Your Experiences Using Expired B/W Film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

7OSE9

Re: Your Experiences Using Expired B/W Film

Post by 7OSE9 »

Andrew, on Lealar's channel, which ones are shot with expired films?
There are also many good films, also as a subject and form, as well as excellent scans!

I have a question for everyone: have you ever tried Soviet emulsions? B&w or color. Not from the DDR like the Orwo.
Do you know what development processes they use? It's true that ALL color emulsions used a special development (called "cold", I read), typical or Iron Curtain, and that none had, for example, the E6?
I know some labs that can develop them, but the costs and times are high, I would like to know if there was a brand that could be developed well at home too.
studiocarter2

Re: Your Experiences Using Expired B/W Film

Post by studiocarter2 »

Silverdream wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:29 pm Studiocarter,
I will process them in a spiral tank and would like to do reversal to positive. I understand that leaving it negative can be more successful with very old film.
I watched a lot of your Utube samples. Interesting and detailed. Your projector is quite noisy though.
When you say D-76 gives soft reverses, do you mean low contrast or low picture sharpness?
D-76 is lower contrast unless measures are taken, heat, agitation... Reversing gives the greater sharpness, though with old film it might be harder to do? I use new film now.
Michael