Is there a story behind your user name?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Carlos 8mm

Post by Carlos 8mm »

Nothing special to say.

Maybe because our family's first cine camera was an old Mamiya 8 JE, so Dad's first home movies was filmed in 8mm.
My new avatar is an extract of those old films. That's me in 1971! O:)

Carlos.
FilmIs4Ever

Post by FilmIs4Ever »

DP
Last edited by FilmIs4Ever on Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
FilmIs4Ever

Post by FilmIs4Ever »

I don't know what my name really means. I just kinda put letters and numbers together and got "FilmIs4Ever." Can anyone help me here? :wink:
cmykpro

Post by cmykpro »

Hello:

I'm a still photographer at a newspaper. My friend and co-worker, Phil, gave me the name one day.
He said, "So are you going to sign in as, like, "cmykpro" or something?"
And I said, "Uhhh, yeah, sure! That's the ticket!"

It stands for:
C--Cyan
M--Magenta
Y--Yellow
K--blacK

Which are the four colors of ink they use to make the color photos on the printing press at the newspaper. And the "pro" is self explanatory.
So it's actually antithetical to Super 8 filmmaking, but what do you want from me. I'm just trying to stay consistent. And on eBay I go by my real name, jeffbroddle. Cheers.
rollemfilm

Post by rollemfilm »

Got the name from the utterances of old school directors yelling ROLLEM!
I suppose this is some twisted Hollywood thing I saw on late night TV in 1960's...
sound mixer
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

Carlos 8mm wrote: That's me in 1971! O:)

Carlos.
That's cool. My dad shot a lot of 8mm back in the day when he was a glider pilot, and has since gotten rid of his films(bummer).
For me, my name started when I tried to think of a name for my company in 1999. As some of you may know I'm Canadian. A few years ago, I originally thought of videoworks. I eventually decided to incorporate some of my mother's German side and I came up with vidwerk.

Simon.
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

Regular8mm film was what I used to shoot starting in 1958-9(?). I had a paper route and saw an ad for a complete movie outfit and bought it. My step dad financed it and I paid it off with my earnings.
I went on to art school and eventually decades later became an art teacher. Kids like to draw cartoons and so I had to teach them how and that led to animation. Regular 8mm film cameras often have single frame triggers like my old Bell & Howell 252 camera had so I got another one and started filming kids cartoons, cut out animations, flip books, strobes and so on. Pretty soon I was over my head promoting the old format, researching old Moviemaker magazines, and collecting movie cameras. Then I had to learn how to use the web and bought the name for my web site which I've since dropped and lost the rights to. It was a good place to brain dump onto. Now I have 16mmoviemaking.com because I can still see the frames unlike the smaller format, bifocals ya know.
Now I wish I'd just gotten a strange name instead of that pretentious one for making up a film company. Like, GreenDot or PurpleDrip or LongNeck Productions Co Inc? :?: :?:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Splee wrote:Mine is a school nickname, coined by a friend who went through a strange phase of sticking the letters "Sp" on the front of everyone's names.

Lee (aka Splee, Spleen or Spleener)

That is just fall down funny. (in a very obxnoxious kind of way) I could imagine this kid going around adding the SP sound to the front of everyone's name and yelling it out loud. I'm curious as to if you know what became of this person.
jumar

Post by jumar »

I used to be completely absorbed in rock climbing. Jumar is a climbing term, but I've always thought is sounded like a real name.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Nothing very fancy about my nickname, but I got the name at my first fulltime job. I was working as a support consultant for an Internet Provider in Oslo and needed a Unix logon name that contained some letters from my real name: awand = Andreas Widerøe ANDersen. Some of my old collegues still call me awand :D .

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

Desert in Oman
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
marc

Post by marc »

Marc- first name on my birth certificate, given at birth, birth name, and the like, etc. Since my grandparents were Italian, I like to refer to it as the Italian American version of Marco. This is also the proper spelling for Mark in the French language. ( I'm sorry, maybe that was too much information!)
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

there is a story behind my user name; not a private one, but one common to all the spanish pepes. pepe is a short for josé. the origin of this peculiar shortenning is the bible. in the first spanish version, each time that joseph, the virgin's husband (josé in spanish) was mentioned, the translators would add "padre putativo", putative father in spanish between brackets, then, to spare letters p.p., hence pepe.

p.pe
Carlos 8mm

Post by Carlos 8mm »

Pepe,
really I didn't know why in Spain the guys named José have the nickname "Pepe" (till now). :wink:

Very interesting history. =D>

BTW,
do you know why the Franciscos are called Pacos and the Antonios
are called Pancho? :-k

Any Spanish here?

Carlos.
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Carlos 8mm wrote: do you know why the Franciscos are called Pacos and the Antonios
are called Pancho? :-k

Any Spanish here?
actualy both paco and pancho are phonetic shorts for francisco. i think it went from francisco to franco (not meaning that bastard that carried it both as first and family name, sorry about the politics) then to pancho and finaly to paco. (no to mention all the diminutives like paquito, paquin, paquillo, paquirrin or paquirri).

p.pe