WHere do you get your film?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

WHere do you get your film?

Post by Guest »

:?: for everyone. Where do you get your film? Both 8mm or 16mm, either film, and any type. I'm curious and interested in where everyone on this forum buys their film, from walkin storefront to website orders. If you buy film from the corner store somewhere, list it :!: Like to hear where people buy film, what kind, ect. I'll start off with the obvious one to me, the Kodak link for 8mm film per Kodak's website.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/super8/
To order Super 8mm Motion Picture Film
Please call: 1-800-621-FILM(3456)
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

Dang that's frustrating. :? That was me. 8)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The Big K

Good Luck
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

Kodak Manhattan via telephone order:

1-800-621-FILM

They don't always know what they're talking about, but it's quick, and usually cheaper.

(Ooops! Sorry for the repeat!)
woods01

Post by woods01 »

I used to buy it from a local store when I thought I was too small time to
call Kodak. I'm still small time but I order from Kodak now :D Its just far
cheaper. On the one hand I'm contributing to another nail in S8 being
available in local shops but I save about 30% this way. I buy more and
shoot more now. I average about 1 roll of K40 a month a now, shooting
when I'm inspired to and not fretting about $$. I even think I will shoot
some traditional home movies if a good situtation pops up.
downix

Post by downix »

Nobody local has Super8, one place has 16mm and that is it. So, it's Kodak for me.
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

In Copenhagen a shop called foto/c stores K-40 and Tri-x.

Calling the local kodak office is always better (and cheaper).

I also order from the internet: Andec, Kahl, Widescreen Centre (mostly non-Kodak film or special bulk offers). Also ebay is a good place to find some odd things once in a while, but I need to empty my fridge right now...

cheers
sunrise
studiocarter

film

Post by studiocarter »

Jessops for K40 S8 or Kodak in London for 16mm, however, Pro-8mm in London has double perf reversal 16mm plus-x which Kodak couldn't provide...
Angus

Post by Angus »

7dayshop.com for K40, very occasionally I'll buy from Luton Camera Repairs (Guildford Street, Luton, UK) if I am desperate but naturally their prices are higher.

Ektachrome and the B&W stocks I usually buy from leescameras.co.uk
or occasionally if I am in the area I buy from the Widescreen Centre's London branch just off Baker St.

I have also bought from Bristol Cine Sales in the past (aavon.com) and used to buy from Simply Cine but I am certain they've ceased trading.
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

In the UK I have bought from

Pro8mm 0207 439 7008

Kodak Entertainment Imaging UK 01442 845945

Fuji Motion Picture (16mm only) 0207 465 5753

Widescreen Centre 0207 935 2580

Jessops (only sell K40) branches nationwide

Boots cash chemists (now ceased selling K40) good line of perfumes

Widescreen centre is also good for anything optical like microscopes and telescopes aswell as other unusual cameras etc. if you are into that type of thing.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
TomFoolery

Post by TomFoolery »

after winning a film stock award from kodak and dealing with their rep for my region, i order through them (over the phone). it's the most cost effective/convenient for me. i don't even know of a dealer in the detroit area for super 8?
All that is, is light.
scott

FIlm

Post by scott »

I get my film from B&H in New York. They have everything you would ever need, except movie cameras. They sell the mailers as well.

Scott
Independent Filmmaker
http://www.lytewave.com/
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

I can only buy movie film online. I buy Fomapan and Ektachrome from John Schwind in both 8mm and 16mm. I buy 16mm Plus-x and Ektachrome from Jim Peters of FilmLab. He uses Paypal so it makes it easy to order film from him. I have also purchased film from Raw Stock of New York and from an eBay dealer of shortends.
pelluet

Post by pelluet »

In Worthing [ quiet provincial, sea side town on the South Coast of the UK] I can get:

K40 TRIX & PANX from Jessops, best over the counter deals with 10% discount for ten or more films plus they always keep 12 x K40 on the shelf.

K40 TRIX & PANX are also available form Photplus on Tarring road who are a small store that seem to cater mostly for students.

K40 also available from Photo-Sound on the main street but ridiculously expensive, they seem to sell it though but I can't imagine who to!

On line deals from all the places already mentioned, I think sevendayshop.com is about the cheapest. I like to buy it over the counter if I can though so that the assistants know that it is still being used and that it still exists!!

mike
Old Uncle Barry

Post by Old Uncle Barry »

For 16mm I get my single-perf K40 from Lorell Photographic Luton-its nine-quid cheaper than Widescreen Centre and is fresh stock too.
As for Super8-you cannot touch 7dayshop.com :D