Others think it's great. The reason for the speed increase is the new process that Kodak has developed that is more environmentally friendly. In reality, there is little change to the film emulsions other than to optimize them to the new chemical formulas in use. If you were to use the old chemicals in having your film processed, Plus-X would still be a 50/40T. I bet if you shortened development time in the new soup it'd also be possible to bring it down to 50/40T and make it look crisper. Kodak's reasoning for even speeding up Plus-X is unclear to me. Even they said there would be a "slight grain penalty" with the extra stop in the EI.

Regards.
monobath

Post by monobath »

I still have 9 or 10 carts of 7276 in the freezer, so it'll be a while before I buy any of the new 7265. Or maybe not so long, depending on how much I shoot when I go on vacation in a month.

Anyhow, I develop in D-94, and I don't see any good reason to switch to D-94A. I don't really need the extra stop, and I certainly don't want the grain penalty. Although Kodak's FAQ doesn't say so, I hope that 7265 developed in D-94 has the same grain as 7276 in D-94.
Chris Cottrill

Post by Chris Cottrill »

I did a review of the new Plus-X and Tri-X stocks for the magazine INTERNATIONAL MOVIE MAKING and I could not tell any grain difference between the two. On the whole, I like the new Plus-X better because it had darker and richer blacks (that old Hollywood black & white look). I always thought that Plus-X was a little weak on contrast but not so anymore. Overall I highly recommend the new Plus-X.
monobath

Post by monobath »

Thanks, Chris. Is that an online magazine, or a paper one? What issue, or can I access your review online?
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I have not shot any of the new B+W Plus-X or Tri-X, but the increase in contrast for Plus-X makes sense. The old Plus-X didn't really meet its full potential until a print was made from the original. Then the slight increase in contrast worked to make a spectacular print. Since most reversal film today will not go the print route, the increase in contrast will make for transfers with more punch. I am very excited about the deeper blacks... I don't really care too much for the added speed, but since I usually filter B+W outdoors it is easy to bring the exposure into the range I desire. I bet the new Plus-X will look gorgeous when projecting the original.

David M. Leugers
Carlos 8mm

Post by Carlos 8mm »

What about the new 7266 Tri-X film?.
Is it less grainy than Tri-X 7278 as Kodak anounces in its own Web Site?

Carlos.
Chris Cottrill

Post by Chris Cottrill »

The International Movie Making magazine is paper only, and not on-line. I do have my articles that I write for the magazine on-line (although I am about three issues behind in posting them). The site is: http://www.omniprints.com/super8