Super 8 on Globe Trekker?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

etimh

Super 8 on Globe Trekker?

Post by etimh »

I am a huge fan of the PBS show Globe Trekker (I think it may be called "Pilot Guides" in other countries). Anyway, if you're familiar with the show, you know how they utilize this production design that edits together regular video footage with some B-camera coverage that seems to be small-format (Super 8?) film footage.

My question is for working commercial filmmakers/videographers here on the forum--is this real film they are shooting and editing in or is it "film-look" effects on the video footage? I've contacted the producers of the show and have not gotten any adequate responses back. Does anybody have info on the production of this show or can you shed some light on the production techniques used?

Thanks in advance.

Tim
heel_e

Post by heel_e »

I saw what they were doing and e mailed the production company about a year ago about the very same question. The contact confirmed that they did indeed were using Super 8 for those sequences and not using a film look process. The company I recall is English and they were transferring in Switzerland. I no longer have the e mail contact and address, but that was the jist.

Hope this helps

Tim
akka10

Post by akka10 »

I actually work at PBS and can confirm it is Super 8mm. I am a huge fan of this show and see it constantly here. They use the medium really well in conjunction with video footage. It gives a cool 'vacation home movie' look. Some of the timelapse they shoot is great also. I wonder what camera/stock they use?
BK

Post by BK »

I believe they use negative stocks, and it looks as though there are post processing to make it look more grainy and shakey.

Caught a quick glimpse of one of the hosts holding a Canon 814XL-S or 1014 XL-S in one of the older programs.

Bill
etimh

Post by etimh »

Hey thank you guys! I appreciate the responses.

I'm thinking of writing a piece on the use of Super 8 in recent media productions and this is a great example. Now if I can just get the producers to get back to me maybe I can get an interview.

Thanks again.

Tim
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

I saw a nizo super 8 camera in the hands of the australian guy in Africa.
Good idea, I like it.
etimh

Post by etimh »

Just a final note on this topic:

Here is the response I got from the Globe Trekker representative on their web board. Not much revealing technical info, but certainly a confirmation of what we assumed--that Super 8 is definitely in effect.

Nobody laugh at the "production tips" included in the response, they came free with the answer to my simple question about the use of Super 8 on the show. :wink:

"The grainy, techni-color appearance film you see cut into Globe Trekker, particularly during action sequences, is real life, bonafide Super 8 film! The camera person will shoot certain bits of footage onto super 8 for the authentic travel film experience. Super 8 is a silent visual only format, so needs to be blended with regular footage using audio or with a soundtrack. For those who've used Super 8 you'll know it's a very expensive way to film because of the cost of film, and as it's silent, it's best to use Super 8 sparingly..."

The show really is cool, everyone should check it out. Justine Shapiro absolutely rules my world. 8)

Tim
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Another post script...

Just purchased a Canon 1014 XL-S at my local camera fair (flea market). It's got 'Pilot Productions' Bar Code, and inventory Labels on it. The camera looks like it's been around the world a few times. Loads of scratches and dents, the kind I've got on my old nikon slr's, lenses and vivitars, from bouncing around inside a camera bag... but still works...came with charged batteries and 67mm 1A lens filter, and a set of working Nizo's: a 481 Macro, a Nizo 561, and a Nizo 2056.

Gianni
etimh

Post by etimh »

gianni1 wrote:Another post script...

Just purchased a Canon 1014 XL-S at my local camera fair (flea market). It's got 'Pilot Productions' Bar Code, and inventory Labels on it. The camera looks like it's been around the world a few times.
Wow, that is cool--a real Pilot Guides/Globe Trekker artifact! In the realm of anthropological research, that would be a true "evidentiary find." :D

I'm interested because as I mentioned I'm doing research on the use of Super 8 in the Globe Trekker series, and have only had sporadic contact and assistance from Pilot. Here is the last bit of info that I got:

"The cameras we use for filming Globe Trekker are:

MAIN FILMING CAMERA - SONY DIGIBETA 970 AND 790

SUPER 8 CAMERA – CANON 1014

These are professional cameras, so expect a professional price tag if you're planning on getting one!"

Don't know much about the video cameras but I shot back for clarification on the Canon--is it a 1014 or 1014XL-S (as BK mentioned that he saw an XL-S on one of the episodes). They probably think I'm a weirdo over there, but I tried to explain that these things matter... :wink:

Gianni, would you mind sending me some digipics of those Pilot Productions barcodes/labels etc. on the camera? If you have the opportunity and time? I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Tim
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

Pilot productions in the UK has something like 4 shows that are all essentially the same. Lonely Planet, Globe Trekkers, Pilot Guides and a fourth which I can't remember. All of the shows have super 8 as a portion of their B-roll. Over the years I noticed the ratio of the super 8 in these shows has increased as well as more experimentation (ie - timelapse).
I did research on this a while ago, and I remember reading somewhere that they using vision200T.

vidwerk.
alan doyle

lonely planet tv programme...

Post by alan doyle »

i was the bozo, that gave these cheapskates at pilot productions,the idea to shoot super 8....
i had been involved in a bbc manchester programme called rough guides to the world...who used super 8 for general views..
i had a meeting with some silly women,who turned out to be the series editor of a new travel programme at pilot...
she said we would never use s8 because the qualty was no good..
she then viewed some of my stuff,and loved it...
but i did not get the gig..too expensive.
the directors and the cameramen would shoot,water pistol style squirt,squirt...super 8 squirtyvision.
the early films would of been on things like nizo 156 or old canon 814..
later they got better gear.
i hired my eumig nautica on a couple of shoots...

the company pilot used to make a lot of money selling stock footage as well.
each director could use reversal colour or super 8 surveilance 7293 neg stock...never more than 20 rolls.
they used to screw up, exposure a lot,so towards the end ,they stuck to neg film.

Re: Super 8 on Globe Trekker?

Post by quantumreverberation »

The silver boxy camera used on Globe Trekker is a BRAUN NIZO 801 MACRO Super 8.
About $250 on ebay as of early 2018.
Very cool looking camera but, really, why waste money on old technology when new technology can duplicate the retro super 8 film look!
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Quantumreverberation asked: "...why waste money on old technology when new technology can duplicate the retro super 8 film look!"

Analog is cool, that's why. (to some people anyway)

The Return of Low-tech Media as Art https://mcluhangalaxy.wordpress.com/201 ... ia-as-art/

Gianni B-)
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Re: lonely planet tv programme...

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

alan doyle wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:34 am i was the bozo, that gave these cheapskates at pilot productions,the idea to shoot super 8....
i had been involved in a bbc manchester programme called rough guides to the world...who used super 8 for general views..
i had a meeting with some silly women,who turned out to be the series editor of a new travel programme at pilot...
she said we would never use s8 because the qualty was no good..
she then viewed some of my stuff,and loved it...
but i did not get the gig..too expensive.
the directors and the cameramen would shoot,water pistol style squirt,squirt...super 8 squirtyvision.
the early films would of been on things like nizo 156 or old canon 814..
later they got better gear.
i hired my eumig nautica on a couple of shoots...

the company pilot used to make a lot of money selling stock footage as well.
each director could use reversal colour or super 8 surveilance 7293 neg stock...never more than 20 rolls.
they used to screw up, exposure a lot,so towards the end ,they stuck to neg film.

Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

quantumreverberation wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 am The silver boxy camera used on Globe Trekker is a BRAUN NIZO 801 MACRO Super 8.
About $250 on ebay as of early 2018.
Very cool looking camera but, really, why waste money on old technology when new technology can duplicate the retro super 8 film look!
Why join a Small gauge film forum if you can do all this on your i phone ?

This is just Rude !
Because its not film thats why .