Elmo TRV-16 Telecine 16mm Transfer Projector

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Dave Anderson

Elmo TRV-16 Telecine 16mm Transfer Projector

Post by Dave Anderson »

Does anyone own one of these? How good are they?

Thanks..

Dave
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Hi, Dave!

I've got one that I am repairing for someone and I also worked for a company that kept one around. The idea is good but they came out a long time ago and used the first generation CCD pickups from about 1980 or so. A whopping 230 lines of resolution with a lot of smear and bleed. A contemporary home security camera would produce better color and resolution now than the camera the TRV units have built in. The TRV units also crop the image considerably, compared to a lot of standard projectors. They do synch to video, though, so they're good for pulling sound tracks from films for use with a WorkPrinter-16 transfer. Other than that, placing a TRV unit on top of a pile of papers will efficiently keep them from blowing around in the breeze.
Dave Anderson

Post by Dave Anderson »

Thanks Roger. I purchased an Elmo http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:BN:US:1 last August. I wonder how the Audio quality would compare between it and the TRV-16?

Thanks

Dave
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Hi, Dave!

Cool old unit. However, is it a telecine with the synchronous motor or is it a conversion from a standard projector with a 5 bladed shutter added. It says it has the cogged belt so I'm inclined to believe it's the real deal and will run in synch with line current. Should make transferring audio a breeze. Audio should be superb.

Roger
Dave Anderson

Post by Dave Anderson »

Hi Roger,

To my knowledge, it hasn't been modified, so it's the real deal. I just wanted to make sure that the TRV unit isn't better for transferring audio...

BTW, what did you say the speed adjustment in Premiere is to restore perfect sync? 99.5%? Does that hold true for both optical/magnetic audio?

Thanks

Dave
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

-.1%