Film storage

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

camera8mm

Film storage

Post by camera8mm »

Does anyone make film storage boxes or units for multiple 50' foorage reels with or without boxes? Cardboard boxes don't hold up. I know brumgarter and other companies made storage chests but they were more for 200' reels.
BAC

Re: Film storage

Post by BAC »

I have a few storage books that are made of thin plastic. They look like books but when you open it they have holes that the 50' reels press into, they are quite cheap construction. Otherwise you can just stack them in a cardboard box. Most of the time I consolidate film onto larger reels leaving a short section of white leader to separate them in case I ever want to separate one from the reel. You can write the title of each one on the leader with a marker pen.
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

is there any issue with plastics and cardboard with regards to preservation? I was always under the impression that film should be stored horizontally in metal cans with minimal plastics or packing materials
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

The conditions you store them is something to consider. Stick to a dry area indoors that doesn't get too hot or humid. I've come across films stored in attics, barns, garage rafters, damp basements ect... with significant degradation. I've also seen rust formed in old metal cans and reels. I just buy the plastic 400ft vented cans and plastic reels for archiving, 2 pieces of tape on opposite sides. Stack em horizontal on a shelf.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
BAC

Post by BAC »

I think some people prefer cardboard boxes because they let more air circulate around the film to help prevent VS.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

There's a white paper somewhere about best practices but be careful with metal cans for long term storage because the film needs to breathe and they can be close to airtight. Our local lab always used pizza type cardboard boxes because they prevent harmful chemical buildup from aging film.

https://www.archives.gov/preservation/f ... orage.html

Here's what the "Film Forever" site says...
The film should be stored in clean archival plastic, archivally treated metal cans, or new archival cardboard boxes. It is important that the can or box is not airtight, and should not be sealed unless stored in freezer. A closed can is fine, and will not be airtight. However, a can that is taped shut is not fine. Cold storage is the best for the chemical stability of the film and is discussed in the following sections. Films should be stored tails-out so you will have to rewind them before projecting. You should always inspect the film before projecting.

The cans should be stored flat (horizontally), with nothing heavy stacked on top that would weigh down the lids and not allow air to circulate into the cans. It is acceptable to stack the cans on each other, but store nitrate cans only 2 high.
doug

Post by doug »

camera8mm wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:55 am Does anyone make film storage boxes or units for multiple 50' foorage reels with or without boxes? Cardboard boxes don't hold up. I know brumgarter and other companies made storage chests but they were more for 200' reels.
I have a plastic one if you still need it. Holds 12 reels. £4 + shipping.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co