"In My Image" Super 8 feature film now on youtube

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Scotness

"In My Image" Super 8 feature film now on youtube

Post by Scotness »

I've had it up there as ages as a private listing but I decided to make it public.

Most here will probably remember this - some of you probably even bought the DVD! But we shot this in 2001 mainly on K40 with a Beaulieu 4008 - and with great plane FX by Roger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llf5-m9 ... wNk3TdPQWL

This reminds me we need to get on with the HD remaster Miles - I'll send you an email!! I'd kind of forgotten about it :-\

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
slashmaster

Re: "In My Image" Super 8 feature film now on youtube

Post by slashmaster »

I like what I'm seeing! So you used just one Beaulieu? I've also had the problem of getting a film back from the lab to find a blue streak in it like that. How many cartridges did you use to do this film?
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Well most of the film was on a Beaulieu 4008 - which we had crystal synched at 25fps -- there is about 2 seconds of miniDV in there too (!) - and I don't know what camera Roger used for his plane FX - it was Double 8 I think.

We used about 230 rolls of K40 -- oh to be able to do that now!!!!!!!!

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Scotness wrote:Well most of the film was on a Beaulieu 4008 - which we had crystal synched at 25fps -- there is about 2 seconds of miniDV in there too (!) - and I don't know what camera Roger used for his plane FX - it was Double 8 I think.

We used about 230 rolls of K40 -- oh to be able to do that now!!!!!!!!

Scot
Oh so a little bit of regular 8 and some miniDV to film transfer? What do you keep the sound on? Do you have this film stored on 6 400 footers? Or 3 800 footers?
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Well remember the shooting ratio is a lot higher than the final end product - there's over a dozen 400 foot reels of it - which Miles is transferring to HD right now :-)
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

slashmaster wrote:
Oh so a little bit of regular 8 and some miniDV to film transfer?
I shot the airplane effects on a double Super 8 Canon Scoopic. Beautiful camera. There were some aerial shots and also two foreground miniatures, complete with camera pans. Worked out great.

Roger
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Scotness wrote:Well remember the shooting ratio is a lot higher than the final end product - there's over a dozen 400 foot reels of it - which Miles is transferring to HD right now :-)
So you mean you didn't throw out the stuff you didn't use for what I saw on youtube. You're keeping it so you can always rearrange the film?
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

MovieStuff wrote:
slashmaster wrote:
Oh so a little bit of regular 8 and some miniDV to film transfer?
I shot the airplane effects on a double Super 8 Canon Scoopic. Beautiful camera. There were some aerial shots and also two foreground miniatures, complete with camera pans. Worked out great.

Roger
I'll have to go back and look but that makes for better registration. Doesn't it? :)
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

slashmaster wrote:
Scotness wrote:Well remember the shooting ratio is a lot higher than the final end product - there's over a dozen 400 foot reels of it - which Miles is transferring to HD right now :-)
So you mean you didn't throw out the stuff you didn't use for what I saw on youtube. You're keeping it so you can always rearrange the film?
Yep - kept it all and Miles is transferring all of it - along with the plane FX Roger generously shot as well. I might do a few tweaks on the edit when I reassemble it in HD - the big thing though will be tackling the audio which wasn't much good first time around - as you can see (or hear!) on youtube now

Scot
mattias

Post by mattias »

Looking forward to it. I have the DVD and would love to replace the disc in the box with something HD. Oh, and I really need to do this with "sisten i är en skit" as well.