8mm / super 8 they still make film for that?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

camera8mm

8mm / super 8 they still make film for that?

Post by camera8mm »

I get this question asked every time I shoot in public.
I'm not necessarily knocking anyone in particular but since its an odd rumor that kodak wants to stop manufacturing film because they think everyone want to go digital. Then again there seems to be very liitle marketing on these stocks other than some postinging on sites like these.

I know there are newbies to the guage of filmmaking and its good to inform them the stock is available....
but its hard to tell someone its available but fading.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

I wouldn't say it's fading at all, but growing.. 2 new stocks and maybe a third being added. people say you are Still shooting Super 8, but most are NOW shooting Super 8.
Angus

Post by Angus »

THe ordinary "man on the clapham omnibus" thinks of super 8, if he can remember that far back, as a home movie making format from the 60's and 70's. He probably hasn't seen anybody out shooting the format since the early 80's and therefore is surprised to see you shooting with such equipment.

When I was in Seattle a few years ago I found myself in a lift with an older gentleman while clutching my Elmo 110. "Geez, is that a super 8?" he asked. So I replied positively, and he answered with the immortal line, "Can you still get film for that?" but went on to say how he loved shooting super 8 in the 70's but stopped when he couldn't find the film any more.

Maybe, just maybe I perrsuaded him to locate a retailer who still stocks movie film. He seemed enthused and certainly thrilled to learn that it wasn't dead.

Most people my age (early 30's) don't even know what a super 8 camera is and assume it's some funky piece of video gear.When I tell them they fall into two categories....either completely turned off, or wide-eyed with interest and envy. I find kids are the most interested, we all need to get kids to see what super 8 is and get them shooting to secure the future of the format.
monobath

Post by monobath »

I'm just a casual shooter using my cameras like my parents did many years ago to record home movies and anything that catches my interest. I might take one or another of my cameras to a park during my lunch break and film a couple of minutes of random activity, people walking or jogging, dogs, street life, skaters, whatever.

It's not uncommon for people to stop and want to talk about the camera. And yes, most people are utterly astounded that film is still available, and especially when I tell them of local camera stores I know of that still regularly stock Super 8.

Every now and then, one of them will get really interested, reveal that they've got an old 8mm or Super 8 stored away somewhere, ask a lot of questions, and claim that they're going to get it out and try it again. I do my best to encourage them. They more film shooters, the better.
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

I once was in a playground to take film on my kids. As soon as I pulled out my 7008Pro and set-up the mike and MD, one guy exclaimed "That is a nice camera, what is it?" He was with his friend with DV camcorders. I told him, it is super 8mm and takes film. Then we went on and talk about the sound sync, where to get the films, cameras, mechanical details of the Beaulieu, about this website, and how beautiful film is. They were so enthused that when we parted, they were so happy about what they learned. I'm sure I just converted 2 people right there to S8. That's equivalent to, at least, another 2 S8 cameras in eBay!

FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

Funnily enough, I was in the pub this afternoon and the bloke next to me recognised that I had a super 8 camera with me. The one thing he didn't say was 'can you still get film for that'. He did however mention that he has two silent cameras, projectors and and screen which he was planning on turfing out. So I gave him my card and await his call.
But there is a point about super 8 and one which I wish the likes of Kodak would latch onto. There are products that people buy as fashionable gadgets which end up in a drawer or cupboard and there are products that people buy and use.
Digital is a product that hits both areas. Most people buy a camera of some form or another but it's only a few who will actually 'use' them. The market for the average body who has no interest in film-making and just wants a laugh or quick pix of family and friends is best served by the compact 35mm or digital cameras or the new generation of mobile phones. The latter here is where I see most people taking pictures but nothing with a serious purpose.
All of us in here, I believe are of 'serious' orientation in film matters and we are the main buyers in the motion imaging field.
Super 8 is a product for the 'serious' user and yet we are left to rely on sites like this to find out what products, old and new, are available.
Perhaps Kodak could do a tele or cinema adverts which uses super 8 stocks to sell to a wider market. There are many young film-makers out there who also believe that Super 8 'stopped' a long time ago. I once encountered the sales pitch of and main-street photo dealer (Klick Photopoint) where the bloke tryed to justify the £18.00 price on the K40 with, "hardly anyone uses it anymore". You better believe he was sharply corrected and lost a sale. But it's that kind of thing coming from photo dealers that leads people to think super 8 is dead and to which many possible 8mmm users have gone staight to digital.
I am delighted to say however that Film-Thurso has it's first convert to film. Our man is keen on miniDV and digital editing but has become interested in super 8 because he's being taught his video making skills from Film-Thurso which is very much film minded. He is becoming aware that both fields offer creative possabilities. Using only one or the other would limit the creative skills. He now has a little Halina silent camera from the 1960s and it's a good machine for him to start learning the ways of film.
Film-Thurso is well known in our area for our use of actual film so not many people actually say anything except comments on the size of camera (sometimes small- sometimes big) or they ask about the big lens on the front and are then astounded that it's the kind that makes 'Wide' movies- Waow! Most people here are affraid to ask because it all seems too technical for them and no-one likes to look thick but what's so difficult about cine?
On the ego side of things I love the Gala night in town when sudo-well-off people flash their digital toys and I pull out the super 8 or 16mm cameras which are quite basic yet are far more capable than the digital brigade who don't really know what they can do with a camera. They are shocked that my cameras have better color, resolution, exposure control and lens options. They are totally blown out of the water when they are told how big the screen can be as well. There is a question I ask video users- 'what do you use your camera for?' The answer, "not much".
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

Whenever anyone says "can you still get film for that" I just tell them about how Super8 has now become a more professional format, and that there are more stocks now than ever before.

I was using my Nizo professional once, and some of my friends just assumed it was a new camera, because it looked retro!

Another friend of mine got me to acquire him a Nizo, but it had to be "one of those silver ones like yours" He has since shot about 3 rolls of K40 - The last two werer truly terrible, as case of camcorder technique. However I know that wneh he sees the results he will want to try again to iron out the problems.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
Plastik

Post by Plastik »

I once scored a super 8 camera off a guy that was so excited at the fact that I used one. He was telling me about all the things which he used it for in the past. He hadn't used it in maybe ten or so years and thought I could get good use out of it.

Whenever I'm at a place or function with my Nizo, people always ask about it. Most of the time they're impressed by it. Whenever I see someone with one of those mini dv camera's which have small lenses, I like to screw on my Ultra-wide 3 - that gets them going.
Ertugrul Togacay
FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

Of the few that speak to me about it, they are generally impressed and anyone using the term 'video camera' receives a quick tuition in the major differences between film and video.
I personally prefer showing my anamorphic in public (that sounds illegal) and people are amazed that amateurs can make 'proper' widescreen movies (the wrong term which is also corrected at the point of their blaspheme- Panascreen or CinemaScope) and more amazed when they learn that their widescreen tele isn't giving them the full deal. It gets more astounding when the 2x anamorphic is expanded by 4x wide angle convertion.
Sometimes I used a dual mount set up, that totally leaves the little video boys behind. I too have spent a few moments on the ignorant to explain how super 8 has become a professional format and has an expanding market. Many people fail to notice just how many adverts in cinema and TV are shot on super 8mm as well as additional footage within mainstream movies.
Splee

Post by Splee »

I went to Jessop's yesterday, and bought three carts of K40 for a weekend filming trip. The first assistant I asked - I'm guessing she was 22/24ish or thereabouts - had no idea what Super 8 film was, and had to ask a colleague, but I left with what I wanted. This makes me sound old - I'm actually only 29, and have only been shooting Super 8 for a year.

People are generally surprised and impressed when I tell them I shoot film, and are intrigued by why I bother. All questions on this front usually disappear when I project a huge K40 image onto the wall. :)

Lee
FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

Yeah, I've had that response in the Inverness Jessops but I then point to the film I'm asking for. Incidentally the Inverness shop has super 8 slice tapes and 400ft reels in stock- remarkable. Their price on film is really good to at £11.99p for K40.
I find people tend to be wowed by picture size and when they see it they do tend to shut up. Anytime I've got some bloke mouthing about his digital camera/suppliment and wide screen TV, I simply make mention of my Elmo GS1200 (all praise the Mighty Elmo) does a nice 20ft Cinemascope picture with full surround sound. 8O Not bad for film shot on a clickity clockwork Russian Quarz.
Angus

Post by Angus »

matt5791 wrote:Whenever anyone says "can you still get film for that" I just tell them about how Super8 has now become a more professional format, and that there are more stocks now than ever before.

But there aren't more stocks than ever before.

There are more than we had 8 years ago, but certainly not more than ever before.
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

Angus wrote:But there aren't more stocks than ever before.

There are more than we had 8 years ago, but certainly not more than ever before.
I was including the availability of the Pro8 stocks which now total 11, although I know the 200 and 500 neg are the same as those offered by Kodak themselves. So I think that makes 15 with K40, vnf and the two B/W reversal.

I know that the pro8 stocks are not officially offered by kodak, but they are still super8 format stocks.

Mabey I should have said more variety of types and speeds of film stock than ever before :)

Matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962