Cheapest K40 and PK-59 mailers?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Fifth Beatle

Cheapest K40 and PK-59 mailers?

Post by Fifth Beatle »

So far the cheapest I have found (for us in the USA) is $9.18 USD for K40 and $5.50 USD for the mailers. Can anyone tell me if it is lower somewhere else? I enjoy finding bargains.
~5B
P.S. For the prices listed above, I can make a half hour movie for 150 bucks. ;)
Cranium

Post by Cranium »

Hmmmm... I'd like to see that! ;)
jessh

Post by jessh »

where are you getting these prices?
Fifth Beatle

Post by Fifth Beatle »

For the mailer:

Click on this link

For the film:

Click on this link

However, you might note that on the film, I got cartridges in the "range" of the Jitter serial numbers. For me, personally, I don't mind, especially at that price. You could call ahead and ask them to give you serial numbers of what is in stock before you order... If they don't have any jitter-free yet, then I guess you would still need to buy from Kodak.

That's why I posted this: I was trying to get a feel for where U.S. S-8 enthusiasts were buying.

Thanks!
~5B
jessh

Post by jessh »

how much is shipping and handling to kodak and back when using those mailers? how much is the shippping and handling when ordering the film and mailers from them? basically how much is it for a roll of K40 including processing and all necessary shipping/handling charges :-)

sorry I can't be of more help to you but I haven't shot much super8 yet so haven't really had time to look around for the cheapest yet.

~Jess
cameraguy

Post by cameraguy »

I have ordered the mailers from Adorama a few times. Shipping is a flat $7 or so. So you best order a bunch to water it down.

Shipping costs to Kodak when using a mailer is simply a one way postage cost to New Jersey. For me it's 74 cents. There is no addtional shipping to that, it just comes back to your mailbox in about two weeks. You can combine multiple mailers together to save on shipping if you are sending in a bunch at once.
Fifth Beatle

Post by Fifth Beatle »

Jessh -

Well, shipping the mailers cost me $8.35 via UPS. Basically, it varies as to where you live in the U.S. I noticed that you can get up to 30 of those little buggers and the shipping is still the same.

Once you get the mailers, you put 2 or 3 stamps on them and send them off with your exposed film inside. The lab does the rest, including sending the film back to you. So, postage is about $1.02

The film cost $12.95 to ship, and I'm sure it probably works the same way: you're probably charged by how many they can cram in a box. (I'd say about 15 to 18 ).

So, you're asking how much would one cartridge be, and one mailer, plus shipping for both, and postage to have it developed? $37 dollars and 9 cents. Not exactly a bargain. But...if you buy the stuff in BULK - you've found yourself a gold mine(!)
~5B
supa_ate_sixteen

Post by supa_ate_sixteen »

Hey guys and gals ( are there any Super 8 femmes in the house? )

I purchase my film direct from the Kodak Hollywood branch in California. I send them a copy of my student ID and they sell me K40 for about $8.50 a roll. Send this film to Dwaynes in Kansas for $9 a roll in processing. I have mystuff shipped there and back is about $6 and the same for up to 5 rolls. In total, I'm only paying about $20 for a roll processed and all. Add $15 for Roger's transfer service and I get a roll of K40 to video for about $35. I thought the PK-59 mailers were the way to go to cut cost but apparantly when you factor in the shipping (and if you live in the US)Dwaynes seems to be the cheaper way to go. Am I wrong?
ulrichsd

Post by ulrichsd »

I buy my film firectly from kodak, which ends up being about $12 a roll with s&h. I'd probably use pk-59 mailers if I was working on a project that used a lot of film. For now I just take my film to Walmart's overnight. It only costs $4.95 USD and you get the film back in 1-2 weeks. If you actually look on the flip book they have advertising their services it does list movie film for $4.95, but don't ask the people who work there because they will have no idea what you are talking about. I've heard that they just ship to Dwayne's anyway and it costs less than half as much. They only do kodachrome.

Good luck,
Scott
Fifth Beatle

Post by Fifth Beatle »

Hmm..so if I were to break out the trusty student ID...and visit my local Wal-Mart, I might be able to find the best of both worlds.
~5B
supa_ate_sixteen

I dont think the Student ID will get you anywhere as far as processing is concerned. I think it will only get you a discount as far as ordering is concerned. Call 1-800-621-3456. Fax em your copy of a student ID and your in!
Fifth Beatle

Post by Fifth Beatle »

OK, I see what you mean. Well, I wonder if using my student ID at Kodak will still work with this bit of news:

Click on this link

~5B
jessh

Post by jessh »

I believe the student discount is 20% on all film stock (atleast super 8), I dont know how it applies to film w/mailers though. I still really need to call them.

So has anyone had any problems with using wal mart to develop kodachrome? are there any disdvantages to using dwaynes (specifically through walmart) over kodak? Seems like a nice cheap way of doing it.

~Jess
supa_ate_sixteen

Well Beatle I must say that the 13.31 deal for stock and processing is hard to beat. Does a student discount apply on top of this price as well? I'm just a little sketchy on the Kodak processing. My precious original flying overseas sounds just a little risky.
jaybird

pk-59

Post by jaybird »

OK, so I just went to Kodak.com and in their store I can get K40 online but when I do a search for the pk-59 mailers it comes up empty. Where is this package deal for 13.31 at?
I'd like to get a dozen or so?
another thing is, if film is so cheap at kodak how are all these places selling the stuff for $35 able to get business. going by the film I got at a yard sale it was bought in the 80's at KMart for $10.88 looks like super8 film hasn't really gone up much.

thanks
Jay