Help on buying a camera

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

sebastian

Help on buying a camera

Post by sebastian »

I already graduated from film school and I was looking forward to buying a super 8 mm camera, the problem is there are so many to choose from... I have experience with 16mm cameras, so i was looking for a good 8mm camera with various features and that is not that expensive (as a Beaulieu), but that has variable shutter degree’s, time laps, time intervals, and various fps positions. . I would really appreciate if you could give me some ideas on witch camera to purchase, and were I could buy it with no surprises.
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

What is your price range? Now that you have mentioned the features you want, are you particular with the camera reliability or glass quality?

super8man

Post by super8man »

Have a view of my website - I have features on a wide range of cameras that should give you some options!

Cheers,
m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
sebastian

Post by sebastian »

I have like a 300 dollar budget. I want a really reliable camera, that is quite pro…

I’ve checked things out on e bay and on various pages, and I sort of like the Nizo cameras… but I really want the camera to have a lot of features, including variable shutter, various fps modes, time laps, and time intervals.
christoph

Post by christoph »

sebastian wrote:I have like a 300 dollar budget. I want a really reliable camera, that is quite pro…

I’ve checked things out on e bay and on various pages, and I sort of like the Nizo cameras… but I really want the camera to have a lot of features, including variable shutter, various fps modes, time laps, and time intervals.
sounds like a nizo 801 or Nizo Professional to me... they are a bit loud though. if you need a quiet camera, the 4080/6080 would be an option (no variable shutter) or the canon 1014xl-s ... both of those are bit limited on intervals though, but they are better in low light than the 801/pro

++ christoph ++
rollemfilm

Post by rollemfilm »

Canon 814E or a 1014E...no auto timer for stop motion but a great cameras.

You might look at a Bolex H16 non-reflex or a Filmo DR if you want a great cheap 16mm. You would have to use prime lenses no (professional) zoom lens would be available at that price.
sound mixer
sebastian

Post by sebastian »

Where can I find a reliable store or person to buy these cameras from??? I’m kind of afraid to buy a camera on e bay because there not guaranteed.
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

I agree with Christoph. I just did a side-by-side test with the 814 (NOT XLS) and a Nizo 801 macro, and I think the lens on the Nizo is a little better. I hear the XLS is better than either, but that'll probably put it over $300.

There is no guarantee on eBay, but most sellers with high scores are usually honest and they'll tell you the condition of the camera. Of course the prices go higher based on the seller's reputation.
sebastian

Post by sebastian »

how about a Nizo 6080

is taht the best nizo camera ever built?

witch is every super 8mm dream camera?
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

i'm not suggesting ebay but here's an example of a fine camera in your price range (at the moment) i was able to get one for $350 after shipping, they have been going for $400-$500 lately. anyway, incredible optics. 1,9,18,24,36 frames per sec. 150-220 degree variable shutter. 1,5,20,and 60 sec built in timelapse. fades, exposure lock. does not have lapse disolve or super imposition features.

the canon 1014E can be had for about $200. 70mm zoom, lapse disolves, 54fps slomo are some of the highlights of this camera. interval timer E plug in required for timelapse (hard to find)

i'm not too familiar with the Nizo but think i have seen models with built in timelapse and 54fps slow motion.
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

sebastian wrote:how about a Nizo 6080

is taht the best nizo camera ever built?
Well...it depends on your purposes. But I think the Nizo Professional is probably a better camera because it has the best lens of all the Nizos. But if you're looking for a quiet camera, then I suppose the 6080 is better (some people on this forum prefer the 4080).

One other special feature of the 801 Macro and Professional is a modified auto-bulb for time lapse photography (someone here help me with what this thing is actually called).

There are two automatic bulb features on the 801 Macro and Professional. One of them sets the camera to advance the film as fast as possible based on available light. This feature is also found on the 6080. But a second automatic bulb feature opens the shutter for as long as necessary based on available light. This allows you to film blurry perfectly exposed time-lapse in VERY low light. That means you can get beautiful fine-grained Kodachrome pictures of cars with streaking lights, or club/party shots with great light effects. (Someone correct me if the 6080 actually does have this feature -- I thought it didn't).

The 6080 however has more flexible fps rates and better lap dissolve features. And of course sound capabilities, if you can find the film.

If you were rich, I'd say buy both. But if your budget is $300, I would say go for the Professional because of its better lens.
filmbuff

Post by filmbuff »

kentbulza wrote: One other special feature of the 801 Macro and Professional is a modified auto-bulb for time lapse photography (someone here help me with what this thing is actually called).
Don't forget that the 481 macro and 561 macro have the same feature set but with smaller zooms. They can be had pretty cheap if you look around.
rollemfilm

Post by rollemfilm »

Duall Camera sells recondition super 8 cameras. You'll pay extra but you get the guarantee:

http://www.duallcamera.com
sound mixer
Ultrazero

Post by Ultrazero »

here's one on ebay from a reliable seller.

Me! :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3810604946
greenplastic79

back up camera

Post by greenplastic79 »

This is a great flashlight that also has super 8 filming capacities:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 39054&rd=1

If you're looking for a Nizo, you can find a lot of information and pictures at http://www.ebay.de and type Nizo into the search.

While you guys are making recommendations, I was wondering what would be a good 2nd camera to have. I have a Nizo S800 and have been getting good results outside, but I'm worried about filming inside. The little silver monster is a bit loud. I'm thinking names like Minolta, Chinon, and Sankyo. Something with an XL shutter and built in sound (I assume most cameras that used to record sound aren't especially loud.) I actually don't want another big built in lens because I plan to mess around with some anamorphic lenses.

Any feedback would be appreciated. And does anyone know what Andreas is up to? He's been AWOL for about a week.
Last edited by greenplastic79 on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.