Filming railways?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

tim

Filming railways?

Post by tim »

Who films railways in S8? In which format?
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Tons. K-40, but did a roll of VNF recently at the tracks and it captured the mood a lot better with a gritty feel.
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

Well, you already know I do.

I basically film railroads in two modes:either a documentary mode of present day subjects in K-40, or a nostalgic one of historic trains in museums in Plus-X with old silent movie titles.

I did one at a museum years ago in TRI-X using a polarizer to prevent overexposure, and the graininess certainly added to the old time feel. Generally speaking though, I just like the way Plus-X looks.

The anti-camera mindset that exists around active railroads these days makes filming at the museums a much happier alternative.
TomFoolery

Post by TomFoolery »

The anti-camera mindset that exists around active railroads these days makes filming at the museums a much happier alternative
i bet! i shoot a lot of footage in and around the Detroit People Mover, and catch s@#t from people all the time. and the funny thing is i usually don't even want anyone in the shot, which is nice seeing as hardly anyone rides it. it is basically a 3.5 mile loop around the Detroit downtown busness district. most people don't mind, but i've had city workers, homeless, and 2 high-strong (i.e. pissed) females just last week question me. After i tell them my motives, "just making an expiremental documentary, you were not in the shot," they usually just think i'm weird and leave me be. but the problem is that this has sometimes broken up a shot, or at the least broke the mindset i was in.
All that is, is light.
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

However,

The opposite thing is that people visiting railroad museums are there to have a good time and often wave to the guy with the "video" camera.

This runs directly counter to my philosophy of the camera being a fly on the wall and has led me to doing many shots carefully hidden behind trees and other hiding places!

I also love it when someone sees me with the movie camera, and walks up to me and says "Hey, take my picture!"

It's interesting, someone local was recently hassled by the Metropolitan Transit Authority Police for snapping stills around the Long Island Rail Road. They were told that "Taking pictures of the trains is illegal." and had to stop or their gear would be confiscated and they would be arrested. Meanwhile it turns out that the MTA's own website says it's legal to photograph. The only provision is if you use tripods and lighting gear you need prior approval. (safety issue).
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

I do. I am fortunate in having a reasonable mainline, reasonable scenery and two preserved railways nearby.

One, the Keighley and Worth most of you have probaly seen in some film or other. Not always of the Railway Children variety. Keigley station has a canopied roof and is curved so shots along the platform do not have to show the dark satanic mills (honest, they are there) so it has even been used for foreign parts.

The other, the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway is a smaller affair, but easier to film. I have actually volunteered and now fix and clean coaches (cars) mid week with other early pensioners.

When the suns comes out a bit more often I am hoping to take a few more feet of film.

Efforts to date, of railway films, can be seen on my website. Includes:

Narrow gauge
Mono rail
Electric
Diesel
Steam

Anoraks of the world unite :lol:
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Re: Filming railways?

Post by S8 Booster »

tim wrote:Who films railways in S8? In which format?
Anything particular you look for ?

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
tim

Post by tim »

Apart from filming anything interesting, I am primarily engaged in recording the railways of Norfolk, UK. Here we still have lines signalled by semaphore signals, operated from traditional signal boxes, with manual, gated level crossings - and OIL lamps everywhere.

One line was converted to remote operation 5 years ago, but I recorded it and the transition on film. Two others are now threatened. These I am filming in scope - a great format both for railways and for the flat Norfolk landscape.
tim

Post by tim »

Is that all of us?

30 year old S8 rail film (not steam era) makes lots of money on ebay now. If this is all of us filming, guess what our footage will be worth in 30 years time :D.

Perhaps I'd better take out more insurance :evil: .
Splee

Post by Splee »

I've shot the Thames Ditton Miniature Railway and the Bluebell Railway on K40, and also some mainline stuff on K40 and Quarzchrome. I recently went to the Uckfield line on the last day of old trains operating, and came across someone with a lovely Arriflex 16mm camera.

I hope to shoot some steam with Tri-X at some point soon.

Lee
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

There is a 100% genuine steam engine train museum railway near me which I have allways wanted to shoot. However, seeing the (bad) films of my fellow club members from the same object has not encouraged me to "attack" it yet :-)

http://www.njk.no/kroderbanen/article.p ... 004&Cat=66
http://www.njk.no/kroeder/
http://www.njk.no/

It korresponds with a passenger boat over a big lake to resemble the original travel route of the time.

I have found the project too big to initiate it yet.

Another "project" I wish to shoot (I ran out of film on my last 60m cart due to bad "accounting") in neighbouring Sweden is a famous canal combined with a retour trip on an old veteran train. The sound and "shake" of this train alone would been fab not to mention the witty "chauffeur" . "I hope they remembered to close the bridge over the canal around next bend...." Requires sound recording.

Details: Akvedukten i HÃ¥verud

This lock system has 29 wickets all together.

Next time though,.....

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

Hello, after a long time away, works computor now routes me thru a firewall, so i can no longer get onto this forum. However, i will make regular visits to the library.
I shoot local history and railways on super 8 and 16mm, and that was me with the arri on the uckfield line. Have been shooting railways since the mid eighties on super 8 and on 16mm from around 92. k40 on super 8 and k25 on 16mm. Now down to my last couple of rolls of 16mm k25. i started using 16mm k40 last year to preserve my stocks of k25. i am not happy with 16mm k40, it is simply lacks the colour of k25 and seems to always look hazy. regards Andy
Splee

Post by Splee »

Hello again, Andy! How did the Uckfield film turn out? I'd love to see it.

I got some nice slides.

Lee
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

Hi, shot it on 7245 vision, its been processed, will probably get it telecine later this year.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

I've always been drawn to historic industrial areas, Portland has great old industrial tracks along the river. uploaded some stills from the WP, here's a link to a K-40 shot. the following 2 in the gallery are my freind Jonnes jumping a moving train on Ektachrome.

http://www.8mm.filmshooting.com/scripts ... rames/trk2