Universal now offering 2K and Audio modules!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tscan

Re: Universal now offering 2K and Audio modules!

Post by Tscan »

Andreas Wideroe wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:04 pm Out of curiosity, do you have any plans to add PTRs to your Retro (or future) scanners?

/Andreas
The Retro 8 had a place for such add ons. I'd be happy with any PTR setup if I could do it at a reasonaw cost
Reborn member since Sept 2003
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

MovieStuff wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 pm
studiocarter2 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:24 pm Since the machine does slides, could it do 100 foot rolls of 35mm film? Hand cranked 35mm film cameras seem to be popular. I know I want one of the old ones that hold 100 ft rolls. Eyemo.
We have a back burner project of building a 35mm cine gate but it's admittedly a slow process because it has to work for all 35mm formats (4 perf, 3 perf, 2 perf, VistaVision, etc) or it's not worth making and selling. Also, we will make absolutely zero profit on it because the number of expected sales will never offset the cost of R&D. But, still, we forge ahead. We are also working on a gate for strip film, such as 35mm still camera negs, which could possibly work for a 100 foot roll of 35mm cine film. You could capture each frame manually and then use stabilization software to register the sprocket holes.
I ask because Someone on https://www.facebook.com/groups/6001390 ... 1/?fref=ts the Facebook/ P30 group shot 35mm strip film in an old hand crank camera and made a video. Scroll down. It shows a race car.
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Nice work Roger placing an order asap on those sensor/light/ sound thing - brilliant 😎👍
Nate Williams

Post by Nate Williams »

Sorry for the offtopic post, but stay safe Roger! Thinking of you while Harvey rolls through.
Stevelook2

Post by Stevelook2 »

What Nate says

Stay safe you all.

Hoping it passes quickly and safely.
Flash of Insight

Post by Flash of Insight »

MovieStuff wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:31 pm (...)people on a budget looking at a future 2K upgrade will often start with the UltraLite kit. Then later they can simply purchase the 2K camera kit when the need/budget allows.
I'm one of those who must stage their purchases. Probably the RetroSync first, then the light, then the camera.

I'll be contacting Roger for the UV emitters. I've currently got several 400' reels of 8mm where there's a lot of places where the film is light-struck on the perforation side.
prtprt

Post by prtprt »

Your new products looks really great, Roger.

One question: You say about the new UV emitters: "This makes dialing in the sensor levels for clear edge film or film with clear patches (like R8) much easier."

Does this mean that it is possible to find a sensor level that is OK for all types of film? I am thinking of if I have a large roll of different sorts of films spliced together, and if it is possible to run through that roll without having to keep an eye on the sensor level all the time?

Charlie
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

prtprt wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:01 pm Your new products looks really great, Roger.

One question: You say about the new UV emitters: "This makes dialing in the sensor levels for clear edge film or film with clear patches (like R8) much easier."

Does this mean that it is possible to find a sensor level that is OK for all types of film? I am thinking of if I have a large roll of different sorts of films spliced together, and if it is possible to run through that roll without having to keep an eye on the sensor level all the time?

Charlie
It certainly makes it more forgiving with intermixed film types but, for best results, you will still need to dial in each type of film. The UV emitters help with clear film because UV has difficulty penetrating some types of plastic. This also makes for a shorter dial-in range on the sensor dial, which is a good thing. The dial is essentially a brightness control for the emitters. And, like any light source, the size of the beam will swell and contract as you change the beam's brightness. Because the UV emitters don't require as much adjustment, the beam stays a more uniform size which, in turn, reduces "creep" in the frameline when dealing with film that has clear-patch image contamination in the sprocket hole area.

As an aside, the software has a new graphics library which can find rectangles (such as sprocket holes) within a given field. We hope to issue a version of the software later that will allow for pixel-based registration of the image during export. Combined with the new UV emitters, this should really make the image rock solid.

Roger
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Havent got the hardware upgrade yet- but the software upgrade is brilliant- so anyone with a universal it is worth getting the software upgrade - the grey edge now makes framing easyier - it now has live view for focus - also export has heaps of new options- like highlighting a bunch of clips to export instead of one at a time - exporting Avi is a win especially if your clients want a USB copy-I'm sure there is loads more new features but loving it so far :ymparty:
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I'm sitting back watching a scan right now of a 400ft spool S8 neg I shot in 2014. I've scanned this roll before before with the old software, probably with the Retro 8, but the colors are so much more accurate and so damn good! I adjusted the green and red sliders a tad but nothing drastic. Won't have to do a whole lot of correction later, in fact a whole lot less than before. Still haven't gotten the hardware upgrade, hopefully down the pipe soon.
Reborn member since Sept 2003