Disney getting political

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Lucas Lightfeat

Post by Lucas Lightfeat »

T-Scan wrote:
soundboy wrote:
T-Scan wrote:I've heard Micheal Moore speak about this film months ago. and boy does he stick it to the Bush's in this one.. about their oil interests and their strong ties to the Bin Laden's. i'm sure that during this heated election year, the Bush's will do anything to shut this film down.
I thought in the US you have Free Speech, or is Bush trying to stop it.
Free Speech suffers next to money and power.. and Free Speech can be oppressed by many excuses, like "inappropriate" or "vulgar". in this case I think that GW Bush doesn't want the country hearing about the Bin Laden family in the US being given special flight privilages right after 9-11 when no one else could fly.. and all kinds of other dirt on the Bush's oil interests. they may not stop the movie completely, but will surley make things difficult for Mr. Moore. there is another amendment in this country called "Big Money!"
OK so:

Monarchy - government by a royal family
Democracy - government of electives voted for by the people
Polity - democracy using referendum votes continuously
Autocracy - government by an individual dictator
Plutocracy - government by the rich and ruling classes
Oligarchy - as above, but for entirely selfish or evil ends
Aristocracy - government by a small elite
Ochlocracy - government by organised criminal syndicate
Theocracy - government of the dominant religion

Hmm. Which of us live in a democracy then?

Lucas

p.s. above courtesy of good old google - the best education there is.
Carlos 8mm

Post by Carlos 8mm »

Errr... :?
Lucas,
to add to the list:
Cleptocracy: Governent of a bunch of fu(beep!)ng thieves.

Simplifying Lucas list, except democracy today We´re living in a All-that-shit-cracy (or crazy??) :roll:

Carlos.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Lucas Lightfeat wrote: Of course it is - Bowling for Columbine had the largest cinema sales over here of any documentary in UK history. We love to ponder over how crazy America is - it makes us feel better about living in this shit-hole. ;)

Lucas
I've lived in both countries, and came back to the shit-hole...

makes you think, don't it....

But we digress, this is the last political comment I'll make in this thread
Basstruc

Post by Basstruc »

Michael Moore though a brilliant filmmaker, is also more of a propagandist
In France, the famous "Les cahiers du cinéma" magazin said something about Bowling for Columbine like : "Anyway, in this movie, Moore is critisizing what in fact he is doing" or "How can Moore critize violence and fear on TV while he keep showing us ultra-violent scenes and dangerous people". And after seeing, I kinda agreed with them. In my deep, my feeling about USA not beeing a safe country was bigger than before.

I always thought taht auto-proclamed spokesman are bad spokesman. How can he blame Bush propaganda while he does argue his cause with very discutable exemples. I remember him comparing (at least in the french transcription) the number of people dead by gun shot in different counties without even taking the total population factor in the maths.

I apology for bad english and if the subjet has already been talk cause I did not understood everything on this post.
Matt
calgodot

Viva Michael Moore!!!

Post by calgodot »

Lucas Lightfeat wrote:Democracy - government of electives voted for by the people
That's actually a "democratic republic" and the source of the eternal argument regarding whether the USA is a "democracy" or a "republic."

The true definition of "democracy" is "government by the people." A "republic" is a government of representatives who may or may not be elected by the people. The Roman republic elected the senate, but only a select group of citizens were allowed to vote. A common example of "democracy" is classical Athens, but even though the voting base was larger than that of Rome, not everyone in Athens had the right to vote.

The United States is regarded as one of the first nations to open the election of governmental representatives up to everyone - but of course we all know this is not true (even to this day), as women and blacks have both had to struggle for voting rights in this country.

An actual "democracy" would not resort to electors in order to finalize a Presidential election. Nor would it elect someone to the legislature and then allow them to go on voting for years without another vote from the people. To distinguish true democracy from "American democracy," scholars often prefer the terms "direct democracy" and "democratic republic."

It is positively Orwellian how a word that once had a simple meaning ("government by the people") has been irrevocably altered by "American democracy" to mean "President elected by people (electors) who are selected by officials (state gov'ts) who were elected by the people."

Ths US is not a "direct democracy" - if we had that in the US Gore would be President and we wouldn't be typing in this thread because Moore wouldn't have el jefe Bush to push around.
Hmm. Which of us live in a democracy then?
I doubt any of us do. But I'm not as up on my understanding of European democratic governments as I should be, so I don't wish to insult any actual working democracies out there.

(BTW, those of you taking the "publicity stunt" angle on this: ask yourself, if Disney did notify Moore of this a year ago - which is indisputable - why did they not allow Moore to shop the film around to other distributors? Why did they refuse to sign off distribution on the basis that they have right of first refusal and the film wasn't finished yet? Why has Disney retained the European distribution rights? What does this have to do with the recent move by the Florida legislature to re-visit the Reedy Creek Improvement District, an autonomous region of land administrated by Disney? Or the AP investigation of Disney's use of farm-designated tax breaks to lower the taxes on its real estate holdings? Seriously - try to do a little research before bloviating.)

Viva Michael Moore!!!
"I'm the master of low expectations. I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things."—George W. Bush, June 4, 2003
Lucas Lightfeat

Hi Calgodot,

I was merely asking the question, and not even of the US specifically. Democracy actually meant "mob rule" once upon a time, but has come to mean a government voted for by the people at large. You're missing my point, however, which isn't hard because I didn't make it, but asked a rhetorical qquestion instead. I'll be more direct. My point is, when media companies wield such power over the public's election vote, doesn't this undermine democracy to the point that it becomes a plutocracy. This is one of the fundamental problems of the free capitalist state: justice and power are for sale, and democracy becomes impossible to sustain.

Lucas
calgodot

Post by calgodot »

Lucas Lightfeat wrote:My point is, when media companies wield such power over the public's election vote, doesn't this undermine democracy to the point that it becomes a plutocracy. This is one of the fundamental problems of the free capitalist state: justice and power are for sale, and democracy becomes impossible to sustain.
Oh yeah. I cannot agree more. Yes yes yes. Justice and power are for sale in America. Welcome to the Corporate States of America, Inc.
"I'm the master of low expectations. I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things."—George W. Bush, June 4, 2003
Super8rules

Post by Super8rules »

Contrary to what we are taught, America is not a democracy. We are a Republic and it says so in the Constitution. Infact, the word democracy is found nowhere in any founding document.

Republics and Democracies are two entirely different forms of government.

In a republic American style, individual rights are protected by law. The governments number one job is to protect these rights. If you protect the rights of one individual, then you ultimately protect the rights of everyone.

In a democracy, rights are subject to the will of the majority. Can be both good and bad, depending on whose side you are on at any given time. It's essentially mob rule.

Slavery in the south was a product of democracy. The majority which happened to be white, said that blacks had no rights. It didn't matter what the Constitution said, the majority used it's power to push its will.

A lynching was the most extreme form of democracy. A wild mob would condemn a black man and lynch him without the chance for that black man to have his due process in a court of law (guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment). His rights were disposable only because the majority said they were.

Democracies have always self-destructed and America is experiencing this self-destruction because we forgot the rights rights of the individual.

Michael Moore is pushing this along quite nicely. His BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE perpetuates the myth that America has a violent gun culture (which it does not). Only the criminals who have guns are the violent ones and they are the ones that don't abide by gun laws anyway, no matter how many laws are on the books.

But because of this propaganda, the majority (mob) has basically destroyed the Second Amendment right for the honest, law-abiding citizen to bear arms. In fact, given the chance, Americans have been so brainwashed that if they could, they would vote the Second Amendment out of existance.

We are seeing the First Amendment hang in the balance too. Political Correctness set the stage for acceptable censorship. Once it creeps in, it will grow and keep growing. Why doesn't Moore do a film on the dangers of Political Correctness, to see where it has gotten us. Even he is now a casuality.
Lucas Lightfeat

Super8rules wrote:A lynching was the most extreme form of democracy. A wild mob would condemn a black man and lynch him without the chance for that black man to have his due process in a court of law (guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment). His rights were disposable only because the majority said they were.
A very interesting and true point.
Michael Moore is pushing this along quite nicely. His BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE perpetuates the myth that America has a violent gun culture (which it does not). Only the criminals who have guns are the violent ones and they are the ones that don't abide by gun laws anyway, no matter how many laws are on the books.

But because of this propaganda, the majority (mob) has basically destroyed the Second Amendment right for the honest, law-abiding citizen to bear arms. In fact, given the chance, Americans have been so brainwashed that if they could, they would vote the Second Amendment out of existance.
The second amendmant "right" isn't a human right. It isn't intrinsic to your wellbeing to own a gun. It may have been once, back in the days of yore, but more often than not now it's just a dangerous, antisocial thing. It's not a birthright to be able to own a gun, any more than it is to own biological weapons. One day they may have to ban environmentally dangerous things like nuclear power or petrol engines, but people now consider their luxuriant lifestyles their birthright...I digress slightly. What I'm saying is that your constitution is stupid and inflexible - it's treated like religious texts: taken literally as though the carved in stone word of God for all time, no matter what. I'm just glad that in the UK we have no such "rights" as we have no constitution at all.

Lucas
calgodot

Learn Your History

Post by calgodot »

Super8rules wrote:Slavery in the south was a product of democracy. The majority which happened to be white, said that blacks had no rights. It didn't matter what the Constitution said, the majority used it's power to push its will.
Slavery was everywhere in colonial America and it was a product of the Old World, not an American creation. The socio-political movement to free the slaves began in Boston. That movement was Democracy in action. The Republic - white men sitting in a room decided what was for the best of everyone - is what continued slavery, not a vote of the people. Further the Confederacy was itself a form of republic, and the southern citizens were never asked to vote on the issue. Oh, and it was the Supreme Court (only 9 men!) who decided that "blacks had no rights" - before the Civil War, y'know.
Super8rules wrote:A lynching was the most extreme form of democracy.
There's a lot of demos in a lynch mob but not very much kratos. In other words, in mob rule there is no rule. I.e. you can't call it democracy if there's no government.
Super8rules wrote:His BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE perpetuates the myth that America has a violent gun culture (which it does not). Only the criminals who have guns are the violent ones and they are the ones that don't abide by gun laws anyway, no matter how many laws are on the books.
Did you clip that from the NRA? ;) If you don't call it a "violent gun culture," what is it then? Certainly not "non-violent." Certainly not "non-gun." "Violent mostly-gun culture?" Hmm.

America - the country that invented the Western and the shoot-out (not to mention noir, detective novels, etc.), where the most violent films and television shows are produced, where Congress feels compelled to have committees that survey and investigate violence in TV and film - not a "violent gun culture?"

All those deaths by gunshot are what? All done by criminals? The husband who shoots his wife and kids one day is not a criminal until he shoots his wife and kids. Oh, but that's what the NRA means when they say "Only criminals use guns in crimes." That, my friend, is a beautiful tautology.
Super8rules wrote:But because of this propaganda, the majority (mob) has basically destroyed the Second Amendment right for the honest, law-abiding citizen to bear arms. In fact, given the chance, Americans have been so brainwashed that if they could, they would vote the Second Amendment out of existance.
Rubbish. A waiting period does not equate to a "basically destroyed" Second Amendment. You can still buy guns, you can still own guns. Americans would never repeal the Second Amendment. Any "brainwashing" on this issue is perpetuated by both sides, and the NRA has a lot more money than any gun control advocacy group. You are just "basically" wrong.
Super8rules wrote:We are seeing the First Amendment hang in the balance too.
This is true, but...
Super8rules wrote:Political Correctness set the stage for acceptable censorship.
I presume you must be referring to the "political correctness" of the FCC fining people for saying naughty words on TV and radio. All brought about because a few hundred people called and complained. (Oddly the FCC decided to ignore the thousands of calls it got about the media consolidation rules. But that's a corporate republic for ya.)

We have a lot more to fear from Congress and the gaggle of self-righteous pesudo-Christians (like John Ashcroft) who riddle the administration like cockroaches than a bunch of granola-eating sandal-wearing PC-types.
Super8rules wrote:Why doesn't Moore do a film on the dangers of Political Correctness.
Why don't you?

Moore knows it's mostly a myth, this PC business, and that we have way more to fear from corporations who control our media and a government seemingly bent on restricting our freedoms. That, and maybe he's selective about the company he keeps: most of the people who rant about PC are just upset they can't use the word "nigger" in polite conversation any more.

Viva Michael Moore!!!

[/i]
Super8rules

Post by Super8rules »

Quite amazing how threads progress!

Lucas Light Feat:

You are correct that owning a "gun" is not a human right, but defending oneselve is a human right.

The founders of America did not write the Second Amendment so that we could hunt wabbits to our hearts content. The Second was written as a tool of freedom. It was a way for a society as a last resort to protect itself from criminals and from an opressive government.

What is one of the first things dictators do in their grab for absolute power? They seize private weapons and make it illegal to own them. How can they have absolute power with an armed citizenry?

The Second Amendment was also written to ensure the citizen was able to be equally armed as any common soldier in a standing Army. Again, checks and balances.

Our very own revolution began over King George's attempt to seize guns and powder in Lexington and Concord. He knew the quickest way to stop the growing rebellion was to take away their means to fight. This was the last straw for the colonialist and they refused to give up their arms.

Colgodot:

You said:
Slavery was everywhere in colonial America and it was a product of the Old World, not an American creation. The socio-political movement to free the slaves began in Boston. That movement was Democracy in action. The Republic - white men sitting in a room decided what was for the best of everyone - is what continued slavery, not a vote of the people. Further the Confederacy was itself a form of republic, and the southern citizens were never asked to vote on the issue. Oh, and it was the Supreme Court (only 9 men!) who decided that "blacks had no rights" - before the Civil War, y'know.

Slavery was illegal in the northern colonies. One of the main reasons the Colonist pushed for separation from England was because of the slave trade. The Continental Congress tried several attempts to end slavery in the colonies but King George vetoed their legislation. Many of the founders were passionate abolishonist, such as John Adams.

If you read the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson list the "barbaric act" of the slave trade as on of the reasons given for independence.

Then, one of the first Acts passed after the Constitution was ratified was in order for a territory to become a state, it had to become a free state. But southern democrats waited until most of the founders had died off and in 1820, passed the Missouri Compromise, which said that for every free state admitted, there had to be a slave state. If these pro-slavery democrats failed, so would slavery. But unfortunately we needed a war to end it. It would have ended well before the 1860's.

All one has to do is trace the history of gun control in America and you will find that it started in the south immediately after the freeing of the slaves. Southerners scared of retaliation pushed for gun taxes and written test as a prerequisite for gun ownership knowing most blacks couldn't afford a tax, and could read or write. Plus, why would the KKK want an armed blackman when they went on their midnight sheet raids?

You said:
Did you clip that from the NRA? If you don't call it a "violent gun culture," what is it then? Certainly not "non-violent." Certainly not "non-gun." "Violent mostly-gun culture?" Hmm.
No, I am not a member of the NRA but I own a rifle or two and I know several people who own guns. There is nothing violent about it. I've never in my life seen a violent gun act by an honest law-abiding gun owner.

Gun violence is perpetrated by violent people who own guns illegally. It takes a dark heart to kill, not a gun.

But as the saying goes "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun".

you said:
most of the people who rant about PC are just upset they can't use the word "nigger" in polite conversation any more.
But I guess it's okay to say things like:
"self-righteous pesudo-Christians" :rolleyes

I don't know anyone who uses that word anymore, except black people. I hear that word in more rap music than anywhere else.
super8man

Real words to live by...

Post by super8man »

I just live by these words.

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No Hell below us
Above us, only sky
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

John Lennon
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Winston Churchill wrote: Democracy is the worst form of Government there is.........apart from all the other ones

.......or something like that
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
monobath

Post by monobath »

Very well written, Super8rules, particularly with respect to the 2nd. **Applause**
monobath

Post by monobath »

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.)

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

"The advantage of being armed . . . the Americans possess over the people of all other nations . . . Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several Kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, author of the Bill of Rights, in his Federalist Paper No. 46.)

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." (Second Amendment to the Constitution.)