Model Rocket Cam!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Dave Anderson

Model Rocket Cam!

Post by Dave Anderson »

I came across this cool link from down under. Even though it's video related, it still made me think about Roger E, Paul C, and some of you 'techie' guys...

http://holden.customer.netspace.net.au/rocketcam.html

Dave
Dave Anderson
Nick

Post by Nick »

Dave,

Check out this link here if you have not already seen it.. It is a Cineroc, super 8mm rocket cam.

http://www.blastfromthepastrocketry.com/CINEROC.html

Look at some of the quicktimes.

It's all film, no video and very cool. I've tried to find one of these things on ebay and by going to garage sales but no luck yet.

Cheers,

Nick
Dave Anderson

Post by Dave Anderson »

Wow. That's too cool! I was into rockets back in the early - mid 70's, but never remembered seeing anything like that. All I ever saw from Estes was the one that took the 110 film and shot one frame with each flight.

Good luck on your eBay quest!

Dave
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

There were a couple cineroc cameras listed recently. They always go fairly high. I remember seeing a NOS 110 camera rocket in a store just a couple years ago. We had a nose cone camera. You needed to use a gasket punch and make small round circles of film to load into the camera. Rather odd way to do it, but enabled a very lightweight camera to be used. Rather time consuming as you needed to load the film in the dark room. Wasn't an easy black bag maneuver for out in the field. Was a real pain to develop the little circles of film. Easy to lose in the developer solution. Eventually found that a medical forceps could be used to hold the edge of the film for developing. The B/W blow ups of the shots were quite detailed. Timing of the shot was slightly variable by adjusting the spring release and only went off after the nose cone was released with the parachute. The length of the shock cord helped set the timing as well.
Dave Anderson

Post by Dave Anderson »

Yes, there is a cineroc there now. 4 hrs to go and it's already at $60!. I'm more interested in the bullet camera approach. This is all too cool!

Dave
Dave Anderson
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Cool! You guys found this stuff! :D

Yeah I knew about this little one.

I actually thought about posting about it in "the smallest s8 cam" thread...

It shot Super8 and it lasted for some 30 seconds, had a small special load

the framerate was about 30fps if i remember correctly

There are a couple of telecined Cineroc footage floating, I think there are actually some links on that page above (no time to check, i need to sleep)
csven

Post by csven »

y'know, it'd be interesting if someone took an R/C helo and converted it to carry a camera (i suppose someone has). might go over better than shooting off a rocket over a metropolitan area to get those cool overhead shots... assuming you could do the R/C without radio interference nowadays.
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

Dave Anderson wrote:Yes, there is a cineroc there now. 4 hrs to go and it's already at $60!. I'm more interested in the bullet camera approach. This is all too cool! Dave
That's the Camroc camera, takes individual pictures. The same as the one we had that took the little round photos. If you got the timing off, the picture would be blurry since the nose cone was already swinging at the end of the parachute cord when it snapped the photo. The link to the wireless camera setup is way cool. 8) Some times technology has it's advantages. Would like to get the mechanism from a small 8mm camera to run inside a rocket housing. Could hopefully get a whole flight on 25feet of 8mm film. The instamatic 110 camera rockets seem to be plentiful on ebay. The paranoid government has banned the largest of model rocket motors, so now you need to get reloadable systems if you wish to fire up a heavy payload. I miss my really big disposable estes rocket engines. :(
Alex

Post by Alex »

Did anyone check out their schedule flying schedule?

Might be good to make contact.

http://www.uroc.org/html/events.shtml
paulcotto

Post by paulcotto »

WOW! sound and everything. I would think a Fujica P2 single-8 could be striped down to the bare essential and made to fit in a rocket. I would use a mirror to point the lens toward the ground so the camera could be oriented vertically.

Wish I had the time...
Paul Cotto
Don't worry about equipment so much and make your movie!