Any way to do sync sound?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

c-stand

Any way to do sync sound?

Post by c-stand »

Is there any way to do sync sound with film shot on a Minolta XL-401 and projected on a Sankyo Sound 700? Thanks!
richard p. t.

Re: Any way to do sync sound?

Post by richard p. t. »

Short answer is no I'm afraid.
There could be people suggesting long answers...
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
c-stand

Post by c-stand »

Any way to do sync-sound with a film shot on a Minolta XL-401 and *any* projector? The camera has the sync-pulse out for a flash. I've read that there is some way to use that to facilitate sync-sound, but I do not know how, exactly. If anyone can share knowledge, it would be appreciated!
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Well, with a lot of money you could buy a GS1200 projector which is capable of being slaved to an external pulse track. Not just money but also a lot of fiddling and effort I'm afraid. But there is a sense in which it is theoretically possible.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

This is how we used to it in the olden days.

You would have to get a Super8Sound Recorder which records on super8 fullcoat and modify the projector by adding a reed switch to it.
To edit the film you would need a editing set-up to run the film sound in sync.

Just google "Super8Sound" all in one word and you can get lots of additional information.

Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
JonH

Post by JonH »

Don't know if my response is pertinent, but I capture old Super8 film with a magnetic tape track, and 16mm film with an optical sound track, separately. I then synchronize the audio and video on the editing timeline. I use Moviestuff.tv vintage Workpinters for the video, and regular sound projectors to capture the audio.
Regards,

Jon

WorkPrinter RGB, Velocity HD, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Sony HDR-FX7, Windows XP Pro-32, Grass Valley Edius editing platform.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

There is an expensive way...you can do a film output to 16mm with a company that can create optical soundtracks like videofilmsolutions.com. It's a time-consuming and difficult process but it is possible. You'll have a negative that you can make many prints from.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

I tried using a video camera to record sound while shooting Regular 8mm film in a Bolex. That worked fine. However, further testing with a pocket digital recorder was way easier to use. Just pop the thing into your shirt pocket and there you are. Final Cut Pro syncs it real easy.
Michael
c-stand

Post by c-stand »

studiocarter2 wrote:I tried using a video camera to record sound while shooting Regular 8mm film in a Bolex. That worked fine. However, further testing with a pocket digital recorder was way easier to use. Just pop the thing into your shirt pocket and there you are. Final Cut Pro syncs it real easy.
Michael
Of course, but I don't want to shoot film only to turn it into a video later. I like to shoot film, physically cut and splice film, and then project it using a real projector.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Zoom makes a great little audio recorder that happens to have a video camera attached. This is actually a great solution. You can have a visual reference to match the audio which is extremely useful for film work.

studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Get a 16mm Auricon Sound on Film camera. I had one. It projects in one of the huge Bell & Howell projectors that do optical sound. Editing is done on a Steinbeck flat bed editor with optical sound reader
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AwC5V1ySkY/url]
c-stand

Post by c-stand »

studiocarter2 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:11 pm Get a 16mm Auricon Sound on Film camera. I had one. It projects in one of the huge Bell & Howell projectors that do optical sound. Editing is done on a Steinbeck flat bed editor with optical sound reader
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AwC5V1ySkY/url]
But how did you edit the picture and sound, when the sound was so many frames ahead of the picture it matched with? Or did this camera record the sound and picture in the same position on the film strip?
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

The local film school public access had a 4 reel flatbed editor with an optical sound head. You have to extend shots to allow for the different placement of the sound and then wait after the speaker has finished before ending the take.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I used to do sync sound with S8 in digital form, which still proved difficult due to the camera drift. The only real bet for S8 sound is the new Kodak camera coming out maybe next month, and more in the fall. Crystal sync audio and on board SD recording. I wouldn't waste my time or money on any cumbersome alternatives at this point.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Pj

Post by Pj »

I have filmed sync sound with Super 8 many times, but I have never used a sync cable; https://vimeo.com/3175593. It is pretty easy to sync short clips 15 seconds or shorter in an NLE, with longer clips it's easy to stretch and shrink the audio. If you are not using an NLE and are projecting film you can use something like a Goko RM 5000 sound recording editor, I used to record and edit sound this way in the past with colour reversal. I would edit the visuals separately then would have the edited film sound striped and would finally dub the sound on the film using the editor. The sound would always be recorded separately on a mini disc or sometimes a video camera.

Pav