DR8 and Timelapse Day

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

FilmIs4Ever

DR8 and Timelapse Day

Post by FilmIs4Ever »

Am I the only person on all of planet Earth that is shooting double regular 8mm on timelapse day this Saturday :o Aren't there any other DR8ers out there who'll join in? Old Uncle Berry? Herb?

Regards.
monobath

Post by monobath »

Looks like you're the only one. I would have liked to have filmed regular 8 with my Bolex H8 reflex, but I haven't gotten it all sorted out yet. My lenses need CLA, at the minimum.

What film stock are you going to shoot?
FilmIs4Ever

Post by FilmIs4Ever »

I'm probably going to shoot some 7240, only because it's what I have the most of, and I don't think I'm willing to cut into my stockpile of precious K25. I might give in though if the weather is nice and I really think there's something magical out there this Saturday. If you want to shoot DR8, I promise I won't be upset if you ruin my exclusive position as sole shooter by joining in yourself. Don't you have a small B8 or C8 you can use as an alternative? Is there something wrong with your Rex-4? Even if you don't have a 25 foot Bolex model, you can always find one on ebay or in a yard sale for under $50 (maybe under $20 even!). Of course, if you have S8, then might as well go for it. I don't like the cartridges of S8 along with the weaker sprocket holes. That being said, I don't think I'd mind shooting with maybe a modified Bolex on something such as DS8. Whatever comes of your endeavour, good luck!

Regards.
monobath

Post by monobath »

And good luck to you, too.

I do have my Dad's old Kodak 8mm in storage. But alas, I don't have any DR8 film on hand, and it's a bit late to be ordering it.
FilmIs4Ever

Post by FilmIs4Ever »

I could send you some if you really want to. Where do you live exactly? I have a spare roll or two of 7240 if you're interested.

Regards,
Karl Borowski
monobath

Post by monobath »

I appreciate the offer, Karl, and overnight shipment to Dallas would certainly get it to me in time. But I'm all set to shoot Super 8 on Saturday, and I don't want to shift gears now. I don't have any experience with regular 8, just a good camera that holds out the promise of DR8 fun once I gain some experience with it. If there's a time-lapse project next year, I'll be better prepared to shoot regular 8.

Skip.
FilmIs4Ever

Post by FilmIs4Ever »

Oh, I thought you only had DR8 and you were out of film. If you have S8, then go for it! I don't mind ;-) Just make sure your cart isn't jittery :lol: What are you going to highlight down there in the Lone Star state?

Regards.